Help On Deciding A New Tug

Bigdaddy2000

Hi guys I'm looking for a little help on making my mind up on a new tow car.

The contenders are.

Volvo V70 D5.

Citroen C4 Grand Picasso exclusive + 1. 6 airdream or the 2. 0 blue hdi.

Mitsubishi Outlander 2. 2 GX3.

Vw Sharan 2. 0 140 bhp

Due to ill health and me giving up driving my wife will be the one who is driving and this will be a disability car so the choices are really limited.

The wife really likes the new Grand Picasso but im unsure if the 1. 6 hdi will tow our 99 Bailey Regency 523 and might need to pay the extra £700 for the 2. 0 hdi "the 1. 6 is £1295 advace payment the 2. 0 is 2k"

On to the Volvo V70 D5. Lots of power and a really nice car which the deposit has been reduced to £1500 for the business spec D5 but we could benefit from the extra 2 seats of the Picasso.

Mitsubishi Oulander 2. 2 GX3. Nice looking 4x4 with 7 seats which would come in handy plusbthe added benefit of 4 wheel drive which could come in handy towing. £1799 advance payment.

Truth is if the 1. 6 grand picasso airdream max tow weight of 1500kg and 115 bhp 270nm torque would tow our 99 Bailey Regency 523 with 3 adults and 3 kids it would be our first choice with the £1295 payment

Moving up to the 2k deposit brings the vw Sharan and the Oulander into play.

Any advice would be much appreciated

The Citroen Picasso is a very popular choice amongst Continental caravanners. On this caravan site where I am at the moment in Spain, there are three. If you eventually decide on one, I would certainly go for the 2ltr engine. The 1. 6 ltr is offered in my own towcar's range, and it's regarded as a bit under-powered for a body as heavy as the C5. Also unless the oil changes in the 1. 6ltr engine are frequent and thoroughly carried out, the turbo destroys itself, allowing debris to get into the engine and in turn damaging the cylinders.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

The Citroen Picasso is a very popular choice amongst Continental caravanners. On this caravan site where I am at the moment in Spain, there are three. If you eventually decide on one, I would certainly go for the 2ltr engine. The 1. 6 ltr is offered in my own towcar's range, and it's regarded as a bit under-powered for a body as heavy as the C5. Also unless the oil changes in the 1. 6ltr engine are frequent and thoroughly carried out, the turbo destroys itself, allowing debris to get into the engine and in turn damaging the cylinders.

Thanks for the info, I did think we would be pushing our luck with the 1. 6 so the 2. 0 seems a must which now puts it up there with the Outlander the VW Sharan and V70 Edited by Bigdaddy2000

The d5 has a lovely sound from the engine, and the best seats ever for comfort. Once did 600 miles in a day in one and got out as find just gone round the corner

It would be the Volvo for me

Something to consider - it will be easier to get into and out of the Outlander and Sharan, than the V70.

Edited by onewheelonmywagon

Land Rover is now back towing.

The D5 would be my choice for a tow car simply because it has more torque and delivered around 1500 rpm. Last time I looked at a xc60 with the 2. 4 engine it was 310 Pound feet minimum.

Now sure what the nose weight is though.

Thanks for all the replies guys :) we test drove the V70 today loverly car but to low for me to get in so that's off the list.

Also had a test drive in a grand Picasso 1. 6 hdi manual it was ok but the seating position felt a bit odd and she was stretching a little to press the clutch but managed fine when she adjusted, We then jumped into the 2. 0 hdi auto with the flappy paddle gears and it was a joy and so easy to drive but 2. 5k deposit is really pushing our budget.

We then had a look in the Vauxhall dealer and noticed they have dropped the deposit on the Zafira Tourer Sri 165bhp to £500 now this really opened a can off worms as we never considered it until now, the test drive went great but the car is very light on kit compared to the Picasso.

Maximum tow weights for the 1. 6 picasso and the 2. 0 Zafira Tourer are 1500kg

We both like both cars :) but the wife likes all the extras like sat nav/park assit/panoramic roof etc etc and I would pay the extra £800 as I personally think it's worth it IF it could handle the Caravan.

Test driving the Outander on Wednesday so will report back if you read this far :)

I f you like the Volvo but find it a bit low. Have you considered the XC70 they are a few inches higher. Also 4 wheel drive so you wont get stuck in a wet field. They are a great towcar.

I tried a Volvo XC60 last year before buying a Sorento, Really nice to drive, very comfy seats, but a bit too pricey for me for a decent spec. car, even up to 18 months old.

Nissan X-Trail Kia Sorento, Pegasus 2 Rimini