Gas Bottle Confusion.

MonkeyMark

Seen someone selling a gas bottle. Photo shows small bp gaslight. When enquired says it's 3. 7kg or 12. 5 litres.

That doesn't seem right, or am I missing something?

Edited by MonkeyMark

Just beginning our adventure. 95% of my time on CT I use my phone. As a result correct spelling and grammer will be used sparingly. This is due to fat fingers. Please don't let it bother you.

That is wrong in so many ways - Avoid!

First, if it is a rented gas bottle it should not be offered for sale. Second, gas is often supplied as 3. 9kgs or 4. 5kgs quantities, not 3. 7kgs.

12. 5 litres would equate approximately to 6kgs or 7kgs (depending on whether propane or butane).

I can't explain the image of the BP lamp.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

the empty 5kg weighs 3. 7kg. so full could be around 12,5l of gas.

A seemingly problem free 2010 model Adria Altea 542dk that has more than its fair share of use.

I wondered if they were reading empty weight.

Just beginning our adventure. 95% of my time on CT I use my phone. As a result correct spelling and grammer will be used sparingly. This is due to fat fingers. Please don't let it bother you.

its on gaslights website Mark, empty weights for both the 5 & 10 kg bottles. it is unethical to sell cylinders as someone paid for a contract in the first place. the thing being if you do not have the contract copy you cannot get a "partial" refund of that initial outlay. hence why some people may sell them on. i haven't got a contract for any of our bottles as they were my dads or left in our first van.

maybe worth lokking into how much a refill is, and initial purchase. the bottle may not be the bargain it seems if its empty. (i have no idea how much a bp contract or refill is)

A seemingly problem free 2010 model Adria Altea 542dk that has more than its fair share of use.

Sounds like a 5 kg. Big problem with that is, according to my local Homebase, you can't exchange it for a 10 kg. I bought one empty 10 kg cylinder from the local classifieds, £22. The other I had to fork out the deposit at Homebase, I think that was £32. It's not a rental, it's a deposit, don't know how much you get back if you return it. It may be against Mac Gas rules but it is not dishonest and it is not illegal. The gas supplier will continue to get sales from me rather than the original purchaser. Mac Gas has suffered no loss, indeed they will benefit from having an active customer who uses plenty of their gas.

Now I need a 15% off weekend please Mr Homebase.

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

I already have a 10kg.

this is a 5kg half full for £10 plus about a Tenner in diesel to collect.

P. s. 15% off this weekend.

I agree Henry, you do only get a percentage of the initial cost back, so i guess you could say they will loose out slightly, but i would guess the reduced admin would about equal it out.

I agree Henry, you do only get a percentage of the initial cost back, so i guess you could say they will loose out slightly, but i would guess the reduced admin would about equal it out.

It used to be a refund of 70% within 1 year, on a sliding scale down to 25% at 7 years, staying at 25% from 8-50 years then reducing to zero.

FWIW Campingaz bottles are purchased and have no contract.

I already have a 10kg.

this is a 5kg half full for £10 plus about a Tenner in diesel to collect.

P. s. 15% off this weekend.

Aaagh scream, I missed that, and I need a new refill. Shucks! Thanks anyway.

A tenner is cheap even with no gas as long as you're happy with a 5.

Don't see many up north so I'd take either but a 5 is ideal for the cadac we plan to buy.

Don't see many up north so I'd take either but a 5 is ideal for the cadac we plan to buy.

No idea what happened there.

Sounds like a 5 kg. Big problem with that is, according to my local Homebase, you can't exchange it for a 10 kg.

Hi Henry, unless things have changed very recently, the rental cost is the same for a 5 or a 10kg BP Light, you just pay for the extra gas, so I think your local Homebase may be wrong.

You can swap between the 2 sizes as I did when we changed caravans, again just paying for the extra gas on swapping up, and when I acquired a Calorlite, I swapped back for a 5Kg to run the BBQ.

Oh well too slow. Bottle has gone. Back to looking for another.

Hi Henry, unless things have changed very recently, the rental cost is the same for a 5 or a 10kg BP Light, you just pay for the extra gas, so I think your local Homebase may be wrong.

You can swap between the 2 sizes as I did when we changed caravans, again just paying for the extra gas on swapping up, and when I acquired a Calorlite, I swapped back for a 5Kg to run the BBQ.

Homebase said I could swap between sizes if I had the receipt for the deposit but not if I didn't. I think she was making it up as she went along. I think I might go back to Calor, not enough outlets for the Gaslite. Their depot is right next to my storage yard but they won't do retail. Best of all I'd do refillable but Alde says it's a no no.

Calor are only supposed to swap between size groups.

our local dealer changed 7kg butane to 6kg propane, then swapped for lites. but they will not swap for any other sizes.