Anyone Go Somewhere Warm For The Winter?

Surefire

My plan in a few years time, when I've retired is to spend the worst of the winter months somewhere warm and tow the van to Spain for example. Does anyone here do this. What are the pro's and con's. House back home left empty for the duration, cost of getting there and cost of pitch for two or three months. Would love to hear your experiences.

2007 Elddis Crusader Super Siroco. 2005 Kia Sorento XSE manual.

Great idea but life can get in the way. We retired a couple of years ago and now have 2 grandchildren a mile away and 2 more in S. Spain. So our time is spent with them as locally we have 2 of them for a day a week. Maybe more rewarding than travelling in Europe.

So we ensure we do get away within the UK with the van, and look forward to when the grandchildren come with us caravanning.

So touring Europe with the van OR enjoying grandchildren? There's only one choice!

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Loads of Brits, Germans, Dutch, Danish, Norwegian etc do it. Many have motor caravans many have caravans. Some do it on the cheap and some do it by booking through the clubs. We've done it for the past 10 years. There is an easy way to start and that is to get the CC and C&CC winter sun catalogues and read them. Although many people don't use the club's services but prefer to travel independently. We like plenty of variety in what we do. Spain and Portugal are the main place as the winter climate elsewhere is not so warm. Quite a few Brits plus many French and Germans are now wintering in Morocco too.

Ern

If you have never done it then I cannot see how you can pre book anything without knowing the area, until you come and have a look, what might suit you might not suit others.

Driving about my home town here in Spain and surrounding areas, the camp sites are mainly full to overflowing and the streets and waste ground are full of parked campers. You just cannot come to any harm, if you have a breakdown or a problem then they will come by the dozen to help you.

I would come just before Christmas to get the best places and to look about, Jan and feb gets a bit full, I came in the eighties before I bought a house here and it is no different today. Absolutely nothing to worry about.

I would say just get in the car hook up and go, they do have shops here and garages and most speak english, pull up at a site and go and explore if you do not like it move on, simple as that. If you get sick take your EHIC card to the nearest hospital as I have done many times.

The sun is shining and it is dry what else can I say.

Do it and you won't regret it, were on our 5th Winter in Spain and the weather today is wonderfully warm at a pleasant 22c here in

La Manga .

The cost of your average food shop for the week is considerably cheaper than UK prices and if you spend wisely it doesn't cost an arm and leg to overwinter in Spain

T

2022 Pilote P696GJ for European touring-  2022 Coachman VIP 565 for touring the UK towed by a 2022 Skoda kodiaq Sportline 4x4 dsg 200PS

Make sure your house insurance covers for time away and if going after Christmas head for the Benidorm area or further south and even Portugal/Morocco . The C&CC has about half a dozen winter sun extended rallies both before after, and even through Christmas and new year. I started with rally at La Manga which runs for 6 months and found rallies are a good way of meeting Brits who will give you all the advice etc you will need to spread your wings further. We have traveled over there by driving through France as well as taking the ferry from Portsmouth but wouldn't do the French route in mid winter again as it can get bad and sites are often shut, much prefer the Bilbao ferry. Go for it, you won't regret it.

CARPE DIEM

While we're talking, envious time is fleeing: pluck the day, put no trust in the future.

tow the van to Spain Does anyone here do this.

I'm doing it right now. It's 6o'clock in the evening and I'm sitting in the awning in shirt sleeves typing this. The sun is still shining and it's been cloudless for the past few days. Of course we've had some days when it's rained, and here on the Costa del Sol, when it does decide to rain, it hammers down. Contrary to what others have said, I never book anything in advance because I've never had difficulty in finding a pitch. Where I am at the moment, the site is probably less than half full.

Even after retirement, not everyone is able to travel abroad for long periods of time, but if you are able to, it's well worth doing. This year is my 20th winter in Spain or Portugal. I decided to write a blog this time which you can find here:

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/blog/53-jaydugs-blog/

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Just come back from Puerto de Mazerrone in Mercia after a 4 month stay at 10 euros a night inc of elec, water and good facilities, plus IVA at 5% less 5% discount for single occupancy, the weather was wonderful and if not for a legal problem at home would still be there .

Edited by Petercheason
Coachman Amara 500/5 pulled by Rover75 Diesel Auto.

As you will have seen already there are plenty who do it year after year. I too can recommend it and I wish or circumstances would allow us to do it more often! Basically I would say you have two choices, based on what you want to do and what you like to do.

Choice one. You want to spend winter in the sun: Pick a site with all the facilities you want, book it and stay there. As said before the caravan club winter sun brochure will give you plenty of ideas. If you turn up before Christmas there might not be a need to book. Remember looking at prices there is nearly always a discount for longer stays. If you want to get there quick look at the long ferry crossings to Santander/Bilbao. With the price of fuel and tolls there is very little difference in cost these days.

Choice two: You like to see the sites, explore and make full use of your caravan: Get an ACSI card (see the thread Discounted Low Season Camping above) and wander as you please. That is what we do. We have never booked a site in the winter, but there again we do not head for the large all singing all dancing sites. If we like a site we might stay a while and switch to the long stay discount. If we don't, then we move on. Peter above has just had 4 months at Puerto de Mazzaron. We turned up at Los Madriles there on spec in February 2012 for a few days and stayed three weeks. In 2008/9 we worked our way right round the peninsular, Spain and Portugal, with incursions inland on a regular basis.

Two things to remember: You need to get south of Valencia to have reasonable warmth and central Spain, e. g. Madrid, can get very very cold.

Hyundai Santa Fe CRD auto + Burstner Belcanto 525 TL

http://www. oldagetraveller. net/

Just come back from Puerto de Mazerrone in Mercia after a 4 month stay at 10 euros a night inc of elec, water and good facilities, plus IVA at 5% less 5% discount for single occupancy, the weather was wonderful and if not for a legal problem at home would still be there .

Hi petercheason,

Which site was that and would you reccomend ?

malc

Hi petercheason,

Which site was that and would you reccomend ?

malc

Camping Las Torres, Puerto de Mazerrone Murcia info@campinglastorres. com

web address as per the mail address apart from info @ obviously

heated indoor pool in the winter, outdoor pool in the summer,.good facilities showers and toilet blocks kept clean and tidy, there is bar on site and it has some beautiful views over the mountains and the sea and is about a 40 minute walk into the port /town centre many supermarkets and shops, restaurants and bars, some British owned. If you want a larger City Cartegna is about a 30 minute drive The price I quoted was the winter off season rate for 90 days plus. There are another 2 or 3 sites in the Area. If you want any further info just pm me. regards Peter

Coachman Amara 500/5 pulled by Rover75 Diesel Auto.