Gps Or Radio?

The two tracker systems I'm aware of make use of either GPS or triangulation via mobile network & radio signals. The main unique advantage of the radio system appears to be that it's very difficult to mask the homing signal compared to a GPS signal that is essentially lost by moving the 'van indoors. The main advantage of the GPS system is that it doesn't require a guy with radio triangulation device to pin-point the location.

Both systems are about the same price for both the unit and subscriptions.

So any views out there? GPS or radio?

p. s. The two systems I am currently looking at are the C&CC Club Secure (ApelloGEO) radio system and the Phantom Proactive iii GPS system.

I have always let mine lapse after 1st year but given the few bob you have invested in your 'van, I can understand your position! Sorry can't help.

Sam :beardy:

The two tracker systems I'm aware of make use of either GPS or triangulation via mobile network & radio signals. The main unique advantage of the radio system appears to be that it's very difficult to mask the homing signal compared to a GPS signal that is essentially lost by moving the 'van indoors. The main advantage of the GPS system is that it doesn't require a guy with radio triangulation device to pin-point the location.

Both systems are about the same price for both the unit and subscriptions.

So any views out there? GPS or radio?

p. s. The two systems I am currently looking at are the C&CC Club Secure (ApelloGEO) radio system and the Phantom Proactive iii GPS system.

we have the Phantom proactive. never had a problem with it, but we do store the caravan outside. i do hope that if ever it got stolen the scumbag thieves would put in indoors to block the signal, as i wouldn't want it back !!

I have always thought that if my van was stolen i wouldnt want it back

Lunar Ultima 540

Honda CRV 2. 2 Diesel

Ever seen War Horse? Didn't you all root for the horse's return after all its trials and tribulations? ;)

I've only had mine for six months or so (and it is my first) but I'm sure I would want it back if it were ever stolen. Maybe I get too attached to things. I've even named my car Caroline and thank her every time she nags me about driving too fast. That sounds a lot better as a thought in my head then as a written sentence on this page!!

You'd want it back if they stopped the thieves on their journey taking it away. But not two weeks later for sure!

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

The GSM (Mobile Phone) based systems use GPRS location and report via the mobile networks using this as well not just triangulation from cell towers, GSM isnt seriously affected by being inside a building unlike GPS and RF transmission based systems.

You just cannot keep these thieves at bay.

I take it this

https://www. youtube. com/watch?v=s7NrnBkLQsQ

would be quite handy if you wish to immobilise the tracker.

There are many videos on U tube regarding finding trackers on vehicles.

Here is one with lots of practical advice to caravan thieves on how to find your tracker!

I would not want my caravan back.

Have been talking to the MD at Phantom recently (Steve Cherry) and they're thinking of ways to entice/keep customers for subsequent years after the first year's free subscription (new caravans) has run out.

One thought is that owners will be able to monitor mileage towed. If anyone has other thoughts on what they'd like to see from a tracker in order to get value for money from their subs, I'm sure Steve Cherry would like to hear from them.

2019 Adria Adora Thames

If it truly is as easy as buying a £1. 99 cigar lighter gadget to render a £600 state of the art tracking system useless then I would imagine even £1 spent developing a mileage monitor or other such value added extra is £1 well and truly wasted.

I would like to see a multi-vector protection strategy from Phantom. If GPS tracking fails, use GPRS tracking, if that fails, use mast registration triangulation, if that fails, use a radio homing beacon, if that fails, use vehicle number plate recognition via the billions of CCTV cameras overseeing our lives, if that fails, have the device call 999 and send a recorded message, if that fails, scream out "Help me, I'm being stolen. Call the police" at 100dB (let's face it, nobody does anything these days when they hear an alarm siren), if that fails, explode a 'smart water' or dye squib when the door is opened.

And once he's done that, then he can throw in a mileage monitoring app! ;)

Back to the topic. ...

Whilst GPS tracking might seem initially the best way to go, clearly from the video above it is very easily circumvented. Maybe the GSM + Radio is the most effective system and C&CC have it right partnering with Custodia Systems?

It took me 30 seconds on U Tube to find those videos.

I am sure if you spent 30 minutes on invesigations you would find a lot more.

A bit like the M1 Abrahams tank $8 million being disabled by an IED cost- a few dollars.

I was looking at trackers and plumped for the "Tracker" - as fitted to police cars, one of their products (tracker locate) uses VHF, gsm, and GPS and also uses the network of other vehicles with tracker fitted, was going to ring them this week to see if this seemingly superior version to their caravan tracker can be fitted, the caravan version does come with a caravan club discount off lifetime subscription

http://www. tracker. co. uk/products/tracker-locate/

Patented VHF technology to find stolen vehicles even when they are hidden in metal containers or underground car parks

The combination of 3 methods of location tracking (VHF, GSM and GPS) provides Europe wide coverage

Dual technology and signal jamming detection to stop criminals using GPS/GSM jammers to block the tracking device

In-built motion sensors to identify unauthorised movement

Nationwide support from all UK police forces

Full access to the My TRACKER website

The TRACKER Mesh Network for even faster and more accurate tracking and location

A very interesting product indeed. My topic title was "GPS or Radio", this product appears to give me "GPS and Radio". Similar prices too.

This is now top of my short-list. Thank you for the link :)

I currently have a Sentinel Tracker made AV Tracking in Lincolnshire. ...I have it connected to my alarm system so if the alarm triggers I get text telling me what has happened. .It alerts me if my caravan battery goes flat or is stolen. if the van is moved I can real time track it's movement on a map on my computer.

The alarm went off whilst the van was in storage, I got a text telling me of the event. I phoned the owner of the storage compound and he got to my van whilst the alarm was still sounding.

All clever stuff but as stated above it can always be jammed.

So I suppose I could be a victim of professional thief but may stand a chance against an opportunist halfwit

At least I have made an effort

Edited by Hobbynut

It wasn't me. .The big lads did it and ran away

A very interesting product indeed. My topic title was "GPS or Radio", this product appears to give me "GPS and Radio". Similar prices too.

This is now top of my short-list. Thank you for the link :)

Some bad news :(

Called Tracker yesterday and they told me the Tracker Locate cannot be fitted to a caravan. They will only fit the Tracker Monitor or the Tracker Retrieve. Their reason was that the Tracker Locate motion sensor needs to know when to arm and the device senses the ignition state for this and, of course, a caravan doesn't have an ignition feed. I argued that it could arm when the battery master if switched off or when the alarm is armed but the chap I spoke to didn't seem to interested in customisation options!

I didn't think to ask whilst I was on the phone but I wonder if they would let do a DIY install?

Anyway, with the Tracker Monitor being VHF radio only and Phantom being a little cheaper, the Phantom Proactive iii has moved back into pole position.

I might email Tracker about that DIY install, though. ...

I must have a look at the phantom option then, was hoping to get one fitted in the next few weeks but work has overtaken, thanks for asking the question, I wondered why the seemingly better option wasn't available

Seems the phantom is powered from the leisure battery,surely all you have to do to disable it is disconnect the leisure battery

I've seen literature on the web stating that it send out a text message alert if the leisure battery is disconnected. If correct, you could infer from this that it has it's own internal battery. I sent Phantom a query regarding this so I'll let you know.

Got the reply from Phantom and, yes, it does have it's own 200mAh rechargeable battery. They (Steve Cherry) also mentioned that you get a text and a call if the power is cut or the 'van's alarm is set off.

Got the reply from Phantom and, yes, it does have it's own 200mAh rechargeable battery. They (Steve Cherry) also mentioned that you get a text and a call if the power is cut or the 'van's alarm is set off.

So what is the advantage of GPS over VHF, I thought from the site info there's a suggestion that VHF worked better inside buildings as GPS needed clear line of sight etc. any thought as I think you understand some of this electronic level stuff better than I

The main advantage of GPS is that the unit itself knows where it is to within a few meters and can transmit this location via the GSM mobile network. The disadvantage is that the GPS signal originates from space and is very weak by the time it gets to a GPS device on earth so can be lost inside buildings, underground and containers. It can also be jammed relatively easily. But note, as soon as the alarm is triggered it will begin transmitting it's exact location.

The main advantage of a VHF system is that it cannot be jammed and easily transmits its homing signal through walls, containers etc. But the VHF signal itself does not travel very far so these systems rely firstly on GSM mast association to provide a general area, then somebody (e. g. the police with suitable VHF tracking equipment) to home-in on the VHF signal once in the area. The disadvantage of the VHF system is that you never get an exact location and it requires somebody to actively look for it.

So with GPS, it's possible to track the movements of the vehicle, it can even be plotted on a map. VHF systems have to be homed-in on. It's easier to circumvent a GPS system.

Both have their pros and cons, which is why I really liked the Tracker Locate because it gives you the best of both worlds.

If I had to choose. ..I would chose a GPS based system because just one update provides exact location details and the ability to track it means that it's possible to intercept the thief en route.

p. s. Did you know. ....the GPS signal is simply the time transmitted over and over again? Each satellite has an atomic clock and transmits a very accurate time to it's area on the earth (the GPS satellites are geostationary). The GPS receiver picks up many of these time transmissions and computes its location based on how long it takes the signal to reach it.

p. p. s Did you also know that the progress of time in orbit is slightly faster than on earth?This is due to the effect gravity has on time as defined by Einstein's theory of general relativity and a correction has to applied.

Thats a good synopsis tictag thanks for that, I think I'm erring towards VHF tracker with the caravan club discount, I may well install my own gps locator as I seem to remember there were some quite cheap options available when we looked at fitting some to the vans at work, time for google to do its magic again. Annoying there is no workaround for the locate system!

P. S - no I didn't

P. P. S - yes I had come across that probably on the discovery channel or messrs cox and o'brien although the more I think about it, it has an inverse effect on how many brain cells are left to think about it

Edited by sleepyfolk

The main advantage of GPS is that the unit itself knows where it is to within a few meters and can transmit this location via the GSM mobile network. The disadvantage is that the GPS signal originates from space and is very weak by the time it gets to a GPS device on earth so can be lost inside buildings, underground and containers. It can also be jammed relatively easily. But note, as soon as the alarm is triggered it will begin transmitting it's exact location.

The main advantage of a VHF system is that it cannot be jammed and easily transmits its homing signal through walls, containers etc. But the VHF signal itself does not travel very far so these systems rely firstly on GSM mast association to provide a general area, then somebody (e. g. the police with suitable VHF tracking equipment) to home-in on the VHF signal once in the area. The disadvantage of the VHF system is that you never get an exact location and it requires somebody to actively look for it.

So with GPS, it's possible to track the movements of the vehicle, it can even be plotted on a map. VHF systems have to be homed-in on. It's easier to circumvent a GPS system.

Both have their pros and cons, which is why I really liked the Tracker Locate because it gives you the best of both worlds.

If I had to choose. ..I would chose a GPS based system because just one update provides exact location details and the ability to track it means that it's possible to intercept the thief en route.

p. s. Did you know. ....the GPS signal is simply the time transmitted over and over again? Each satellite has an atomic clock and transmits a very accurate time to it's area on the earth (the GPS satellites are geostationary). The GPS receiver picks up many of these time transmissions and computes its location based on how long it takes the signal to reach it.

p. p. s Did you also know that the progress of time in orbit is slightly faster than on earth?This is due to the effect gravity has on time as defined by Einstein's theory of general relativity and a correction has to applied.

Hi tictag, I'm getting a tracker fitted next week but thought I'd go belt and braces and fit my own gps unit, what do you think of this one, you can get hard wired (self fitted) with subscription or payg option

http://www. snooper. co. uk/gps-tracking/my-trak-wpt250-automotive. html

Edited by sleepyfolk

It sounds pretty good and for a very nice price (relatively speaking). It's not one I would personally chose because I would prefer one that integrates into my alarm and has got 'people' behind the messages (I do get the impression that this system is a purely online and that's how they have kept the price down). But this system packs a real punch for that price. With the products they sell, you could probably track other things - car, genset, dog, grand children etc, all from one console! ;)