Towing Mirrors

scotsstag

I've just purchased my first pair of towing mirrors, got them of the internet for what I considered a great price.

My question is does everyone use extendable towing mirrors now that it is law or do some folk still not bother or still not deem them necessary ?

Defender 90  cruising along with a Coachman Laser 640/4.  :)

I've just purchased my first pair of towing mirrors, got them of the internet for what I considered a great price.

My question is does everyone use extendable towing mirrors now that it is law or do some folk still not bother or still not deem them necessary ?

If the caravan is wider than the car they are required. If you would like any info just search on here for towing mirrors and you will find pages and pages of pictures showing the area that you should be able to see behind and discussions, comments on the need or not for them here is one.

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/87467-towing-mirrors/?hl=mirrors

Edited by dave11a

Although people can see behind them without extension

mirrors they may not see as much as the law requires.

I use them because they help keep me safer than without!

and most of the outfits I see pulled in for weight checks etc.

don't appear to have them, coincidence? possibly, go back

to the previous reason they help keep me safe.

http://www. caravanwise. co. uk/caravan-tips/towing-mirrors. html

An interesting way to look at this. ...

Does everyone keep to the speed limits now that it is law or do some folk not bother ;)

There are some that do, some that don't, some that don't even know if they should or not, and there are even some that fit them and don't use them.

Nowt as funny as folk :D

H.

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink:

Interesting sign on the wall of the NCC stand at the caravan show at the NEC, £50 fine for each mirror you do not have, they are a legal requirement.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

I wonder if that sign was on a stand selling a well known brand of towing mirrors? I think the law says you must - "have mirrors that allow you to see clearly an area that is 4 metres wide from the side of your caravan at a distance 20 metres behind your vehicle" or something very close to that. There is no law that says you "must have an additional towing mirror attached to your tow vehcile when towing a trailer", and a caravan is just a trailer. Very few mirrors that come as standard on any vehicle including most SUV's and 4x4 allow you to comply with this requirment. So you need to attach either an extension arm to your mirrors allowing you to comply with the legal requirment and see behind. A extension is not possible on most cars so most use a "towing mirror". Mind you I would think about 25% of cars towing caravans that I see don't bother. Personally I have towing mirrors for one of my tow cars the other a Land Rover Defender I use a pair of Military Wolf extended arms, which allow me to see the legal distance and width behind.