Coachman Warranty Claims

bandybash

I have just contacted my dealer Wandahome, regarding the 2nd annual servicing for my 2012 VIP 560/4, I also requested that some items where replaced under warranty. One of these items is the main door fly screen because the tension strings have failed rendering the screen inoperative. I didn't think that it would be a problem, but the dealer has come back and said the claim is disallowed by Coachman and that replacement at my expense would be in excess of £250. Referring to my warranty booklet I couldn't see how this was not covered as it was not listed in specific exclusions. I then looked up the SGA 1979 and to my surprise it is the dealer who being the seller has to put this right and any claim to the manufacturer is an exclusive issue between those parties.

Has anyone else had any similar experience and if so what was the outcome?

Porsche Cayenne Turbo tugging 2012 Coachman VIP 560/4

When we had to claim for some new blinds in our previous Bailey our dealer thought the warranty was only for the first 12 months, but it transpired that the manufacturer gave a 2 year warranty so all was OK. It was Bailey who actuallly confirmed this with the dealer. Not sure who makes the door screens for the Coachman, but it may be worth checking with the manufacturer, then going back to the dealer.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

It does say in the 2014 Coachman manual that years 2,3,4,5 have certain exclusions. One of these exclusions is the adjustment of blinds. They maybe classing the fly screen as a blind that needs adjustment.

The actual warranty period for individual items, of fitted equipment, does not mention any blinds.

This is obviously a difficult area.

As you say your contract is with the dealer not Coachman but Dealers always seem to revert to this "The Manufacturers said" attitude. It seems to be their get out of jail card.

Maybe some people with expert knowledge of SOGA will be along to advise.

Hope it's not wandahome south cave. .....they washed their hands of my brand new van with 60% damp at the first service, I had to deal direct with coachman, things didn't get better at the 2nd service 75% damp. 3rd service is at the end of the month. .....good luck with it

If I'd have known I was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more last night

My view of caravan warranties has always been that they are there, in general, to recompense the dealer for carrying out his contractual obligations to the customer.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

SOGA implies that goods must be fit for purpose irrespective of any warranty/ get out clauses. So a 2 year old caravan where the springs have gone in the door blind would be covered by this. The question I would pose to the dealer/maker is how long should these springs last for? Is it reasonable wear and tear to have failed so soon? Stand your ground !

Thanks for the replies, nothing back from Wandahome yet. Whenever they do reply it is never in writing, but I have asked for this to be referred to,the technical director and for the reply to be in writing. The warranty covers "all original components of the caravan including permanently fitted equipment forming part of the original manufacturers specification" in years 2 to 5. The warranty also states: " YOU HAVE LEGAL RIGHTS UMDER UK LAW GOVERNNG THE SALE OF CONSUMER GOODS, THIS WARRANTY DOES NOT AFFECT YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS". Finally these items are not listed as specific exclusions or listed in the manufacturers table of items having their own manufacturers guarantee or service arrangement.

What doesn't the dealer understand about the following from SOGA;

Key Facts:

1 Wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i. e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale).

2 Goods are of satisfactory quality if they reach the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking into account the price and any description. Aspects of quality include fitness for purpose, freedom from minor defects, appearance and finish, durability and safety.

3 It is the seller, not the manufacturer, who is responsible if goods do not conform to contract.

4 If goods do not conform to contract at the time of sale, purchasers can request their money back "within a reasonable time". (This is not defined and will depend on circumstances)

5 For up to six years after purchase (five years from discovery in Scotland) purchasers can demand damages (which a court would equate to the cost of a repair or replacement).

Edited by DeltaTIowner

Many thanks for your post DeltaTIowner, I must admit I was clueless about all this and have swallowed the standard dealer default of filing the claim with the manufacturer before work can commence with 3 separate dealers! I am a little suspicious that the dealer never replies in writing, I am now thinking that perhaps it is better to only communicate by e-mail and thus keep a record?

The road I am going down is the reasonable quality route, with high expectation as the component was new at the point of sale?

I back up my telephone conversations or face to face discussions with an email for the avoidance of doubt. My dealer is very good in that copies of these are on my file with them. Also they return calls! My last one didn't

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES