Santa Fe 2012 Towbar - Does It Have To Be Detachable?

dougiew39

Looking at a 2nd hand Santa Fe 2012 (Not the new shape) and was wondering if a fixed towbar might be affected by the central reversing sensor? Anyone out there got this style of Santa Fe with a fixed towbar? Detachable types are so much more expensive.

Thanks

2012 Coachman Pastiche 520/4 with Volvo XC90

Hi Dougie

I've got an MY12 (previous shape) Santa Fe with a Witter detachable towbar. I also have a black bumper protector plate (as per same site) fitted to the detachable head. On occasions I have left it connected whilst not towing and had no issues with it triggering the reversing sensors. On this basis I wouldn't expect the fixed model to impact these either.

Let me know if you want me to send over some photos of this set-up.

Having said that, the sensors do trigger when reverse is selected with the caravan on the back. This can be fixed but, given I normally move the caravan with a motor mover, it rarely happens so haven't bothered to look at it.

I also have dedicated Westfalia electrics fitted and no software update was required for the car.

There is a review I put in on the car in the Reviews section that includes various documentation downloads you may want to have a look at.

Cheers for now and let me know if you need further.

Hi Dougie

I've got an MY12 (previous shape) Santa Fe with a Witter detachable towbar. I also have a black bumper protector plate (as per same site) fitted to the detachable head. On occasions I have left it connected whilst not towing and had no issues with it triggering the reversing sensors. On this basis I wouldn't expect the fixed model to impact these either.

Let me know if you want me to send over some photos of this set-up.

Having said that, the sensors do trigger when reverse is selected with the caravan on the back. This can be fixed but, given I normally move the caravan with a motor mover, it rarely happens so haven't bothered to look at it.

I also have dedicated Westfalia electrics fitted and no software update was required for the car.

There is a review I put in on the car in the Reviews section that includes various documentation downloads you may want to have a look at.

Cheers for now and let me know if you need further.

Thanks for the info - sounds like a fixed should be OK. Like you, I use a mover so the noise on reversing doesn't bother me too much on my current Tucson. I've had a look at your review - great stuff! Might be in touch again with more questions if that's OK!

Thanks again, Dougie

I have a fixed towbar on a 12 plate Santa Fe and it causes no day to day issues with the sensors. I don't have a switch to turn them off so it does beep constantly when reversing with the van (or trailer) on the back but otherwise it makes no difference. This was something I questioned the fitters about before fitting and they said, correctly, it would be no bother.

I would have preferred detatchable for the aesthetics, but the cost put me off.

Cruzer, aka Colin

Growing old is unavoidable, growing up is optional. .. Hyundai Santa Fe & Bailey Pegeant Bretagne.

Same here. Detachable but not needed!

Good thing was I told the dealer I was concerned about the central reversing sensor and he kindly had a detachable fitted as part of the deal!

For the amount of time I'm reversing with the 'van I can put up with the noise.

You might like to consider flanged variety if you intend to carry a bike rack etc! but fixed or detachable either is fine.

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

Thanks for all the very quick responses guys -very helpful :)

Are you guys saying that the reversing sensors/beeping can't be auto-disabled with a dedicated wiring kit?

Any vehicle I've ever had with reversing sensors has been fitted with kits that disable this. I could not stand the noise while trying to concentrate on reversing with a 'van on.

Will cross the Santa Fe off our possibles list if this is the case.

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

Are you guys saying that the reversing sensors/beeping can't be auto-disabled with a dedicated wiring kit?

Hi Rodders

I believe it can but doesn't bother me so . ....................

Best to confirm with your potential fitter before proceeding.

Cheers

ps would highly recommend the reversing camera (if budget stretches) as great for aligning hitch \ towball.

The Right Connections dedicated kit disables the reversing sensors using a micro switch in the 13 pin socket. However a decent fitter who knows what they are doing can fit this system without too much bother. The control box / connections for the reversing sensors are behind the near side boot panel and the power supply can be tapped into to go via the micro switch or manual switch for that matter. It would drive me nuts to put up with the beep constantly on when you are trying to concentrate.

Don't cross the Santa Fe off your list for this reason it is a really comfortable and capable tow car.

Kia Sorento GT Line

Bailey Unicorn Madrid 2016