Solid - No Leaks Reported To Date

Caravanner1

Hi all been to the dealer today, serious about a tempest eb. The dealer advised the solid construction hasn't yet had any damp caravans - I took it with a pinch of salt - can't be true can it????? Surely window seals etc are all still as rubbish as they ever have been?

If I'd have known I was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more last night

We have had our Avante SoLiD for 15 months now, and can report that we have had no damp or water getting past the window seals. I have checked regularly through the last 3 months of heavy rain and not a drop is getting in. So far it has been a good investment with just a couple of small problems ie. grill not lighting and water pump not performing to design, both quickly sorted by our dealer.

David

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise

Hi all been to the dealer today, serious about a tempest eb. The dealer advised the solid construction hasn't yet had any damp caravans - I took it with a pinch of salt - can't be true can it????? Surely window seals etc are all still as rubbish as they ever have been?

Well, if that is true then congrats to Elddis. Have they finally made damp proof vans with their new construction where others have failed? Only time will tell, but an encouraging start nonetheless.

Hi, no its not true. we have damp in our Elddis Avante 540 and Glossop say we are not the first. Its only 10 months old and i am seriously disappointed. I don't particularly want it repaired either as i feel for the money i paid its not too much to expect it to last longer.

Hi, no its not true. we have damp in our Elddis Avante 540 and Glossop say we are not the first. Its only 10 months old and i am seriously disappointed. I don't particularly want it repaired either as i feel for the money i paid its not too much to expect it to last longer.

So have you asked your dealer Glossop for a refund?

Elddis might not want to admit to any leeks but I have two friends, with less than one year old 'Solid' 'vans, that are both leaking from some-where along the roof joints. Like any system it's only as good as those assembling it.

I much preferred the build quality of my previous two Elddis sieves 'vans & also the chassis, but needless to say I'll be sticking with my (dry) Valencia at least until they get their act together.

3L auto Nissan Terrano, 2004 & Swift Elegance 530, 2018. As Leonardo da Vinci once said: 'If you find from your own experience that something is a fact & it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority & base your reasoning on your own findings' ie: use your common sense!

Sorry to hear about the damp. I'm going to go and check mine at the weekend. Can you give any further detail as to the location where the damp was found. You said at roof joints. .......do you mean roof to wall joint? Also is this near side or off side? And where along the length of the van?

Sorry for all the questions

Rich

Hi, the damp is located in the first locker to the left of kitchen, the leak appears to come from the roof joint above this. The people who service the caravan believe that it is a manufacturing fault. Glossop have not been helpful and told us to get it repaired under warranty by the approved service people we used. I mentioned SOGA and they said you would have to have reported it by 6 months - yet we only have to service them at 12 months. She then said that they will not accept the damp report and we would have to tow it to them 90 miles round trip for a 20 min test then take it back home until they can book it in for the work! .

Out of sheer frustration after numerous calls to different people i clicked on the Elddis site and left a message on the contact page that says 'tell us what you think' - so i told them exactly what i thought. I told them that firstly the caravan is freezing with gales blowing around our feet. The heater is useless and we certainly couldn't use the van year round. The blind above the fixed bed broke and we had to pay for it to be fixed as it wasnt a warranty problem. Lastly, after just 10 months the caravan is damp. I ended by saying i would never buy Elddis again and would certainly not recommend them. I got a phone call from customer service today to say that an engineer and a quality manager would like to call and see me on Friday and look at the van. Will let you know what happens.

Hi, the damp is located in the first locker to the left of kitchen, the leak appears to come from the roof joint above this. The people who service the caravan believe that it is a manufacturing fault. Glossop have not been helpful and told us to get it repaired under warranty by the approved service people we used. I mentioned SOGA and they said you would have to have reported it by 6 months - yet we only have to service them at 12 months. She then said that they will not accept the damp report and we would have to tow it to them 90 miles round trip for a 20 min test then take it back home until they can book it in for the work! .

Out of sheer frustration after numerous calls to different people i clicked on the Elddis site and left a message on the contact page that says 'tell us what you think' - so i told them exactly what i thought. I told them that firstly the caravan is freezing with gales blowing around our feet. The heater is useless and we certainly couldn't use the van year round. The blind above the fixed bed broke and we had to pay for it to be fixed as it wasnt a warranty problem. Lastly, after just 10 months the caravan is damp. I ended by saying i would never buy Elddis again and would certainly not recommend them. I got a phone call from customer service today to say that an engineer and a quality manager would like to call and see me on Friday and look at the van. Will let you know what happens.

Under the SoGA I believe that the supplying dealer is correct in saying that you if wish to reject the caravan for a full refund it must be done within six months from the date of purchase.

I also believe that the supplying dealer is correct in expecting the purchaser to take the caravan to their premises for examination of any alleged faults. The other faults which you have identified should really be taken up with the supplying dealer at the time of finding the faults and ask them what they will do to repair the alleged fault.

Further information on the Sale of Goods Act can be found by clicking here

Under the SoGA I believe that the supplying dealer is correct in saying that you if wish to reject the caravan for a full refund it must be done within six months from the date of purchase.

I also believe that the supplying dealer is correct in expecting the purchaser to take the caravan to their premises for examination of any alleged faults. The other faults which you have identified should really be taken up with the supplying dealer at the time of finding the faults and ask them what they will do to repair the alleged fault.

Further information on the Sale of Goods Act can be found by clicking here

Hi Dee Tee

I know that the dealer is right, my query with them is that we can now prove that the fault was there when we picked up the new van. I also have no problem returning the caravan to them, but I felt they were making it difficult by insisting that we go for their damp test when the caravan has been serviced by an approved engineer, and then stating that we would have to bring it back to have the work done.

With regards to the other faults, the dealer suggests that there are no issues with the heating system so in effect there is no fault that they have to fix. Yet, even just off this forum it is demonstrated that the heating system is just not up to the job (i have the Avante 540). The blind was reported, when it broke, that is how i know it wasn't covered by the warranty.

Denise

Denise

Think you will find the SOGA. does not state you have to reject in the first six months. It states in legal jargon the six months bit refers to a burden of proof. In laymans terms. If an item is found to be faulty In the first six months iris assumed to have been faulty from new not fit etc. unless proven otherwise (such as misuse ). Rejection if taken to court because a dealer will not accept depends on the judgement and facts. Not some dealers interpretation which is wrong anyway. After six months the burden of proof for the fault passes to the purchaser. This can be as simple as (I've done nothing wrong and it leaks. ). If it's a non maintainable part then it must be fit for purpose. Given things like price paid. Expectation. Etc

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

Think you will find the SOGA. does not state you have to reject in the first six months. It states in legal jargon the six months bit refers to a burden of proof. In laymans terms. If an item is found to be faulty In the first six months iris assumed to have been faulty from new not fit etc. unless proven otherwise (such as misuse ). Rejection if taken to court because a dealer will not accept depends on the judgement and facts. Not some dealers interpretation which is wrong anyway. After six months the burden of proof for the fault passes to the purchaser. This can be as simple as (I've done nothing wrong and it leaks. ). If it's a non maintainable part then it must be fit for purpose. Given things like price paid. Expectation. Etc

:goodpost: I stand corrected.

Spot on Alan ( as usual) good posting.

• 2 weeks later...

I could be wrong on this one, but my understanding is that a dealer must be given 3 opportunities to rectify an issue before they are obliged to give a refund.

I had a problem with a car I bought through a dealer, and having spoken with a family member in the law profession and Citizens advice I was told the above. Said dealer were unable to rectify the fault after 3 attempts and so I was granted my refund eventually, but it took a long while.

And having recently moved from an Elddis dealer (my new employer don't deal with them), there have been one or two back with ingress, although these have been Buccaneer rather than Elddis proper.

Reading Caravans - Main dealers for Bailey, Swift Group and Lunar

Servicing, warranty and repair work available.

We also offer motor Movers, Covers, Awnings and more from our on-site shop

Contact me on 01189 888111 or ed. ewer@readingcaravans. com

I could be wrong on this one, but my understanding is that a dealer must be given 3 opportunities to rectify an issue before they are obliged to give a refund.

I had a problem with a car I bought through a dealer, and having spoken with a family member in the law profession and Citizens advice I was told the above. Said dealer were unable to rectify the fault after 3 attempts and so I was granted my refund eventually, but it took a long while.

And having recently moved from an Elddis dealer (my new employer don't deal with them), there have been one or two back with ingress, although these have been Buccaneer rather than Elddis proper.

Nothing in the Sale of Goods Act which says this. sad-fart.gif

In my view the problem is that all that that SOGA requires is that items meet the sad fart test.

The trouble is that far too many people are very dogmatic about the rights it gives the consumer and too many dealers are either ignorant or pretend to be ignorant, The question is how do you define what a reasonable person should consider fit for purpose.

Clearly a broken blind doesn't make it unfit for purpose but a major leak does. Where do you draw the line.

Another complication is that according to Which, SOGA does apply to items bought on HIre Purchase I assume because you are not the owner.

poolebob

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry:

If I had a caravan that was Solid design and it leaked I would seek legal action as the caravan has been sold with false advertising . The name Solid declares the caravan is dry.

StrOng, LIght, Dry = Solid. False advertising .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

If I had a caravan that was Solid design and it leaked I would seek legal action as the caravan has been sold with false advertising . The name Solid declares the caravan is dry.

StrOng, LIght, Dry = Solid. False advertising .

Dave

It would be better to use the SoGA where it would be not as described, not of durable quality and not fit for purpose.

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

As a consumer the SoGA route would be preferable.

One case of a leaking caravan would not constitute misleading advertising and misleading advertising sanctions would be of no benefit to an individual buyer of a leaky caravan.

It would be better to use the SoGA where it would be not as described, not of durable quality and not fit for purpose.

The real power is a combination of the two, using the CPRs.

Basically, if you were told something which led you to choose a particular product (such as a claim that it would remain dry), then the retailer has committed an offence if the claim turns out to be false. The test is whether a reasonable person would have relied on the claim.

This even applies to concealing information from someone (even if they don't ask). This law is what forced business car sellers to be open about whether a car was a previous write-off.

http://www. oft. gov. uk/business-advice/treating-customers-fairly/protection#.Uxcx7YUoN0E

I could be wrong on this one, but my understanding is that a dealer must be given 3 opportunities to rectify an issue before they are obliged to give a refund. ...

I see nothing in the act which says this. Arguably a customer puts themselves in a weaker position by accepting a repair.

Everything has to be in proportion of course. It would be unreasonable to reject a £15,000 caravan because of a minor issue. You might be able to if its damp though.

Finally, there is a new consumer rights bill working its way through parliament at the moment which will clarify things. A dealer might be able to subtract a little from the refund, for example, to cover the use you've had out of the caravan. Might be especially useful if you're rejecting after a year or two.

http://services. parliament. uk/bills/2013-14/consumerrights. html

Edited by A11

It is also part of the Logo .

Dave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Hi Dee Tee

I know that the dealer is right, my query with them is that we can now prove that the fault was there when we picked up the new van. I also have no problem returning the caravan to them, but I felt they were making it difficult by insisting that we go for their damp test when the caravan has been serviced by an approved engineer, and then stating that we would have to bring it back to have the work done.

With regards to the other faults, the dealer suggests that there are no issues with the heating system so in effect there is no fault that they have to fix. Yet, even just off this forum it is demonstrated that the heating system is just not up to the job (i have the Avante 540). The blind was reported, when it broke, that is how i know it wasn't covered by the warranty.

Denise

Denise

Dizzy71

Have you contacted whale they seem to be very good at sorting the heating out if what other posters are saying is true, have Elddis been to see you yet or did they not come on Friday.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,I have a solid avante 540,heating noisy,new heater fitted, and silencer in ducting"still noisy".rear panel badly split top and bottom corners,you can see outline of side panels pushing it from within,elddis have promised to sort rear panel,its that bad it makes the heating a minor problem,"FOR NOW" will post updates when and if it all goes well

Hi all, I worked as a service manager for VW for many years, and yes it's correct that the dealer is allowed 3 attempts at repair before there are grounds for refund/return.

We kept having to use that information when we had customers wanting to return cars because they rattled or squeaked. ....

That bloody earring advert caused murder. ....

I'M OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER. ...But I don't. ...😩😩😩

There is no 3 attempts in law, it is all judged by "reasonableness"