Another One Gone Over On The M6 Lancashire

Honk

A Land Rover pulling a twin axle ended up on its side today on the M6 Lancaster.

Both occupants were able to get out OK.

Story here

H.

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink:

Another 4x4 and caravan accident. glad all 3 got out ok, cannot be a nice experience at all.

A seemingly problem free 2010 model Adria Altea 542dk that has more than its fair share of use.

I hope it is calmer tomorrow as we are picking our new 'van up. We don't have far to go but would still appreciate a calm day for my first caravan tow other than the Caravan Club handling course I did a few months ago.

we drove past it on the other carriageway; it looked quite grim. The Landrover was completely on it's side with smashed windscreen and bizarrely the caravan was further up the road. Emergency Services were en route. It wasn't particularly windy at the time and the motorway at that point isn't exposed. It is slightly downhill.

There was a remarkable number of outfits on the M6 today.

Chris308,

The weather is supposed to calm down through this week. Why not leave it until next weekend to pick up the new 'van?

Edited by Highlandman

We fight not for glory, nor for wealth nor honours . ..

but only and alone we fight for freedom,

which no good man surrenders but with his life.

Standby for the usual numpties banging on about the instability of 4x4s, especially Land Rovers, when towing.

Land Rover is now back towing.

Standby for the usual numpties banging on about the instability of 4x4s, especially Land Rovers, when towing.

Yep and Blaming them big daft tyres

Ste

. ....One life, Don't waste it fixing LandRovers .

Ford F350 SUPERDUTY Towing 640 Hobby @ 1%

I'm off out on Sunday in my big daft 4x4 on grippy tyres etc blah blah. It's the most stable outfit I have towed with.

Have used LR defender, rock solid

Vectra V6 cdti, ok coz of the power

VW passat, estate. Again ok but only if NO wind at all !

Current unit spot on.

Also glad the weather is calmer regardless of tug. There are many who need a break

Power unit at front all the time, Van behind (hopefully) some of the time unless I'm reversing then it's all the other way round . .... Or is it?

Hi,

Think the clue is in post 4( bobgeist ) - The motorway is slightly down hill

david

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

Of the 6 caravan accidents i have seen 5 were large 4x4's. there is a reason for that surely?

A seemingly problem free 2010 model Adria Altea 542dk that has more than its fair share of use.

Chris308,

The weather is supposed to calm down through this week. Why not leave it until next weekend to pick up the new 'van?

I will leaving without it if I don't feel comfortable with the weather. As you say, calmer for cast for tomorrow so fingers crossed.

Can not be much wrong with the stability judging by the way they pass us at 60 plus !

david

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

They are invulnerable - blatting through floods, snow, mud you name it

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Of the 6 caravan accidents i have seen 5 were large 4x4's. there is a reason for that surely?

Probably due to over confidence - only seen one van and 4x4 over turned and that was a shogun

2015 Ford Kuga CDTI Titanium X, towing an Elddis EX2000 Hurricane.

Presumably Same reason as there are more Ford cars involved in accidents-----High %age on the roads!!

They are invulnerable - blatting through floods, snow, mud you name it

They're also invaluable in extreme weathers, ask the district nurses, meals on wheels and other great organisations they help when required.

(p. s Usually for free, not even fuel)

Defender 90  cruising along with a Coachman Laser 640/4.  :)

I am more than happy with the way my Discovery 4 tows, I very rarely go much above 55mph on the motorways, and I can remember in the 70's when the maximum towing speed was 50mph. In 2012 we returned to caravaning and our second outing, to Elgin, Scotland, we were shocked at some of the speeds people were travelling whilst towing - . why is everyone in such a hurry to-day endangering other folks lives?

Well I use to live in Lancaster and it was a nutorious spot for vans being flipped between 35-34 southbound, slight downhill and then over the river, which use to catch loads of people out. My dad was in the ambulance service and said he often gets called out to the vans round there.

Glad everyone is ok and hope that insurance will cover everything. Whenever I come down there i'm normally down to 40ish, as i'm aware of what it's like but have been passed by vans doing probably 70ish and when they hit the bridge, you can see them swerve, as they get into the open, worst swerve I saw was from lane 1 to lane 3, god knows how he didn't hit anyone or flip it, he soon slowed down though.

What we would all like to know, rather than speculate, is the actual reason for the accident, so we can be aware and try to avoid that type of situation.

I am 1/2 hr away so am unlikely to hear if there is some conclusion to any investigation.

If anyone nearer finds out later, then do post it on the forum.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

What we would all like to know, rather than speculate, is the actual reason for the accident, so we can be aware and try to avoid that type of situation.

I am 1/2 hr away so am unlikely to hear if there is some conclusion to any investigation.

If anyone nearer finds out later, then do post it on the forum.

I agree Wispman, maybe it was wrong of me to speculate what had actually happened, I am pleased all the occupants got out safely, and no one else was hurt. Looking forward to hear your response on what actually went wrong.

The problem is that we all speculate (I'm no different) on things we read. My first thought was that its a good towcar so maybe down to inexperience? But then, I think there but for the grace of god, go I.

So I would love to see someone doing research on caravan incidents with the results on the causes. Nevr going to happen, but would love to see it as we all would.

It'll of course never happen to me. ................................I think. ..............I hope. ..............

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

If it overturned then it definitely became unstable. ...for whatever reason. .................... ;)

IF, as reported, there was no other vehicle involved then, surely, mechanical fault or driver error are the only other causes?

I am more than happy with the way my Discovery 4 tows, I very rarely go much above 55mph on the motorways, and I can remember in the 70's when the maximum towing speed was 50mph. In 2012 we returned to caravaning and our second outing, to Elgin, Scotland, we were shocked at some of the speeds people were travelling whilst towing - . why is everyone in such a hurry to-day endangering other folks lives?

Where did you go in Elgin ? Riverside ?

I don't know the cause but I have seen at least 5 Range Rover with caravan on there side 3 on the M62, 1 on the A34 after Oxford and 1 on the M4. however what I noticed all of them was going downhill.

Edited by Guest

down to complacency and lack of concentration probably - but pure speculation.

its easy to cruise at 70mph+. if you are not concentrating, you don't even feel like you are towing anything. that's makes it dangerous if you loose concentration and blip the throttle abit - the extra speed coupled with a swerve or a good strong gust of wind can easily cause an accident, especially if you are relaxed with only one hand on the wheel!

glad they are all ok though