Installing Led Lights

Honk

So I was a little bored and thought I would swap some lights round.

I got some led lights from ebay and set about putting them in. Here is the original

post-60969-0-46569100-1392555637_thumb.jpg

And I kept it in place and just used its power and switch. I placed the new lamp next to it.

post-60969-0-59323500-1392555771_thumb.jpg

Here is the difference from both sides

post-60969-0-03354400-1392555927_thumb.jpg

So I carried on and swapped the main overhead lamps too

post-60969-0-47085100-1392556117_thumb.jpg

It's cleaner and brighter. Not using as much power and a pack of 10 for less than £20.

H.

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink:

Wow! seems to have turned your electricity consumption on it's head

Well it has been windy :)

Good job Honk, I've been finishing putting the polycarbonate sheets back on my greenhouse :(

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Got an Ebay link to the new lights Honk?

Hi Pebble

Item number is 161106655553 and they come in a pack of ten.

Im on my tablet so can't copy the page link.

H.

edit - here is the direct link

LED Lights

Edited by Honk

Just checking . . which side is which?

Here is the difference from both sides
attachicon.gif20140215_123118. jpg

H.

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

Led on left

H

Led on left

H

Thanks . . Very cold, unwelcoming . . Think I look for warm white.

Neat job but as mentioned a bit too "blue" for me personally . Prefer the natural or warm white apart from kitchen area. (certainly under 3000k on scale)

Going to have a go at some LED light tape this year right round the line of lockers, which should give a suitably low powered hidden light effect.

Ebay is great for this sort of thing!

Glad you are happy with your project

EDIT - just seen they are external marker lights - great idea and good value!

Edited by sunshinetours

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

They are a lot brighter, and they do have a cool/cold feel about them, but they make an enormous difference in the quality of light in the van.

I also replaced the single lamp above the sink / cooker with two lamps and it will make it better for the wife to see what she is burning ;)

I kept the front roof light as standard which does give a warmer feel - see below for the two different options. These were taken at night so there is no spill from behind the blinds like the ones above.

Single standard roof light

post-60969-0-01304200-1392662709_thumb.jpg

Led side lamps x 4 and rear roof light converted with two led's

post-60969-0-51605800-1392662802_thumb.jpg

Not to everyone's taste, and I might even put a change over switch in as the original lights are still in situ.

H.

Decision made .

I bought a 5m spool of self adhesive 5050 SMD leds .

In one ceiling light, took out the fluorescent bits and set it up as below . . gives a far better and warmer light than the fluo . Now got to do the others . . going to put 5 strips in the next to see if light is even better, though think it may not be noticeable.

24 5050s is about 4. 5 Watt

led%20light.jpg

Edited by old hand

Decision made .

I bought a 5m spool of self adhesive 5050 SMD leds .

In one ceiling light, took out the fluorescent bits and set it up as below . . gives a far better and warmer light than the fluo . Now got to do the others . . going to put 5 strips in the next to see if light is even better, though think it may not be noticeable.

24 5050s is about 4. 5 Watt

led%20light.jpg

Looks identical to mine,

I done this back last November and have been using the lights fairly frequently,, some people will say that they are not suitable as the vans voltage can vary up to about 13. 8volts, however I can say that mine have been running strong since installation.

All of my vans lights are like this and some much longer strips as well, they seem fine up to about 15v but then they do start to get a bit on the hot side :D

I did however go for the Warm white which has a much nicer appearance than Bright white.

It may be worth supplementing the adhesive backing with a little superglue, as if yours are the same as mine then when they get warm the adhesive has a habit of letting go, requiring it to be pushed back into place, bit of superglue stops that

Edited by Mike&deb

I too bought a strip of white LED about 680mm long. In the washroom, one of the spotlights was in the shower unit that I have removed to fit a bathtub and I wanted something to replace it. Having relined the area around the bath and on the roof with new white plastic lining, didn't want anything to spoil the lines. My wife saw these on ebay and it is just the right length. I have run the wires into the back of the locker above the bed into the same circuit as the rest of the washroom. Gives a great light and you can now see what you are doing ! I am trying to find a matching switch so that they can be turned on and off independently if required. Reflects really well off the wall lining. Will try and get some photos uploaded.

Job done . .

Was wrong about wattage, earlier . . an SMD 5050 uses about . 25 watt . . so my earlier post should say 6 watts.

I did the loo ceiling light light with 3 strips (18 LEDs . . 4. 5 watt)

The centre ceiling light has the 4 strips (24 LEDS . . 6 watt.)

the front ceiling light has 5 strips (30 LEDs . . 7. 5 watt)

I have replaced the 4 spots with MR11 12 5050 warm white LEDs (3 watt each)

Pictures below

loo.jpgspots.jpg

LED Spots

front%20light.jpgceiling%20lights.jpg

Front ceiling . . LEDs both ceiling . . LEDs

front%20fluorescent.jpg

Original front fluorescent

Very pleased with the result . . van feels much warmer

Thanks, tt.

Actually, the photos don't do the lights justice . . the change in the feel of the 'van is wonderful.

Looks great, as you say the pics don't really express the quality of the light difference.

The spread of light is better and cleaner.

Who else is up for the "LED Light Change Challenge" :D

H.

Who else is up for the "LED Light Change Challenge" :D

My turn :)

As doing this was new to me i first tried on something non-van related, just to cut my teeth.

For Christmas my wife was given a No7 illuminated mirror. It was for our bathroom but was mains powered so not ideal.

I took to converting it to led. As it was a test piece i built it using just what i had lying around.

DSC 0069

As original with filament lamp.

DSC 0079

With led conversion, same on both sides.
Ran from a 9v battery in the base. Works great, actually a much cleaner brighter light.
This gave me the confidence to tackle a couple on the 'van.

DSC 0147

DSC 0154

Awning light before and after. Not yet tried this in the dark but it should be better.

DSC 0117

Bathroom light light before (lower strip) and the part made base for the replacement light (upper). Forgot to take one before i took original light out.

DSC 0135

New light fitted. I was having fun with this so went overkill on the led. Probably draws nearly as much power, but so much brighter and whiter which works well in the bathroom.
I have more pics of these which will be going into a blog at some point and more led projects are on the cards as and when I have time.

Edited by MonkeyMark

Just beginning our adventure. 95% of my time on CT I use my phone. As a result correct spelling and grammer will be used sparingly. This is due to fat fingers. Please don't let it bother you.

Ive changed out all my lights and I used the small tail light bulbs which give off a very nice white light. I tried to copy the link into here but it didn't work. If you copy and paste this item number into the e bay search bar, these bulbs come up. 360863725930.

Once there, check out the shop on this web site and they do all the replacements for the likes of the roof lights. These little bulbs are easy to install, they simply push into the small holes which the old 20w lights came out of and are a lovely warm and bright light 360844499102

I have even installed a changing light coloured strip under my pelmet and it has a remote which allows you to chose the colour, fade, flash, transpose or strength you need for varying moods. Its brill. The item number for that strip is 360823784886

You will notice the whole lot to completely change all the lights in the van plus the strip costs less than £22. A well worth while investment. I am now waiting for my exterior led strip that gets installed under the awning rail and fed from the porch light with its own remote and these strips are fully water proof with self adhesive backs for easy installation.

Im back to motorhoming with a scooter on the back again.