How Do I Move Forward

ministeve

I don't know if this is in the right place but here goes

a tile flew off the roof the other day and proceeded to land and bounce along my challenger roof I have told the landlord what has happened I got the reply he will get someone out to fix house roof but no mention of the van what I want to know is could I get my roof fixed on his insurance or do I foot the bill myself.

I may be able to fix myself but I think resale value would be dented

the van is a 2004 model but is in very good order and very clean

thanks for any advice

Just put a claim in to your insurance and give them your landlords details. If they pursue him for the money its up to them.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

It would be on your landlord's public liability insurance which he should have, hopefully.

But, as dreadly says, let your insurance co. sort it.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I may be wrong but I suspect that it is your liability unless the roof was in disrepair (particularly given recent winds - act of God). If the roof was in poor repair then you might need to take action against the landlord should you wish him to pay.

Is your van insured? If so claim on your insurance. If your insurer thinks there is a case he may may a claim against the landlord. If the roof was in general good repair though I doubt so.

If not insured I suspect that the best you can hope for is a contribution from your landlord if he is feeling generous. You can always ask

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Unfortunately I think Easy T is correct. I also doubt that you are alone as many cars will also have been damaged by flying roof tiles.

Unfortunately I am pretty sure that I am correct Chris.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

I may be wrong but I suspect that it is your liability unless the roof was in disrepair (particularly given recent winds - act of God). If the roof was in poor repair then you might need to take action against the landlord should you wish him to pay.

Is your van insured? If so claim on your insurance. If your insurer thinks there is a case he may may a claim against the landlord. If the roof was in general good repair though I doubt so.

If not insured I suspect that the best you can hope for is a contribution from your landlord if he is feeling generous. You can always ask

I believe the landlord is responsible for all building repairs and they also have building insurance. If in doubt phone citizens advice and ask them.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

I would start with the caravan insurers. ..know someone who had a branch off neighbours tree hit side and they covered him. ..

Geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

How high was the wind on the day in question? If it was force 8-9+, I think that the landlord has a defence to your claim, but if not, I think that a nuisance claim would fail.

It could be that it is not cost effective to repair if it needs a new roof .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

I believe that your first course of action is to place a claim direct to your landlord. It would be his decision whether to reject or accept your claim and his decision as to whether he addresses the claim to his insurers.

If your claim is rejected then you should claim from your insurers, who may choose to pursue your landlord for recompense.

The point is, if you claim from your insurance, you may affect any NCD which is applied to you policy.

Pete
Range Rover(s) towing Buccaneer Caravel

I believe that your first course of action is to place a claim direct to your landlord. It would be his decision whether to reject or accept your claim and his decision as to whether he addresses the claim to his insurers.

If your claim is rejected then you should claim from your insurers, who may choose to pursue your landlord for recompense.

The point is, if you claim from your insurance, you may affect any NCD which is applied to you policy.

But I don't think he is insured which is why he has asked the question.

Anyway he hasn't been back.

Edited by Jslocks

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

I note your point but you have made an unsubstantiated assumption.

Pete

I note your point but you have made an unsubstantiated assumption.

I only thought that because the obvious course of action would be to contact his insurance as he wouldn't have needed to ask the original question.

John

Did you have permission to park the caravan at the property from the landlord?

Dave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

I only thought that because the obvious course of action would be to contact his insurance as he wouldn't have needed to ask the original question.

I understand you reasoning but my personal default process would always be to go for the person, letting them choose to defray costs and as a last resort fall back onto any protection I have in place.

The law is not sympathetic. It only considers liability. Who actually pays is dependent on the extent of protection a party has secured.

I believe that the landlord is liable and whether or not his insurance will pay out is his problem.

It may well be that as a result of this incident, the landlord may choose to invoke an existing caveat or try to introduce a new caveat restricting parking of caravans on the rented land. The former may have implication to this claim. The second would be subject to contention.

Edited by Superpete

Pete

He would be foolish not to have buildings insurance.

Exactly the same happened to me some years ago. ...a tile onto my daughter's car parked on the drive. House insurance paid up despite original refusal telling her to claim on car insurance then quoting "act of God". After discussing state of roof prior to the storm it was agreed they would pay the claim.

He would be foolish not to have buildings insurance.

Exactly the same happened to me some years ago. ...a tile onto my daughter's car parked on the drive. House insurance paid up despite original refusal telling her to claim on car insurance then quoting "act of God". After discussing state of roof prior to the storm it was agreed they would pay the claim.

Didn't mean the landlord! I meant Steve.

John

As a landlord he should have liability insurance in place, if he hasn't then you should claim from him direct, it's not your fault the tile blew off his roof. As has already been said, this could be contentious and may cause bigger problems with the landlord. But having said that, what would have happened if it had come down INSIDE the house and injured you? what would you do then? The landlord has a responsibility of care over his tenants as well as his property. Seek the advice of C. A. B. ..Peter

Peter and Sandy pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 565 with

2016 Ford Kuga 2. 0. 180 ps. Titanium Nav.

Retired and loving it.

thanks guys I have no cover on the van with any company at the mo so I may have to take it on the chin if he refuses to talk to his insurance what would he do if it hit next doors car or mine would he stop me parking on a 3 car drive I rent off him my car would have been where the van was if it was somewhere else

thanks

I think CAB to get advice on the best way to phrase a letter and then send him a letter. If he ignores you could use small claims court. But at the end of the day, are you happy to upset him? You have to weigh it all up. So far you haven't said how much it will cost to repair.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

thanks guys I have no cover on the van with any company at the mo so I may have to take it on the chin if he refuses to talk to his insurance what would he do if it hit next doors car or mine would he stop me parking on a 3 car drive I rent off him my car would have been where the van was if it was somewhere else

thanks

What if your caravan had caught fire and set his property on fire and damaged it with no insurance ?Just because you rent the property it would not allow you to store a caravan without permission and I think he can just say it should not been there then it would not of got damaged.

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto