Not Sure Where My Waters Disappearing To

Phillippa42

Used caravan for the first time this weekend.

Took a secondhand aquaroll with s, 40litre one. I don't think it leaks as I filled it with sterilising solution before we went away and it kept the water in all day.

So filled up on site, put the pump in the aquaroll and attached to the caravan. Two of us in the vAn, didnt use the shower. Washed up once, filled the kettle once,filled dog bowl and a bit of hand washing. Next morning the aquaroll is nearly empty. Filled up again and it lasted a day with same usage.

The wastemaster was less than half full at the end of the two days. So I think I've lost water somewhere.

Check your pump is fitting properly. . mine leaks if not pushed fully in as soon as you switch a tap on it leaks from the pump attachment also check you have closed any drain down taps or valves

Live life to the full you are a long time dead

Don't forget that to prime the water system you will use around 12 to 15 ltrs of water, filling the heater and pipework, before you start to use any water from the taps for domestic use.

Check your screw tops are both tight. We left the top one slightly loose (we leave it on its side with the handle on) so we were loosing half the water immediately. We didn't notice the wet patch on the hardstanding as it rained the whole weekend ! ;) We wondered why we were getting through twice as much as normal. ...... :rolleyes:

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

Looking through the paperwork I think the water heater is a Carver Cascade Rapide.

I'll look at the pump attachment next time I have a tap running and see if I can see any water coming out then. Hopefully its that simple. Don't think its the screw tops on the aquaroll as it didnt leak last week when full of water in the garden.

Any water which is used for priming the system would surely end up in the wastemaster wouldn't it? Plus I just can't believe we used 80 litres of water in two days. No cooking and no showers.

Phillipa, the cascade heater takes 9 ltrs to fill it, plus all the pipework to the various taps and it does not end up in the wastemater, it stays in the pipework until you open the drain bung on the heater to drain it all out.

You would be very surprised just how much water you do get through in a day.

40 ltrs is not uncommon.

Ah, ok. Where might the drain bung be as I haven't drained the system down then. Is it the red thing by the pump inlet on the outside of the caravan?

No, didnt look for leaks. It didnt really cross my mind until packing up this morni g that we seemed to have used a lot of water and that the wastemaster didn't seem very full.

Phillipa, the cascade heater takes 9 ltrs to fill it, plus all the pipework to the various taps and it does not end up in the wastemater, it stays in the pipework until you open the drain bung on the heater to drain it all out.

You would be very surprised just how much water you do get through in a day.

40 ltrs is not uncommon.

Unless the caravan shower is being used I doubt that two people will use as much as 20 litre / day after the system is filled. Mine you I would not take two aquarolls iff I was away for a weekend unless showering in the caravan

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

During the winter it is wise to drain down whenever the van is towed.

You are lucky the system has not frozen up and caused a leak somewhere or has it?

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

The van is new to me so had no water in it at all prior to this weekend. I bought it from a dealer just last week.

This morning there was no water coming out the taps so I assumed the system was empty and didnt do anything else.

Edited by Phillippa42

Your drain thingy may be beside the water heater. I am unfamiliar with a Cascade heater but have a look beside the water heater and see if there is some kind of lever. In theory, if you've left it open, you won't get any water to your taps as it will all pour out the hole, but folk are right when they say that your water heater has to fill up first which takes a big chunk out of the contents of your Aquaroll.

Very simple question. When you filled your Aquaroll this time did you use the side or the top. If the side, was it properly tightened or had it cross threaded. It may have been when you sterilised it, but not after you filled it this time.

What's "a bit of handwashing" - bowl full of water for washing, and another bowl (or two) for rinsing?

We usually have to fill up our Aquaroll most days -all though there are three of us but the 8 year old doesn't think showers are necessary when on holiday!

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see (GK Chesterton)

There's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong equipment (Alfred Wainwright)

We used the aquaroll stood on its end, so pump going into the top.

Hand washing was letting the tap run and so was rinsing the plates for dish washing. I need to stop doing this don't I? I guess that can use a lot of water. Maybe that's it, but I'm just suprised there didn't seem to be more in the wastemaster. But if some of the water is still in the pipes that may explain it.

Will have to go back to the storage ASAP and have a look to see about draining it all down.

Thanks everyone.

We always fill up, once a day after b'fast. An aquaroll won't ever last (for us) 2 days.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

If you used 80 litres there must be a leek. If we say 12 litres in the water pipes and heater that leaves over 65 litres. If you drank 5 litres each a day (a lot of cups of tea) that would still leave over 40 litres to go in a wastemaster (via washing etc) that holds under 40 litres.

Edited by Easy T

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Ah now that photo rings a bell. The caravan bloke said something about sticking a penny in and turning it.

But my friend who was with me said I didn't need to. He said the previous owner had made a modification. If looking at that picture my outer cover has a grey bit of piping at the bottom right with some sort of red bung in it. My friend reckoned that doing something to that bung would drain the system instead of fiddling with the plug on the left side. Can't remember what he said now so will have to ring him tomorrow. I did try fiddling with the red thing this morning but couldn't remember if I was meant to pull it out or push it in and nothing seemed to happen either way so I left it!

There was less than 20 litres in the waste master. I mainly drank bottled water. Had three cups of tea all weekend, my daughter just had bottled water.

If we were not using the shower then 40 litres would easily last me and OH two days with some to spare.

Edited by Easy T

Alan

Hi

This is just a thought, you say the wastemaster was less than half full after two barrels of water? What if you didnt have the waste pipes that go into your wastemaster pushed into the waste pipes enough and the water was landing on the ground and only some was finding its way into the wastemaster ? Just a thought!! :)

Olympus. .... :)

Lunar Lexon 640 matched to an Antara 2. 2 163 Exclusive.

Sounds like previous owner modified the drain system so you pull out the red plug to drain. So make sure red plug is in - if I'm right!

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Hi

This is just a thought, you say the wastemaster was less than half full after two barrels of water? What if you didnt have the waste pipes that go into your wastemaster pushed into the waste pipes enough and the water was landing on the ground and only some was finding its way into the wastemaster ? Just a thought!! :)

Olympus. .... :)

I can't see the OP using bottled water for drinking, not showering in the van using 80 litres of water in 2 days

Alan

We always use one 40L Aquaroll a day, no showers and we drink bottled water. We do make all our own meals though so there's lots of washing up !

Edited by Shirl250

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.