Breakdown On Site

bob1982

We recently went away for the first time in our new second hand van. All was well until I had a panic attack because I thought I had unwound the wheel on the alko stabaliser 1300 hitch which I know can cause it to jam. As it turned out I was just being daft and it was fine. .. but it did get me thinking. ..

if you are on site and something goes wrong like I jam the hitch or it wont come off the car or something mechanical like that. ... what do you do. I can see a situation where I cant hitch or unhitch or something breaks and we are in a world of trouble.

Is there some sort of mechanic or onsite mobile service insurance cover for this sort of thing. I have rac cover but I am not convinced this would help of we were onsite and stuck because of something like this. Can you have cover for this type of problem or do you just need to trawl through the yellow pages hoping to find a mobile repairer? It bothers me we could be left in trouble if something breaks or I unwind the alko hitch too much by mistake one day.

any thoughts?

Mayday,Mayday,Mayday. ................

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

If you are a member of the CC they have Mayday cover through Green Flag and the C&CC have Arrival through the RAC they both cover the car and caravan and will come onto site to sort you out.

PS we are with Mayday but our neighbours are with Arrival and the engine blew up on their Galaxy on the A1 they picked them up put the car on a lowloader hooked the van up and delivered the car to a garage local to home then brought the van home. Mayday works in the same way but we haven't had to use it (fingers crossed)

Edited by dave11a

Sounds like if im stuck then rac should get us home. May need to check the cover though as its a company car so I suspect it wont cover the van

The RAC cover I had with the company cars didn't cover the van and we couldn't add it as an extra so I took out Mayday as I was only with the CC then. My other half had AA cover and all they would say was they would try to help get the van home if the car broke down but wouldn't if it was the caravan that broke down.

Sounds like if im stuck then rac should get us home. May need to check the cover though as its a company car so I suspect it wont cover the van

I called RAC out and they wouldn't leave the hardstanding 'in case we get stuck on the grass'.......Mayday guarantee to get you off. ......

geoff

Easy! Just stand outside look puzzled and someone will appear and help you. Like MAGIC,!

We all do it, I completely sorted out the electrics on someone's caravan in the south of France one time - everyone loves a challenge!

Relax and enjoy.

It all depends on how good you are at understanding how things work and whether you are any good at working out what is wrong and how to fix things. If you are hopeless at these things then you should defiinitely pay for some help/insurance !

We used to race 2 stroke motor bikes, so with the the help of a manual, some gaffer tape, some cable ties and lots of electric insulating tape - we managed to fix most things ! :)

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

Yes; we had a Spanish family opposite us completely bewildered by their new (to them) van in Portugal. They had put many bottles of water in their van and it was all just pouring out underneath. They were distraught at the thought of their holiday being ruined. Communication was approximate, with their poor English and my wobbly Spanish but I soon worked out that whoever did the pre-delivery checks hadn't closed off the water drain taps. Sorted quickly, and they were charmingly grateful. Self help and community help easily the best first call.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

I've done a few really stupid things, the latest being not clamping the jockey wheel post properly so the nose dived to the ground. Always been helped and sorted by fellow caravanners. And having always had four be four towcars I've towed more than a few off when the ground has been rotten, always with pleasure.

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

This is reassurung stuff. Hopefully I will be expert enough one day to help others out as well. I am rubbish at diy so some rac piece of mind would make sense especially if im on a certified site with no one else about.

A company was started up around 5 years ago that would offer this type of service but alas it didn't get off the ground. Personally I get calls from people on campsites near (and some very far) from me, as much as possible I try to diagnose the fault on the telephone. ..as a last resort I will try to get to the customer to help. Often the calls come from people who either haven't had their van serviced or it has been serviced by someone who isn't qualified & therefore misses problems!

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk

I'm a Caravan Club member just so I can use their Green Flags Mayday service & their CL sites. I've only used the Clubs main sites for a couple of weekends over the last ten years

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

so with the the help of a manual, some gaffer tape, some cable ties and lots of electric insulating tape - we managed to fix most things ! :)

OK Shirl

Can you post your travel itinerary well in advance so we can all turn up at the same site just in case we have problems. ;):)

Must admit to enjoying fixing things though (drives SWMBO crazy!). The amount of stuff we've got that are like Triggers "still original brush" (x number of new heads and y number of new shafts) is embarrassing though! :blush:

When it all goes wrong though we've got Mayday cover.

OK Shirl

Can you post your travel itinerary well in advance so we can all turn up at the same site just in case we have problems. ;):)

Must admit to enjoying fixing things though (drives SWMBO crazy!). The amount of stuff we've got that are like Triggers "still original brush" (x number of new heads and y number of new shafts) is embarrassing though! :blush:

When it all goes wrong though we've got Mayday cover.

I really shouldn't post things on a Friday night after a few glasses of wine. ....... :D

I think there is a difference between break down cover and 'understanding' how things on the caravan work though. .... We still have breakdown cover . ... but I am also an avid 'user manual' reader which. is quite often the best way to understand how things are mean't to work which then means you can have a go at fixing things when they go wrong !!! I don't think many people bother reading and understanding their manuals. ....... ;)

After all it's not rocket science is it ?

Edited by Shirl250

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

You say you wound the Al-Ko hitch down? What do you mean? Did you wind the jockey wheel down too far?

If so what you need to do in your case is to wind it right down to the bottom, then re-engage the screw threads, wind it up a couple of inches THEN put a piece of tape around the inside jockey wheel post ( after first cleaning it thoroughly) and always make sure you NEVER wind it down past the tape.

If you need extra height, then support the coupling head with something temporarily, wind up the jocket wheel and re-position so that you can get the height you want. Hope this is helpful. ..Peter

Peter and Sandy pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 565 with

2016 Ford Kuga 2. 0. 180 ps. Titanium Nav.

Retired and loving it.

but I am also an avid 'user manual' reader which. is quite often the best way to understand how things are mean't to work which then means you can have a go at fixing things when they go wrong !!! I don't think many people bother reading and understanding their manuals. ....... ;)

It's woman thing, manuals are for putting your coffee cups on.

geoff

It's woman thing, manuals are for putting your coffee cups on.

geoff

:D

On the alko 1300 there is a leaver on one side and a small radial type screw on the other side. Idea is to unscrew it then put on the tow ball. Tighten the screw and push the leaver down to engage the stabiliser. I have read if you tighten or untighten too much the screw can jam. I didnt do it but I can see it happening one day which is what got me thinking.

The most valuable fix it tool on site is the Internet now, if you can get on this forum. ... sorted :) happy times.

The most valuable fix it tool on site is the Internet now, if you can get on this forum. ... sorted :) happy times.

Very true ! :)

You should hear the ratchet clicking when its tight enough, then you can put the handle down

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)