Caravanning.....hobby?

LandyandBailey

Whenever I travel on business I buy a caravan magazine (and a Land Rover magazine).

The caravan magazine (which it seems is very hard to find in airport departures!) seems to contain numerous references like "our hobby".

My question is this. ...do the readers of this forum think that the word 'hobby' covers their involvement in caravans? Is it a word that desrcibes the role your 'van' plays in your life. ...?

I have to say that I don't see it as a hobby. ..it just dosent qualify for these reasons:

1) I don't do it enough

2) I don't need to make/repair and practise a great deal to do it

3) relative to my wealth. ..its too expensive to be a hobby

4) My hobbies don't require the consmuption of annual leave!

for me its just a brilliant way of getting a young family away and for the wife and I to relax along the way.

Any thoughts?

Freelander 1. 8i or Discovery TD5 and Bailey Ranger

I think it could be determined as a hobby, or, a means to an end, it all depends on how you use your van, or many other factors. As a buyer also of Land Rover magazines, can you say your car is your hobby, well it depends what it is and what you do with t.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

Yes a lifestyle !

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

I dont see it as a hobby either,for me its a portable hut which means I can go places without taking the bit of pot luck that goes with renting holiday accommodation, but for those who use theirs more frequently I can see how it could be considered so. I never considered my cars/vehicles as hobbies either, but based on the amount of time I spend fixing things that are not broken, maintaining things that really dont need maintaining for many more months or miles and cleaning the clean I think they probably could be considered as such.

Whilst I appreciate that a lot of people on here also refer to caravanning as a hobby, I'm one of those who thinks that our caravan is a means to an end - a holiday home, just like our tent collection and our camper.

Thinking about it, going on holiday would never be described as a hobby either, would it. Particularly as a lot of people never get the opportunity to go away for a proper holiday.

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see (GK Chesterton)

There's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong equipment (Alfred Wainwright)

We think of caravanning as our alternative to hotel accommodation when touring. We've been disapponted so many times at the quality of some of the hotels that had been booked for us by some travel agent. We like to be able to know what bed awaits us every night. Besides, we hate having to unpack and pack suitcases if staying each day at a different hotel. Also, we can decide for ourselves when we want to get up in the morning and have our breakfast. We can eat what we like when we like when caravanning. It's the independence that suits us better.

We only stay at hotels if it's not worth getting the caravan out of storage for just a day or two or if staying long enough at one location where we know in advance that we won't be disappointed. The only alternative that comes close to caravanning is a sea cruise, but then the destinations are somewhat different.

No, caravanning is not a hobby.

There was a debate on here not long ago about wether you are a "Caravaner" or a caravan "User" I guess this question poses the same dilemma. But for us it is our hobby, we camp regularly, we use it for our main holidays, and it is the centre of our social net work. Definitely a hobby for us.

Volvo XC60 D5 AWD AUTO. Lunar Lexon 570

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

2 x darling grandaughters and her

More a way of life

Yes a lifestyle !

I for one totally agree it's a way of life. no great life debate it just is. :D

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room. B)

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow; Don't walk behind me, I may not lead; Walk beside me, and just be my friend.

For us caravanning is as others have said a way of life as we prefer the van to stopping in hotels etc in the UK our own space and do as we want. The hobby part is visiting sites of interest,towns and areas etc while we are away.

I think it probably is a hobby for me but then it is a lifestyle as well. Just now thinking about this before I go to the NEC Show where incidentally I don't need to go, I started thinking about all the aspects of our life that are directed towards enabling us to live in the van abroad 4 months a year .

We would not have considered buying a house without parking or prohibition on caravan parking.

I run a large car that rarely leaves the house without the caravan attached.

We don't have pets that would interfere with it.

I don't take up other hobbies that would be incompatible with it.

Much of our clothing (particularly OH) is chosen on the basis "I can wear that in the van" or " I cant see you walking around a campsite in that evening dress"

We are constantly looking for recipes that would suit caravan cooking and books to go in the caravan box.

All insurance has to be appropriate for the extended absences

Finally we could swap this for hotels and cruises and save money but we dont.

Edited by David in Cheshire

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk

We began caravanning as a means to do more with our real hobby - competing with our dogs in agility competitions. Without the caravan this would be much harder & we would be much more limited in the shows we could participate in. We also use it for 3 weeks or so away on holiday each year, as holidaying with 5 dogs any other way just isn't practical.

Is caravanning a hobby to us - no. Having said that, I can't see us ever being without the caravan until we are too old & infirm to continue & we just love being away in it.

Jim

Lunar Clubman SE Towed by Vauxhall Vivaro containing 6 border collies

I've never seen it as a hobby either, more of a hideaway to escape to any weekend we can. I work from home so any weekend I can get away is a bonus.

To me it would be a hobby if money wasn't an issue and you could spend your days "tinkering" about in a fleet of old caravans and restoring them without having to worry about work etc.

Compass Shadow 1988

Oxford Dictionary definition of hobby

an activity done regularly in one’s leisure time for pleasure

Sums up our caravanning feelings very well!

Dave

Discovery 4 HSE 2015, Bailey Unicorn S4 Barcelona 2018.
http://www. mycaravan. org. uk/

For us it is definitely a hobby as our van is more than just a place to sleep its also a restoration project and something that we exhibit at shows. But I think of camping in general as one of my hobbies, I go camping for the love of camping rather than simply as a type of holiday.

1962 Prototype Everyman Folding Caravan "Herbert" & Pennine Aztec Folding Camper, towed by Kia Carens CRDI.

Read my blog - The Outside In - Find it in the Blogs Section!

Come to our St. George's day DA rally, it's more like a BNP rally with every unit decorated with the Cross of St. George, still, why should we be ashamed of our Patron saint. .?

Volvo XC60 D5 AWD AUTO. Lunar Lexon 570

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

2 x darling grandaughters and her

It wasn't meant as a patron comment, I meant that we may see it as a hobby yet other cultures do different things with their pasttime or leisure time.

I feel it more as a leisure activity coupled with the fact that we Brits love to moan about work and getting away fits the bill as a relief.

A hobby is something personal that gives an end result - whatever that may be.

H.

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink:

I certainly consider it a hobby, although I would also consider it a way of life.

I am lucky enough to have been a regular caravanner since I started (with my parents and then later with my own unit) way back in 1969.

Most of my caravanning is at rallies which can be anywhere between 5 and 80 miles away.

If it was just a means to an end, I don't think I would bother with the very near ones.

As it is, I just enjoy being away from home in the caravan, at any time of year, however near.

Surely that defines it as my hobby?

Ssangyong Korando Sports SX / Adria Altea 472DS Eden

Deleted as Inappropriate ( even though it was just a couple of smileys

Edited by Alexbee

I suppose that going on rallies could be considered as a hobby. Regular meets with like minded folk and usually a theme to go with it?

A darn expensive hobby though ;)

H.

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink:

Something crossed my mind whilst helping my son do his citizenship homework on culture differences and leisure.

Is caravaning a predominately white activity? I must say I have never come across black or asians on sites we have visited despite my indian neighbour saying he would love to come but his wife would rather walk to London bare footed.

H.

I have a feeling this has come up before (because I have a feeling that I commented on it before). I'd say, that generally speaking, blacks and Asians who holiday in Britain seem to be a rare sight with or without caravans (I certainly don't see a huge number in Cornwall). I suspect that anyone who has family overseas may bank their holiday allowance and make a long trip to see them (I know that when my ex-husband worked as a bus driver up country a number of his colleagues used to bank their leave and go to wherever to see family for a month).

Interestingly, my Dad says the same of cruises. There was a Sikh couple on the Baltic cruise he went on last year, and at 90 as he is completely tact-free he actually pointed out to them that they were an unusual sight!!! Fortunately, no offence was caused and they agreed with him.

What I really want to know is, where are all the Chinese? You don't see them out and about, and you definitely don't come across them on holiday.

Obviously, as none of us on this forum know each other (or very few do) maybe there is someone in our midst who can put us out of our misery, tell us that they have a caravan, and tell us why they are in a minority :)

Edited by alison01326

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see (GK Chesterton)

There's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong equipment (Alfred Wainwright)

I have a feeling this has come up before (

Youre right it has. Ive seen an Asian family on a campsite but honestly never noticed if they had a van a tent or a static, but you dont see many. Maybe its cultural, probably their idea of a holiday is to relax and do something different. Maybe fretting about noseweights, water consumption, best dish for getting Corrie, rabid dogs and children, adults who stay up late talking, road hogs and all the other things that seem to suck the joy out of camping ( caravanning ) is alien to them. :)

Its defo not a hobby, its an economical and fiscal decision that allows me to visit different places and sleep, eat and poop in a tin box in a field. The different degrees of comfort can be measured in pound notes but alas the more expensive the rig, the less these people seem to enjoy their weekends. We hook Mildred up, drag her to a field, set her up, open the fridge and breath in the cow muck, its great. Better than listening to all the cars going by outside and kids screaming after the pubs shut. The wide open is an escape for us, so is it a hobby, defo no, its a lifestyle choice.

Im back to motorhoming with a scooter on the back again.

Thanks everyone for your responses. ..........this is a great forum.

I think it could be determined as a hobby, or, a means to an end, it all depends on how you use your van, or many other factors. As a buyer also of Land Rover magazines, can you say your car is your hobby, well it depends what it is and what you do with t.

Marks. .....after all the money I have spent on running/repairing 2 Land Rovers in the last few years my heart has not yet been broken by these beasts. .. this must be a hobby. ..otherwise I can't hink what it is that makes me so tolerant of them and their traits/issues. :D

Freelander 1. 8i or Discovery TD5 and Bailey Ranger