Noirmoutier -En -L'ile

I read a newspaper article promoting the island of Noirmoutier as a more laid back alternative to the Ile de Re and would welcome the opinion of anyone who has been there.

We liked the Ile d'Oleron and really love the Ile de Re - but think it may time for a change. This year we have to travel early in May which might be a tad early for somewhere more northerly. If so we might wait for our late August trip.

We do not need all singing all dancing sites but do like to be within fairly short cycling distance of a town/village.

Your advice would be appreciated.

Have been over onto Noirmoutier twice now when staying in Vendee, and to be honest it doesn't do it for me. Its a reasonable size and guess there are some lovely places we simply haven't seen.

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

We visited Noirmoutier years ago & enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere of the place. We went over the tidal causeway to get there & came back over the newly completed bridge. I don't think I would like to spend weeks there as we are not beach people & like to get out & about sightseeing but if you like sun & sand & an afternoon with a good book after a nice meal give it a try.

Subaru Outback 2. 0 DSE 2015, Coachman Pastiche 460/2, Lunar Ultima Extra 540,

, Pwrtouch mover, Quest Rolli awning.

We visited Noirmoutier two years ago while staying at St Jean De Monts. The beaches seemed very nice but apart from that it was very flat farm land similar to the fens. We had been told by caravaners on our site that it wasn't worth going to and we agreed with them. I haven't been to the other two Iles so can't compare.

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

I spent a week there once and used the Municipal du Midi site. It was ok but we may not have seen the island at its best due to the early season weather, in comparison with the other 2 it is not as pretty or interesting as Re and not being a fan of Oleron I would certainly place it higher than there. Plenty of opportunities for cycling but a little more of it will be on the roads than Re.

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk

Thanks for these replies - seems we shall not be visiting Noirmoutier!

There is no substitute for first hand experience of destinations. I know we all have a different view of what is 'good' but in this case it looks like we should be better moving down the coast or inland to the Loire.

We don't have time to go too far South this year so we are hoping that the wet weather will be gone by May and the riverside sites that we love are not still waterlogged.

It's definately worth a visit. The causeway is great. Best place ever to buy salt.

If I'd have known I was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more last night