First Time Away In The Caravan.

Phillippa42

We've made it, the wind died down so went for it. Was fine towing here. Managed to back into the space ok.

Only problem is that the heater just seems to blow cold air. We're on ehu and I haven't lit the gas part of the heater. Do I need to do that?

But apart from that its great and I worked everything else out!

Depends on the heater. Most have the option of gas or elec (240 V mains).

On elec, you may have the option of blown air (fan assisted) or just convection of 500, 1000 or 2000 mW. We find blown air is cold air, partly cos some pipes are routed outside under the floor. So we use the convector.

But, I believe, the most heat is got from gas and, yes, you need to ignite the gas to make it work. So gas is v good if no EHU.

You may need to tell us the year and type of van and finally

:welcome: as I thought you'd just joined - doh!

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I've just dragged a passing man into my caravan and he's fixed my heater. I hadn't flicked the switch in the electric box which said fan heater. Oh dear. . So fingers crossed it will warm up now. :)

Phillippa - none of us have ever done anything as simple as that! :)

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I've just dragged a passing man into my caravan

Never happens to me lol :lol:

Volvo XC90 D5 AWD, Lunar Ultima 615,Towing at 62%

You have a second chance at life it's called tomorrow!

Bit like Hogworts 'help will always be given to those who need it' :)

Hope you're snuggled down nicely now.

Hi There Phillipa42

I found that my heating on my Elddis ex2000 was a bit cold when I first took delivery of it. After fathoming out the switches on the switch pannel I finally got some heat from the blown electric side I find it best to warm up the van using gas then switch over to the electric side after everything is warm. They are a good caravan When I got mine I was after a much newer caravan but once I saw the ex2000 I just had to have it there were 2 at the dealers mine has the fibreglass bach the other was an ally back so far no problems with the van at all

Happy caravaning

Peter

Yes, lovely and warm now. Feels very cosy and snug with the wind and rain outside! Love it.

Peter, I'm glad you like your ex2000. No idea if mine has a fibreglass or alu back. How do you tell and which is better?

Hi Phillipa, huge tip I discovered from someone cleverer than me,

I had similar prob blown air was cold on hook up. Leave the fan switched off until loads of heat coming out the front of heater, a good 20 min, then switch the fan on, seems silly but it works much better.

Thanks, I'll remember that tip and also the one about using the gas for a bit first. See which works best for us.

Had a good nights sleep. Sun is shining now so off to walk the dog.

Edited by Phillippa42

Old post from matelodave but it explains the heating set up very well.

Posted 07 March 2010 - 09:19 PM

The blown air unit control has three positions. Centre off, auto and manual. When set to manual, the fan runs at the speed set by the variable control. When set to the A position the fan speed is dependant on the temperature of the convector heating unit (it doen't matter whether it's on gas or electric), so the fan will speed up when the heater gets hotter. The speed control sets the maximum speed that the fan can blow.

The heating unit will cool down when the fan is running as air is being drawn through the unit, heated and then blown out through the ducting. It's a good idea the warm the main unit up a bit and set the fan speed to 1 or 2 on auto. If the fan runs at full speed then the air doesn't seem to get warmed up before it gets blown out of the ducts, so try it on a slow speed first and then speed it up until it's comfortable. We've got a Pageant and find that setting the electric heater on 2kw and the control at about 7 and the fan at about 2 keeps both the van and the bathroom quite comfy even when its freezing outside. During the night we turn the fan right down but leave it on Auto and switch the heating down to 1kw when it's freezing or 500w when it's a bit warmer and it keeps the van at about 16degrees which we find ideal for sleeping.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.