Alarm Internal Battery

I have a Keen Electronics Protector alarm fitted to my 2011 Lunar Clubman, it is fitted with an internal pp9 battery in the control box. I have studied the instructions on Keen's website but cannot find instructions for changing this battery. I have been having problems with my 12v battery for a while and am concerned that the pp9 will be kaput as my 12v battery has not been holding a charge and has spent more time out of the van than in recently. I don't seem to have any paperwork for this alarm so does anybody have a copy that could be scanned and emailed or just detailed instructions for changing this pp9 battery.

2011 Lunar Clubman ES & 2007 Hyundai Tucson Ltd

I'm not sure what battery is actually fitted to mine and the instructions don't mention it. It definitely has one because it operates without the leisure battery fitted. I could open it up if you need to know.

I don't have a proper scanner so took some photos of my instruction manual. Find these images attached.

post-63455-0-19773200-1392466247_thumb.jpg

post-63455-0-74228000-1392466248_thumb.jpg

post-63455-0-23504600-1392466250_thumb.jpg

post-63455-0-50670600-1392466251_thumb.jpg

Edited by tictag

Thanks for that but there is no need for you to remove yours, I'll remove mine. I've just been out looking for a rechargeable pp9 without any luck, can't even find a suitable charger. Someone else may have more info, it's early days yet. I may not be able to get to the van 'til next Friday.

Sorry it is a pp3 battery, don't know where the 9 came from, probably the voltage. I knew what it it was even if nobody else did

Edited by john47

I've just been out looking for a rechargeable pp9 without any luck

I'm sure ASDA sell them (along with others).

Maplin for the charger http://www. maplin. co. uk/p/maplin-nicd-nimh-and-hybrid-pp3-compact-battery-charger-l37ak others also out there.

Lot's of choice for rechargeable PP3 here: http://www. battery-force. co. uk/type-PP3NIMH. html

Personally, I like Energiser but the Ansmann are almost twice the capacity.

Energiser do a PP3 battery charger for £22 here: http://www. battery-force. co. uk/detail_ENCHRG001D-Energizer-Universal-Charger. html. The Ansmann is waaaay too expensive.

I think I'll try the charger first as I don't want to waste my new battery trying to charge what might be a duff pp3. By the look of things I may not have had a properly functioning alarm for some time so a few more days won't make much difference.

Just had a thought. ..are you sure that the alarm itself doesn't charge it? I'm thinking maybe you don't need a charger. ..

It probably does but after the last two weeks trying to sort put my leisure battery fault I'm becoming paranoid that the pp3 will drain the new leisure battery. I haven't the faintest how much the pp3 will draw to charge up.

Well, if you consider that the high capacity Ansmann linked earlier is 300mAH, a full charge would be 0. 3AH and your leisure battery likely has 110AH, that's 366 times more energy. I would not consider the Alarm (maybe 50mA) or charging the PP3 as a big drain. For perspective, your water pump would be about 4A.

You're probably right, I will be keeping a VERY close eye on the new battery so I may give it a few days then see if the pp3 is charged. I've emailed the alarm maker to see if they can give me some instructions as to replacing the battery so if they do then presumably this will also allow me to get at it and put a multi meter across it.

As a recently retired electronics eng I would suggest people that the likely purpose of the battery is to support the memory so that the alarm does not loose its configuration when the external supply (be that battery or PSU) is not available. It is unlikely that it keeps the alarm working.

If that is the case then you need a battery that can provide only microamps orfcurrent but potentially with a very long shelf life. In which case get a Lithium PP3 - Maplin sell them as smoke alarm batteries. They cost getting on for a tenner but have a shelf life of approaching ten years against maybe two years on an alkaline equivalent.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

When the alarm is ON any one of the following actions should trigger the alarm sounding the siren instantly:-

Entering the caravan

Winding the "alarmed" rear steady

Hitching up and inserting the 13 pin (or 12N black road lighting) plug

When hitched up removing the 13 pin (or 12N) plug

When hitched up with the 13 pin (or 12N) plug inserted, using the footbrake in the tow vehicle (ignition may need to be turned on)

Once the internal re-chargeable battery has been charged (by the leisure battery), disconnecting the leisure battery.

This is copied from Keen Electronics alarm installation website page and would suggest that the battery will operate the alarm if the leisure battery is disconnected. This would seem logical as a thief would simply have to remove said leisure battery to render the alarm useless.

yeah, the alarm does function when the leisure battery is removed but only for a few days, maybe a week, I've found.

A few days would be sufficient time for me to give the leisure battery a quick top up before use if necessary.

• 2 weeks later...

My last 'van had a Keene alarm, but used a standard pp3 not a rechargeable. I know other models do have them.

As a non-retired electronics engineer I can confirm that the alarm does continue to operate fully from the PP3 even when the leisure battery is not fitted, though I never measured the current draw to work out for how long. In fact if the leisure battery goes flat, the alarm will sound and annoy the neighbours if in storage.

That's how I discovered my battery was dying, calls from the storage site manager to tell me my alarm was sounding. Fortunately the storage site is on an old industrial site so no one to annoy except the site manager.