Stabilizer

georgeriley

50mm but they cover different weight (caravan weight) ranges

Top two are Al-Ko and Winterhoff.

(There are the much older 2" around so you may need to be more

specific))

Edited by gumdrop

Hi all this ay not matter if the answer to the next question is what i think it maybe. Do i need to have a stabilizer on when ever my car and van are on the road together?

The simple answer is no. However use of any stabiliser is always a good insurance.

Pete
Range Rover(s) towing Buccaneer Caravel

Do i need to have a stabilizer on when ever my car and van are on the road together?

Not a lot of point in having £300 plus worth of kit fitted and not using it. :rolleyes:

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Alko or Winterhoff, when you have encountered a large vehicle's

wake and the caravan gets skittish, then the same situation arises

and it is all damped out by the friction damper :)

just a quick one is the part of the stabilizer that fits in your tow bar on your car are they all a standard size ?

Daft question - what type of stabiliser are we talking about??

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

as yet dont have 1 just getting all the facts beforehand

It seems to me that in your original post you were talking about a blade type stabiliser. Some of the replies are referring to a hitch type stabiliser which is totally different. This may be confusing you.

Brian

The answers so far seem to assume that you are using an alko stabiliser built into the caravan hitch. If your caravan hitch does not have a stabiliser fitted then what type of stabiliser are you considering? An Alko hitch type or a blade type?

Edited by Easy T

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

With the blade type there are differing brackets for the car depending on which one you buy 2459_main.png

Most newer caravans come with hitch type stabilisers, the AlKo ones need at towball to match, either a AlKo towball or a swan neck type

2578_thumbnail.png2627_thumbnail.png

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)