Van Electrics

bob1982

Hi all.

had a slightly odd one the other day when taking our second hand caravan out for the first time. A couple of times the electrics went off. I have a feeling my collegues with me may have been expecting a bit much of the caravan as they put on a kettle then the electric heater and the electric water heater all at the same time. I think this was pushing it.

The electrics came back on after resetting the rcd. But strangeley the rcd switch had not moved or indicated it had tripped. I assume it had tripped as the electrics had gone off.

do you think the electrics went off because too manu appliances were on? Also could the trip switch cut the electrics without the switch physically moving? Or is there another explination. It has been recently serviced.

thoughts?

No quick answer, but to start, a normal home kettle 8. 5A (a caravan kettle 750w 3. 3A) a 2kw heater again 8. 5A a water heater 2. 6A

Assuming a normal 16A site your over the top. When you say reset the RCD without it moving? That bit I'm unsure on.

You need to add up a list of the wattage of the items and work out the amp's as a guide W/230=A ( example 2000w kettle / 235V= 8. 5A) I hope this helps.

The RCD can trip but the switch apparently does not move. Whether the appliances caused this or not is dependant on the amperage available at the site bollard and the amperage of each appliance. 6 amp site most definitely, 10 amp site borderline, 16 amp site unlikely unless your kettle and heater are domestic appliances 3kw. The usual advice given to new caravanners is one appliance at a time but you MUST check the available site amperage.

Edited by b4bill

Are you sure it was the RCD that tripped? RCD's don't trip on overload they trip on earth leakage faults.

An MCB trips on overload,you can identify which it is, an RCD has a button marked test but an MCB doesn't.

knarf

No im not really sure. ... from what you say it seems more likely to be the mcb. Would that reset itself though after a short while as the only thing I touched after it went off was the rcd. Curious if it reset itself?

A circuit breaker will still trip whether the front lever moves or not.

It's designed to do so to stop "clever" people from wedging the lever in the on position in an effort to stop it tripping.

To reset it you have to move the lever to the off position to re-engage the mechanism and then switch it back on.

If it's a relatively old 'van then, if it's never been tripped, the mechanism is probably a bit stiff which is why the lever is not moving when it trips.

As it's actually tripping though it will be fine, so back to the original point, it does sound as though overload is the most likely cause.

Ssangyong Korando Sports SX / Adria Altea 472DS Eden