Water In Caravan

Samjjohn

Please help. I have just purchased a 2005 swift utopia, put down a deposit in December with a very well know and reputable dealer.

Been to look over the van today prior to pick up and it seems one of the window seals has broke since December and water has got into the van causing mold and damp on the wall and behind the seats. We put the damp meter on and are getting readings of 40 plus.

They have been very understanding and have agreed to look at repairs. This is my first ever van and am worried what to do next and exactly what needs to be replaced to eradicate the problem.

They are wiling for me to pull out of the sale but we had a brilliant deal as we bought just before Christmas, but with this problem what would you advise.

Thanks in advance

When you say the dealer has agreed to look at repairs, do you mean that they will fund the repairs and your deal remains as is, no extra charges. As a reputable dealer,as you suggest, they will have known of this problem. Unless they repair at their cost with no added cost to you walk away. Damp /water ingress repairs ARE EXPENSIVE!!!!

There are 100's of vans lying in dealers yards with the same problem. equally there are lots of DRY vans at equally bargain prices if not yet available will be very shortly when the weather improves and the buyers market perks up.

Where are you located?

Edited by b4bill

Pull out of the sale. There are plenty of dry vans around.

Don't go for the repair

And

:welcome:

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

When you say the dealer has agreed to look at repairs, do you mean that they will fund the repairs and your deal remains as is, no extra charges. As a reputable dealer,as you suggest, they will have known of this problem. Unless they repair at their cost with no added cost to you walk away. Damp /water ingress repairs ARE EXPENSIVE!!!!There are 100's of vans lying in dealers yards with the same problem. equally there are lots of DRY vans at equally bargain prices if not yet available will be very shortly when the weather improves and the buyers market perks up. Where are you located?

As we have only paid a deposit they have to fund all the repairs and have said as much. There is no actual damp just a fault window lock which has allowed water into the van. It's caused mold and for some of the wood to start to rot. They've agreed to get it looked at but I'm concerned as its my first ever van and no telling what could happen long term underneath the surface so to speak.

It wasn't there when we paid the deposit it seems to have happened since December so they were as surprised as us with it when we pointed it out. I made sure when leaving today that I can have a refund if needed and they agreed.

I just wanted to get some expert advise before I decide. We spent months finding this one and the thought of starting again isn't the best especially as we have paid for a season pitch and were due to move on there in a few weeks.

You say it hasn't got damp. It has now. Personally I would walk away. Spend your money elsewhere. To dry the van out and get the work done properly could take a while anyway. So you have a season pitch available in a few weeks. Will a few weeks delay in getting a van matter?

This time of year there should be plenty of good deals to be had unless it was say a 6 berth or something unusual that you required.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Look at postings on this forum about damp. You cannot dry out the inside of a vans walls. It gets mouldy and the wood rots and its not an easy job to get it fixed.

Please take the advice of everyone so far - get your deposit back and run away. The dealer will do anything to get you to continue with the sale. Take the advice.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Look at postings on this forum about damp. You cannot dry out the inside of a vans walls. It gets mouldy and the wood rots and its not an easy job to get it fixed.

Please take the advice of everyone so far - get your deposit back and run away. The dealer will do anything to get you to continue with the sale. Take the advice.

The inside lining can be removed, any rotten timber replaced and the area dried out before replacing the interior wallboard. I would be concerned that your dealer will look at a cheaper solution. How old is the van and what is its value?

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Don`t even think about proceeding. Hopefully you will enjoy many years of caravanning. If you buy this van, you will be constantly looking over your shoulder, worrying if the damp has returned ie if its ever `cured` in the first place. Lots of good, dry vans out there. Just don't be rushed.

Take the advice, however good a deal you have got, and look for another one.

If it has mould and rotten wood, in these few weeks, then I would suspect it has been leaking for a while.

I agree don't touch it with a barge pole! As said above if being repaired it's going to have to be taken apart, dried, possibly repaired wood which will take a good while and your caravan probably won't be the only one they're working on so they won't be in a rush to fix it. It's not just a case of fixing where the water is coming in and leaving it to dry.

The fact that the dealer is willing to allow you to walk away from the sale so easy also makes me smell a huge rat and thinking that it's actually quite alot more damp than they're letting on and it's only the fact that you've spotted it that's making them think! Or is that just my suspicious mind?

There are really good buys out there so keep looking and don't rush into anything.

Compass Shadow 1988

Run dont walk. Find another. There is loads out there!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Samjjohn,

I wopuld pull out of the deal, especially as the dealer has offered you a way out. The reason; when you come to sell this van, if you do so privately my experence is one of the first questions the prospective buyer always asks is has it ever suffered from water ingress. If you are honest and say yes they just make an excuse and walk away.

Please help. I have just purchased a 2005 swift utopia, put down a deposit in December with a very well know and reputable dealer.

Been to look over the van today prior to pick up and it seems one of the window seals has broke since December and water has got into the van causing mold and damp on the wall and behind the seats. We put the damp meter on and are getting readings of 40 plus.

They have been very understanding and have agreed to look at repairs. This is my first ever van and am worried what to do next and exactly what needs to be replaced to eradicate the problem.

They are wiling for me to pull out of the sale but we had a brilliant deal as we bought just before Christmas, but with this problem what would you advise.

Thanks in advance

Reputable Dealer !!! I wonder. .. like everyone says get out quick and look for another van. Dealer might have made this van sound special when you viewed it but believe me there a hundreds of good vans out there, even if it means travelling a little more.

You have noticed some damp and rot, what concerns me is that it should rot in 8 weeks. .unlikely!

I agree - get deposit back and forget it - look for another :o

It's one thing to accept a repair on a caravan you have owned for years but not one leaking before you collect :unsure:

A Vanner without a van due to the demands of DIY and SWMBO - 40 years was a good run though :unsure:

Now a Motorhome Learner with a Fiat Toad :o

I agree, pull out of the deal, get your money back and have a fresh look without the presure of him holding your deposit.

you may even be in a position then to negotiate an even better deal.- but do it while you have ALL your money (the upper hand!)

If not you're free to search about for the rigt deal

Pete
Range Rover(s) towing Buccaneer Caravel