Are Caravanners Now The Poor Relations?

ivan leslie

have been in Spain with our caravan for the past 4 months or so and have noticed, much more than previous years, the number of very large motorhomes and 5th wheelers about - mainly Brits but with some Germans owners. we have an awning but when put alongside extending side panels, kitchen tents, laundry tents, storerooms etc that come with these big units, we look somewhat impoverished. All to our own of course, but are the days of caravans ( and possibly small/medium sized motorhomes ) doomed ??

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

There will always be some who will go for the biggest money can buy and now there is more choice for them so you will see more. But for the majority of us they are completely out of reach and therefore, no, smaller units are not doomed.

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

It's the same on the inland waterways boating scene. Big boats built for the sea but never see the blue stuff and those designed for river use, some dating back to the 60's. Suffice to say that the ones that get the most use are the smaller ones for many reasons.

IMO, in the UK at least, large MH's/RV's need far more forward planning even when compared to the largest t/a caravan and 4x4.

2019 Adria Adora Thames

Impoverished ?? Nah !!! When you are spending the best part of 20 Big Ones plus for a half decent 4 Berth and not forgetting the cost of electronic toys you take with you then the Tug ? Nah. ...... I presently have my 4 Berth up for Sale and hopefully shall be replacing it with a very cheap 2 Berth just for me !! :) Big Massive Units for two don't impress me anymore even if I had big Bucks . .....

GAS . .... :angry:

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "

I don't consider myself a poor relation, spent a fortune on a new van and a nearly new tow car, mined you I am a lot poorer now.

Swift Fairway pulled by a Ford Mondeo 2. 0 Business Edition 5 door hatchback

Adventure before Dementia

I don't see that it matters. There are caravanners with 20, 30 or 40 yr old vans. As long as we all enjoy our hobby our own way, then it doesn't matter what you are towing or how much (or little) you paid.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Some people never quite understand the concept of "Less is More"

Freelander 2 and Bailey Unicorn Valencia (Classic Edition. ..)

Whether its tents caravan or motorhomes it's how much you enjoy them that matters :)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

On our tour this time we have been ferrying around motor homers who are only too pleased for transport to places they can not take there motorhomes including supermarkets etc, so they can look down there noses!

they may have fancy big rigs but this winter I have seen more Motorhomes turned away from sites because they are too BIG than ever before, most of the ones that were allowed on struggled to fit their monsters into the available space, three owners damaged their vehicles parking up on one site I was on. just how much space do you need in what is essentially your holiday home ?

You pays yer money etc but a bit more thought into the logistics would do no harm.

Coachman Amara 500/5 pulled by Rover75 Diesel Auto.

I stopped caring about what other people have years ago, in fact Im not sure I ever did really care. pup tent, small van, big van, 5th wheeler, coach sized RV. each to his own.

On our tour this time we have been ferrying around motor homers who are only too pleased for transport to places they can not take there motorhomes including supermarkets etc, so they can look down there noses!

We have been on rallies ( not CC) where the instructions were to assist the motor home owners to get to socials etc. .....ahhhhhhhh. We would if we saw someone who needed help but didn't like being told to. .....

In France a couple of years back after lots of rain ( again) we were on one site near Troyes where we had to pull on, or off, six of these large Units as they couldn't get a grip. ..all German or Dutch. ...but they did say thank you. ...

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

We spent just 2300 on a 1997 five birth elddis. ... so far so good although not been out properly with the kids yet. Before that we were campers and to be honest I can still see us using the tent still anyway.

there is something about having a more basic experience which appeals. We liked our van because it was a bit older and seemed ti have more character. I cant help but feel these large expensive setups loose some of the back to basic feel. Each to your own but I like getting away from modern things when we go away. ... otherwise if you want the mod cons a hotel is easier.

Stick to the romance and freedom of it I say. Cant wait to take the kids away at easter.

You van with what you are happiest with simply enjoy yourselves as we are all a long time dead and we all take sod all with us

Impoverished! i progressed from a 4 man tent, i now feel like royalty in my old Lunar!!! :D

Volvo XC90 D5 AWD, Lunar Ultima 615,Towing at 62%

You have a second chance at life it's called tomorrow!

It might be that a lot of the larger motorhomes, particularly the "coach looking types" are owned by fulltimers who live in their unit. I know loads that do, although a 50-50 mix of caravanners and motorhomers.

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

If someone sells up in UK the money pot would be big enough to go South in a large Motorhome.

We have just seen our neighbours off after they sold the house and went mobile. Good luck to them wherever they finish up.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

I don't see that it matters. There are caravanners with 20, 30 or 40 yr old vans. As long as we all enjoy our hobby our own way, then it doesn't matter what you are towing or how much (or little) you paid.

:goodpost:

Some folk think they have a God given right to say what others should spend their well earned money on and what they do when on site, (watching TV instead of joining in, for example) so long as every one is polite when they come into contact with each other, respect others privacy and keep their noise levels within reason, who cares what they sleep under the stars in.

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

:goodpost:

Some folk think they have a God given right to say what others should spend their well earned money on and what they do when on site, (watching TV instead of joining in, for example) so long as every one is polite when they come into contact with each other, respect others privacy and keep their noise levels within reason, who cares what they sleep under the stars in.

Think you have taken my OP a little too seriously - just a question as to whether caravans will be lost in the move to the larger units. We all have our choices. Nothing to do with " God given rights etc " , as you say, just be polite to everyone.

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

I have been a caravan owner continuously since 1974 and clearly remember in 1979 the first time I took time out to weigh up the why's and wherefore's of a motorhome against a caravan. For me the motorhome just did not stack up against a caravan at all and despite repeated reassessments over the years still does not do so today. Of course it all depends what your individual needs are and for some they are not the same as mine. I recently ordered a new caravan and once again analyzed my needs before signing on the dotted line, it is still a caravan for me. Furthermore I have never felt the need to tow with a 4 x 4 but for those that do it is their choice entirely.

Edited by anglebox

Lexus IS 220D SE towing Bailey Pageant Monarch Series 7

We have noticed an increasing number of very large motorhomes on touring sites in recent winters in Spain. I mean Concorde Liners and the like - 3 to 4 Metres tall and 9 M long. Often occupied by middle aged German couples with 2 aggressive dogs, car on a trailer, electric bikes etc. They are an absolute pain in the A. ....... Arrogant, noisy, usually untidy. Too much stuff to fit on the pitch so the rest gets left in the road. Some of these things cost well over a quarter of a million Quid! One parked next to us and we never saw the sun again. Their dogs pooped on our pitch and they drove into our car. Rubbish everywhere. So we put up a washing line 12 feet in the air right in front of their lounge window, and they moved a day later. However, most ordinary motor caravanners are just doing the same as the rest of us and we see no difference between us. We use a caravan for winter, but have a motor caravan at home too. "Horses for courses" I say.

Edited by Ian Hastings

Ern

Subtly put, Honk!

If people want stonking great tanks with fuel consumption to match one wonders where they keep them when not in use. I doubt the more compact amongst us are losing out with the more practical choice we have made.

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see (GK Chesterton)

There's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong equipment (Alfred Wainwright)

Well I for one would love a large motorhome. However to get the same space as I have in my present caravan it would be too large to store at home due to access from our road and I would prefer to have my holiday home to hand.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

They are over 3. 5 tonnes, so end of story!