Mains Electric Meter

hawkaye

Hi all,

At the end of last year my mains electric voltmeter went pop. I had bought it from Ebay and fitted it myself; one wire to mains positive, one wire to mains neutral. It showed the voltage when on EHU.

Its replacement came today;

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/Red-LED-Digital-Volt-Voltage-Panel-Meter-AC-75V-to-300V-For-110V-220V-/261242487752?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item3cd34403c8

In the description are the words;

"Power supply: AC75-300V (with the input common-line)"

What are the sellers trying to tell me?

Is it another 1-wire to positive, 1-wire to neutral meter ?

Or something more fiendish?

Sellers not replying to emails, can you help ?

Thanks.

hawkaye :beardy:

Hi all,

At the end of last year my mains electric voltmeter went pop. I had bought it from Ebay and fitted it myself; one wire to mains positive, one wire to mains neutral. It showed the voltage when on EHU.

Its replacement came today;

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/Red-LED-Digital-Volt-Voltage-Panel-Meter-AC-75V-to-300V-For-110V-220V-/261242487752?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item3cd34403c8

In the description are the words;

"Power supply: AC75-300V (with the input common-line)"

What are the sellers trying to tell me?

Is it another 1-wire to positive, 1-wire to neutral meter ?

Or something more fiendish?

Sellers not replying to emails, can you help ?

Thanks.

Yep exactly as you state . ... two wires to Live and Neutral all that is needed.

No disrespect but usual disclaimers of course about safety and electrical competency when dealing with mains voltage systems apply, if in doubt or unsure get a trained professional to install for you.

Looking at the picture of the opened unit I can't see any reason for it to connect any other way.

There only appear to be 2 cables.

I would certainly make sure that it is connected through a low current fuse about 500mA should be about right.

I think that referring to "common line" simply means that there is a common connection whatever voltage you are using it for.

Ssangyong Korando Sports SX / Adria Altea 472DS Eden

Neat device, do make sure you fuse it where you tap off the volts.

Do you travel abroad a lot, I was wondering why you need to know the mains volts.

Chris in Warwickshire, Elddis Odyssey 482 (2008), Mitsubishi Outlander diesel, 2017

Thanks for your comments all. As for needing to know the mains volts; I don't. I just like to know.

I had a low-voltage experience on a site in the Loire Valley a while ago; a voltmeter would have saved some head scratching when the fridge performance suffered. On a farm site in Kent I was able to point out a faulty EHU recently.

hawkaye :beardy: