Using Power From Car Battery!

Tyton

We have a U2 Cadiz as we seldom go on commercial site we tend to rely on out batteries.

On out old van (swift) had a switch allowing me to either use the van battery or if the car was hooked up and engine off we could use the supply from the car battery in an emergency. In the cadiz I don't think this is a option can anyone confirm this?

Cheers Clive and Jill

Or even car battery.

Edited by Tyton

I think you'll find that the PDU takes care of it all for you Tyton.

We fight not for glory, nor for wealth nor honours . ..

but only and alone we fight for freedom,

which no good man surrenders but with his life.

Hi Highland man thanks for the reply. I just a little confused if the PDU takes care of it that's fine bit I would have thought the van battery had to be isolated or it would pull the car battery down to its level, so there would usually be a mechanical switch wouldn't there??

To be honest I'm not entirely sure. Perhaps naively I always thought it was taken care of by the electronics in the PDU but I could be wrong. Perhaps someone on here with a better knowledge of electrical systems might enlighten both of us.

We fight not for glory, nor for wealth nor honours . ..

but only and alone we fight for freedom,

which no good man surrenders but with his life.

Yes perhaps so. Would be nice if we could use the car in an emergency as we rally most of the time. I'm sure someone will know I wouldn't think it's just a bailey relevant question.

When you plug into the car with the engine off there are relays in the caravan that isolate the caravan battery and switch to the car battery.

Brian

That's just what I wanted the here Brianl thanks.

When you plug into the car with the engine off there are relays in the caravan that isolate the caravan battery and switch to the car battery.

Brian

What about the power relay in the car that isolates the 12v to the friidge/charging system of the van when the engine is not running so u wouldn't have any through power from the car battery to the towing electrics when the engine is off unless you bypass this relay. or run the engine for the period u need power. Edited by langers8

You are right there is no CAR/VAN switch or equivalent in the U1 or U2. Like you i rely on batteries and a solar panel. After a chat with Bailey on how the van decides where to take power from I now have a battery in a separate battery box and a switch that I can change over to decide whether the van runs from the internal battery or the one in the standalone battery box. The solar panel has a dual battery controller so that regardless of which battery is in use both of the batteries are being charged.

I would not recommend you wire your second battery to the 'car live' on theh 13 pin plug as this will also activate the Alko stabiliser circuit and draw current needlessly.

Edited by asklowey

What about the power relay in the car that isolates the 12v to the friidge/charging system of the van when the engine is not running so u wouldn't have any through power from the car battery to the towing electrics when the engine is off unless you bypass this relay. or run the engine for the period u need power.

You are correct in that no power is supplied to the fridge but there is a permanent 12v supply on pin 9 (13 pin), pin 4 (12S). This allows you to have power fed from the car battery. Always assuming your towbar is wired correctly.

Running the car engine isolates all 12v power in the caravan except for fridge and battery charging.

Brian

What about the power relay in the car that isolates the 12v to the friidge/charging system of the van when the engine is not running so u wouldn't have any through power from the car battery to the towing electrics when the engine is off unless you bypass this relay. or run the engine for the period u need power.

sorry bri stupid time to post just woke up passing time till getting up for work should have known better as I have just rewired my motor after numerous fuse melts after towbar centre wired my motor into onboard fusebox with micro fuses 4 yr ago. Not quite thinking straight.

You are correct in that no power is supplied to the fridge but there is a permanent 12v supply on pin 9 (13 pin), pin 4 (12S). This allows you to have power fed from the car battery. Always assuming your towbar is wired correctly. Running the car engine isolates all 12v power in the caravan except for fridge and battery charging. Brian

sorry bri stupid time to post just woke up passing time till getting up for work should have known better as I have just rewired my motor after numerous fuse melts after towbar centre wired my motor into onboard fusebox with micro fuses 4 yr ago. Not quite thinking straight.