Very Early Sprite

WispMan

This week I had the pleasure of visiting an old man whom is a retired charcoal burner. Below is one of his many caravans. It is an old Sprite but sooo short!

He lives in a old small static but sleeps in a gypsy van. Has other gypsy vans though is not or ever has been a gypsy. He used to regularly go up to Appleby Horse Fair in his horse drawn van. Hope to later take some photos of it.

The Sprite cost him £30 at a car boot and he uses it for storage along with many other caravans.

He has a large collection of ancient tools and a local group has a Lottery Grant to catalogue and preserve the tools.

But I just love all his old vans!

post-10299-0-40142800-1392570758_thumb.jpg

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

One of these was the first thing I ever towed!

A neighbour had one and my sister and her friend borrowed it and I dragged it to St Annes with my trusty 1. 8 Marina. Still got the photo!

Think it was 10 feet in length and weighed about as much as John Prescott.

Looks like a 67 model 400 . .. my parents had one when I was born in 1970, though soon changed to a 70 model. Both towed by a Morris 1000.

2018 Swift Elegance 580  towed by a 2018 Volvo XC60 D5 Power Pulse R Design

Yes looks like a 10ft Spite 400. I think it looks like a mid 70s van.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Sprite 400, my first caravan I bought cheap in 2003 when starting out! Loved it but when child number 3 was due it was just too small.

Compass Shadow 1988

I think it may be a Sprite Cadet. They were 10ft and the shape looks just right. I think the sprite 400 was the later model which preceded the Alpine. Maybe my memory is not so good.

Ern

I think it may be a Sprite Cadet. They were 10ft and the shape looks just right. I think the sprite 400 was the later model which preceded the Alpine. Maybe my memory is not so good.

Could be, I just had the 400 for a year and remember it being like a tiny bubble!

Compass Shadow 1988

The Sprite Cadet had the door in the rear panel. It was specifically designed so as to be tow-able by the BMC Mini it was the last of the line to be developed.

The Sprite line-up at the end of the 60's was (in ascending size) Cadet, 400, Alpine, Musketeer and Major.

Pete
Range Rover(s) towing Buccaneer Caravel

The Sprite Cadet had the door in the rear panel. It was specifically designed so as to be tow-able by the BMC Mini it was the last of the line to be developed.

The Sprite line-up at the end of the 60's was (in ascending size) Cadet, 400, Alpine, Musketeer and Major.

The late 1960's Cadet looked something like this. The centrally positioned rear door had to be kinked to follow the body profile, and as a result never did seal well at the bottom.

Sprite Cadet c1960.jpg

There was also a Cadet 10 and a Cadet 12 available in 1979. I know because we came very close to buying the 10' one at the Earls Court Show that year, to put behind our Renault 6TL.

Sprite Cadet 10.jpg Renault 6.gif

ABI also produced a very similar 10' model at the time called the Imp.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

That's definitely a Sprite 400. They were made for a much longer period of time than the Cadet, from before it appeared to after it was discontinued.

It's later than a 67, you can tell by the blank vent panel for the optional fridge.

I would put it at a 69, possibly an early 70 as the shape around the "waist" changed slightly with the 71 models (which were prone to leaks) and then again for 72/73 which had white strips around the middle ( 1 for the 72 and 2 narrower ones for the 73).

If we could see the original colour it used to be possible to get the year exactly as it changed slightly from year to year.

A 69 model would have been a darker shade of khaki/green than the preceding years.

Ssangyong Korando Sports SX / Adria Altea 472DS Eden

Ok. Sprite 400 it is. We used to belong to the Sprite club and attend regular rallies. Those old 'vans were lovely, and so were the other makes around at the time. Does anyone know if there is a vintage/veteran caravan club? I really love to see them. I've seen some beautifully restored ones.

Ern

Sprite 400, my first caravan I bought cheap in 2003 when starting out! Loved it but when child number 3 was due it was just too small.

We had one for our first caravan & loved it, loved the hand pump too :rolleyes:

We upgraded to a mustang pony with a foot pump :wub:

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

post-10299-0-44049600-1392670483_thumb.jpg

This is the one other photo I took - showing the hitch.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Does anyone know if there is a vintage/veteran caravan club?

Try the Historic Caravan Club.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

The Historic Caravan club attend many Steam fairs and Classic Car rallies. We see them at Malpas Steam rally where most of the units are towed by vehicles of the same era, and a lot of the owners dress in period clothes,

Volvo XC60 D5 AWD AUTO. Lunar Lexon 570

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

2 x darling grandaughters and her

We had one for our first caravan & loved it, loved the hand pump too :rolleyes:

We upgraded to a mustang pony with a foot pump :wub:

Same we upgraded to an Alpine, even had plastic windows AND a fridge and heater. Luxury! :lol:

Nah I loved both my Sprites, sometimes I wish I still has the alpine although my current caravan even though totally restored reminds me of my apline being around the same era, was the same colours until I changed them and similar layout. :wub:

That's definitely a Sprite 400. They were made for a much longer period of time than the Cadet, from before it appeared to after it was discontinued.

It's later than a 67, you can tell by the blank vent panel for the optional fridge.

I would put it at a 69, possibly an early 70 as the shape around the "waist" changed slightly with the 71 models (which were prone to leaks) and then again for 72/73 which had white strips around the middle ( 1 for the 72 and 2 narrower ones for the 73).

If we could see the original colour it used to be possible to get the year exactly as it changed slightly from year to year.

A 69 model would have been a darker shade of khaki/green than the preceding years.

My old Sprite 400 was all white and although the decals were a bit knackered the "400" on the side looked blue but not sure if it was just faded or what.

Compass Shadow 1988

Gordon. Thanks for the link to the Historic Caravan Club. Having browsed their web site I am delighted to see they have events in my locality, and we will be going along to have a look.

Ern

I really must stop using my Sprite Alpine as storage! :blush:

A tidy up and it could be back on the road in no time!

And it's nice & dry, as it hasn't been outside for at least 10 years.

SpriteAlpine_zpsa6c958b9.jpg

I used to tow it with a 1300 Marina, then a 1300 Maestro and finally with my Series III Landrover 88" County

Edited by Wunny

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

I really must stop using my Sprite Alpine as storage! :blush:

A tidy up and it could be back on the road in no time!

And it's nice & dry, as it hasn't been outside for at least 10 years.

I used to tow it with a 1300 Marina, then a 1300 Maestro and finally with my Series III Landrover 88" County

Is that the Alpine S with the bench seat with hammock bunk above opposite the door, and the wardrobe door that folds out and hooks onto the main door to make a toilet?

If so, and you restore it to use it, just remember to lock the outside door when using the loo, ah the shame, remember it well :blush:

Ssangyong Korando Sports SX / Adria Altea 472DS Eden

Is that the Alpine S with the bench seat with hammock bunk above opposite the door, and the wardrobe door that folds out and hooks onto the main door to make a toilet?

If so, and you restore it to use it, just remember to lock the outside door when using the loo, ah the shame, remember it well :blush:

Yes, that's the one. Been there with the loo door! :o

My son slept under the bunk and my youngest daughter slept up top. We were awoken on night to screams and gagging interspersed by "She's peeing on me!" We all had trouble getting back to sleep, due to laughing so much! :lol:

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

• 2 years later...

Can anyone tell me if you think this is a Sprite 10 Cadet? I've just bought it and going to do it up - the couple have had it for 40 years but dont know what it is.

Thanks for all your help.

post-80169-0-15508800-1462784108_thumb.png

Can anyone tell me if you think this is a Sprite 10 Cadet? I've just bought it and going to do it up - the couple have had it for 40 years but dont know what it is.

Thanks for all your help.

It certainly looks like a CI Cadet 10, but do check for an identity plate on the A-frame, as the ABI Imp would look very similar without any graphics. The CI had a horizontal ribbing pattern on the side bodywork while the ABI did not.

Gordon.

This week I had the pleasure of visiting an old man whom is a retired charcoal burner. Below is one of his many caravans. It is an old Sprite but sooo short!

He lives in a old small static but sleeps in a gypsy van. Has other gypsy vans though is not or ever has been a gypsy. He used to regularly go up to Appleby Horse Fair in his horse drawn van. Hope to later take some photos of it.

The Sprite cost him £30 at a car boot and he uses it for storage along with many other caravans.

He has a large collection of ancient tools and a local group has a Lottery Grant to catalogue and preserve the tools.

But I just love all his old vans!

attachicon.gifsprite. jpg

That looks like the first ever caravan I bought and towed. It was tiny but it was till a 4 birth. I found the front double to be really comfy even if the cushions appeared to be rather thin.

2015 Ford Kuga CDTI Titanium X, towing an Elddis EX2000 Hurricane.