Al-Ko Wheel Locks

Chris308

We picked up our new caravan today and have the Al-ko wheel lock. The lock doesn't screw into the socket very far - it feels as though the thread on the lock is slightly bigger than the receptor. It screws in about 2 threads and then feels too tight although there is still some movement in the lock itself.

Is this normal?

We picked up our new caravan today and have the Al-ko wheel lock. The lock doesn't screw into the socket very far - it feels as though the thread on the lock is slightly bigger than the receptor. It screws in about 2 threads and then feels too tight although there is still some movement in the lock itself.

Is this normal?

No it's not normal, either the thread is crossed or has not been tapped correctly.

Chris,

I've had that happen to me on a few occasions, and it usually means I'm not perfectly aligning the bolt into the receiver - a little roll of the wheel one way or the other usually does the trick.

Don't force it as you can easily cross the thread, and then you're in trouble!

Alternatively, perhaps the receiver needs a spray of grease if it's new or not been used for a while.

Good luck,

John

Edited by Johnaldo

Didn't the sales demonstrate it? If so you may not be spot on with alignment. Not a lot of leeway

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

OK. It isn't threaded so it may be the receptor has not have been tapped correctly. I tried to screw it in without the lock fitted and it becomes too stiff after going on the first 2 threads. I didn't want to force it and risk damaging the threads or getting it stuck so left it as it was.

Back to the dealer then.

Sounds like it's cross threaded . Does the screw look like the thread is not damaged or a Burr.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Ring alko they supply a tap to re thread the holder happened to me one lock fit great other 2 turns. Easy to repair.

Terry.

Lunar Delta RS, Ford Explorer. Ford Ranger

I have two of them on my twin axle, they both go in a looooooong way. So there are four possibilities with yours:.

1. Thread damage, (If not visible on the bolt must be in the receptor).
2. If new the bolt has not been finish threaded, (Therefore oversized).
3. If new, the receptor has not been fully finish tapped, (Therefore undersized).
4. Cross threaded in the past.

Twin Axle Fleetwood Heritage 640 EST - pulled by a dual fuel, (Petrol/LPG) BMW 528i Auto

If you can hand turn the bolt in, WITHOUT the lock in place, but you can't enter it, THROUGH the lock, then the problem is slight misalignment.

David

Edited by Swizz

Swizz

If its a new van I would return it to the dealer. It sounds like the receiver hole has not been correctly tapped. Your dealer will have a second tap to run down it, but if you do it yourself and cross thread it you will end up shelling out for a new receiver. Not cheap! Ask the dealer if they can send someone out, it would save you returning the van, You never know, good customer relations etc.

Mitsubishi Shogun 3. 2 SG3 197 BHP, 2014, Auto in White . Looking for a 7m German caravan.

Thanks for the replies. I will have to take it back to the dealer.

It goes in about 2 turns with or without the lock in place so it isn't misalignment. It just looks like the threads are very slightly too big for the socket.

I had occasional difficulty centreing the wheel lock on my van. Found it easier to judge by screwing the bolt in prior to making the final small adjustments. Bolt gives me a better reference to judge centre of the gap for the lock.

Ford "FutureTaxi". less bhp than last year, sticky toffy down seat rail. Towing big white box with comfy seats and some steak knives from daughters boyfriend.

• 2 weeks later...

I took it back to the dealer on Tuesday and all sorted out in less than an hour, together with an adjustment to the shower screen. Roll on our first trip out this weekend.

thanks for the replies.

Edited by Chris308

Glad it's sorted to your satisfaction, Chris.

Can you satisfy our curiosities as to what the problem was, and how it was fixed?

And have a good trip out this weekend.

John

I'm not sure exactly what the problem was but it appeared that the threads on the socket or the bolt weren't finished to a standard where they ran freely. They cleared this, coated everything in copper grease and I can now secure the lock by hand and only need the wrench to do a final 'nip'.

Sorry it is a little vague, I didn't go into the detail - I lost interest in the problem once it worked as it should.