Unicorn S2 Gas Bottle Locker

caraman1

Next weekend we will be away in our Barcelona at a local CL to get the van sorted for the season. For a variety of reasons I might not be able to change over to our Propane gas bottles. My question is, when we get there and start up the heating on 3Kw EHU and the van warms up, will the temperature in the Gas locker also rise due to the location of the Alde heating pipes, and allow me to use Butane even if the external temperature drops??

Dave

Edited by caraman1

Discovery 4 HSE 2015, Bailey Unicorn S4 Barcelona 2018.
http://www. mycaravan. org. uk/

Hopefully because the caravan is better insulated, but the issue is a bigger one.

Whilst drawing the high quanity levels of gas the Adle needs in full belt will refrigerate the Butane bottle, the insulation of the gas locker will work against you not allowing much ambeint air warming. Once the bottle is down to zero C then it will not gas off.

The more depleated the gas in the bottle the quicker that refrigeration effect gets it down to zero.

General rule of thumb you need ambient of 6C plus to use Butane successfully.

Thanks JTQ. I was envisaging that we would keep the Alde on electric and use the gas only for the oven as everything else would be used on electric. With the Alde heating pipe running directly under the floor of the gas locker I wondered how much heat transfer there could be.

Dave

Is it because it's not insulated and full of holes to let any spilled gas escape?

I don't know the installation detail but feel your chances are near zero; they would not build a van "leaking" heat would they[ type logic]?

You can try it will only go into displaying "Gas out" mode if it fails.

Your 3 Kw electrical should keep you okay, the issue is warming the van on arrival. Then if the bottle starts above zero then till the drain has pulled it down to zero it should yield something; time depends on temperature and amount in bottle, more the better. Realistically in these conditions you only will need gas support for a shortish while, 30, 40 minutes.

My boss would kill me if it did not work, but you might be better able to get away with it!!

Edited by JTQ

I don't know the installation detail but feel your chances are near zero; they would not build a van "leaking" heat would they[ type logic]?

You can try it will only go into displaying "Gas out" mode if it fails.

Your 3 Kw electrical should keep you okay, the issue is warming the van on arrival. Then if the bottle starts above zero then till the drain has pulled it down to zero it should yield something; time depends on temperature and amount in bottle, more the better. Realistically in these conditions you only will need gas support for a shortish while, 30, 40 minutes.

My boss would kill me if it did not work, but you might be better able to get away with it!!

Exactly my thinking, especially the OH comment!!