C P C Required Large R V's ?

Bobby Brocklebank

Waiting to start my CPC (Certificate of Professional Competence) Course now a requirement to drive HGV. ... Would I be right in saying that if you are not driving a HGV Commercially you do not require your CPC ? I am under the impression you do need it as a HGV licence holder. Military and Emergency Service are exempt. Plus what about these big RV's and 5th Wheel trailers even some twins that have MAM's of between 3. 5 and 7. 5 tonnes requiring a Cat C Licence would you need a CPC for this type of vehicle ?? Just curious that's all plus no mention it in the . Gov stuff !!!

GAS . .... :angry:

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good question GAS, the people you are taking your CPC with should be able to advice on that.

My ADR runs out this year, I've done part one and two of the CPC but as I have now retired I probably will not renew any of them as the CPC is on going every 5 years as I'm sure you know.

You are correct in your assumption! If you drive a vehicle which is classed as an LGV/HGV then you do need a CPC and carry your DQC with your licence at all times, EC or domestic hours rules will also apply. More money,,,,,,more hassle. ....

If it isnt a Hire or Reward situation then only normal Regulations apply.

Geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Waiting to start my CPC (Certificate of Professional Competence) Course now a requirement to drive HGV. ... Would I be right in saying that if you are not driving a HGV Commercially you do not require your CPC ? I am under the impression you do need it as a HGV licence holder. Military and Emergency Service are exempt. Plus what about these big RV's and 5th Wheel trailers even some twins that have MAM's of between 3. 5 and 7. 5 tonnes requiring a Cat C Licence would you need a CPC for this type of vehicle ?? Just curious that's all plus no mention it in the . Gov stuff !!!

For private use a CPC is not needed.

From one of many websites dealing with such matters. ..

Driver CPC is not required if the vehicle you drive is:

• used for non-commercial carriage of passengers or goods for personal use
  • used to carry material or equipment that you use for your job - but driving the vehicle can't be the main part of your job
  • used for driving lessons for anyone who wants to get a driving licence or a Driver CPC
  • used by, or is under the control of, the armed forces, civil defence, the fire service and forces responsible for maintaining public order
  • used in states of emergency or for rescue missions

I remember, 30 years ago, my father wanting to buy a full size bus for his scout group. He was trying to find out what licence he needed.

It got escalated all the way to the Chief Constable. The upshot was that he didn't need an HGV, as it wasn't a goods vehicle. He didn't need a PSV, as it wasn't for hire or reward. So despite it not feeling right, they concluded a normal car licence.

It all fell apart when he couldn't get any insurance!

Some of the US RVs are over 7. 5t and need a HGV licence to drive them . You only need a C1 if the vehicle is over 3500kg and if used for a 5th wheel and then the vehicle is limited to MTW.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

For private use a CPC is not needed.

From one of many websites dealing with such matters. ..

Driver CPC is not required if the vehicle you drive is:

• used for non-commercial carriage of passengers or goods for personal use
  • used to carry material or equipment that you use for your job - but driving the vehicle can't be the main part of your job
  • used for driving lessons for anyone who wants to get a driving licence or a Driver CPC
  • used by, or is under the control of, the armed forces, civil defence, the fire service and forces responsible for maintaining public order
  • used in states of emergency or for rescue missions

Cheers Beejay, Starting to do a bit of revision for my nonsensical CPC. The RV issue was more for curiosity. .. If Scotland gets its Independence which I hope doesn't happen will no need my CPC as we will not be part of the EU !! :blink:

GAS . ...... :angry:

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "

As above. You are not using it for work so not required.

H.

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink:

The RV thing is an interesting one. Most RV's, but not all, weigh over 7500kg, so "technically" a HGV. However, you cannot do a HGV test driving an RV!

Next up, there was a case of a guy who was stopped by the police for speeding or a random check or something in his RV. He said his bit but was then asked for licence. The licence was a "grandfather rights" type - so he was good for up to 7500 kg only. The case went to court but was dropped on lack of evidence, partially the defence was what I have said above - "If it's a HGV, please may I do my test in it" NO!!!

My personal view is that an RV is more like a coach - it looks like one for a start, and like a coach, it carries people not cargo. So you have a coach licence - can you drive an RV - NO!!!

I'm trying to find the documentation about the court case. I know I kept it, but where, is a mystery

In the meantime, Google "RV, over 7500kg, licence". You'll soon get bored!

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Hi Smeesh, who you doing it with?

Duncan

61 Santa Fe & 2011 Bailey Olympus 624

. ..................Glad I don't have to redo my CPC ( Transport Managers) every 5 years. ....it took long enough when I was doing the work but to restart everything again. ......urghhhhhhhhh.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

I wouldn't worry Geoff, the driver cpc has nothing in common with the proper one and very little to do with actual driving or the industry.

It would be of use to new starters to the industry who have no knowledge of the rules, but for anyone who has done a year or two, then it's pointless.

H.

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink:

I'm on my last 7 hours tomorrow morning, 35 hours of classroom work. .. Glad that's over. ..

Citroen ds4 2. 0 hdi 163bhp Lunar Venus 500 2012.

The RV thing is an interesting one. Most RV's, but not all, weigh over 7500kg, so "technically" a HGV. However, you cannot do a HGV test driving an RV

I am going to open a can of worms here, but an RV is not an HGV.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

an RV is not an HGV.

Agreed as it is not a goods vehicle, and the V5 describes ours as a "Motorhome", however come MOT time, it has to go to an HGV testing station (at £234 a pop) as the chassis and running gear are all straight from an American Ford truck, and for road taxation purposes it's called a "Private HGV".

So take your pick, as it appears that at 6500kgs unladen, it does not fit neatly into any UK vehicle catagory.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

I was under the impression that the class of vehicle it is, it only required a car type mot, but you certainly need heavier equipment to test an RV.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

I was under the impression that the class of vehicle it is, it only required a car type mot, but you certainly need heavier equipment to test an RV.

I believe the smaller ones can be tested at the car MOT stations, but because of the size, ours has to go to the HGV test centre, and that clearly has financial implications.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

OK. , I stand corrected. Strange to think I could go out and buy a 42 ton rated vehicle combination and use it for personal/no goods/no hire or reward!!

Thanks for all the info. , will be useful at the Pub quiz?

OK. , I stand corrected. Strange to think I could go out and buy a 42 ton rated vehicle combination and use it for personal/no goods/no hire or reward!!

You would need a HGV licence and still covered by a tacho and the number of hours you could drive.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Just done a course on this. Driver C. P. C. only needed if you are carrying goods.

Really? So an empty LGV will not need the driver to hold one then? So why is every LGV licensed fitter in the country having to do it too?

And as bus drivers need one too, then are people goods now?

Has the revolution finally begun?

If you need to have the C 1 + E category on your licence first.