Any Tips For Me?

adamtoonarmy

I pick up my brand new Bailey Unicorn Madrid tomorrow, only my second ever van, my first being my now traded in Ranger GT60 520/4

Any tips for me when picking it up and towing it for the first time?

Anything I should know for my first trip in it this Saturday, anything difficult to set up or anything?

Any help much appreciated

Check i,t Check it then Check it again. Make sure everything is working both with the mains connected. Then Disconnect the mains and make sure it all works on 12 volt and gas. The Alde heating is superb but the control panel takes a bit of head scratching. Follow the manual exactly. It's a dumb computer and does not think like a human so the order you do things in can appear a little odd.

Otherwise enjoy. It's a great van.

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

Check tyre ages. My olympus came with tyres that were already nearly 3 yr old not a happy bunny on a brand new van and still waiting on the dealers response.

Make sure the noseweight is safe to tow away.

I take my gas bottles and 4 or 5 empty 5 litre plastic containers in case "ballasting" is needed.

Then as said check check and recheck all is as it should be and the PDI has been done in fine detail. You have paid dear for "delivery" and PDI so make sure you get it.

If its a good dealer all will have been done and they will not object; if not you will know before you need to make the payment so are in control.

Edited by JTQ

Nose weight important on Baileys. Stick to the recomended noseweight. My pegasus can be a lousy tow if the noseweight is not right as I found out on a 31/2 thousand mile trip round Europe last year. On my last trip out in January I left awning canvas, chairs etc under the rear fixed bed and got a much better tow. So noseweight crucial. You will need two or three trips to get it right.

Get the dealer to demonstrate that there is no damp in any of the front lockers.

Freelander 2 chased by a 2011 Unicorn Valencia

My advice would be to thoroughly check the shower. You need to jack the near side up to create a slope across the van and pass at least 2 full aqua rolls through the shower, wait 15 minutes and check no water is slowly creeping across the floor. You need to do this before you have paid any remaining money due and before you have filled in any details relating to tracker, warranties e. t. c. I could have saved myself months and months of hassle if I had followed this advice!

On the handover demo, On the Alde heating don't let them tell you to ignore the bottom line on the main screen its most important you know what ALL the things do. I was told their was nothing important on the bottom line, so ignore it!!On my first 2 trips out I was asked to leave CC sites for blowing main EEC electric pillars.

Insist that the dealer demonstrates how to operate all the systems. For example how to drain down the water and heating systems and also how to drain down the toilet flush tank. I once helped someone on his first trip with a new Barcelona. He couldn't understand why there was no water coming from the taps and the pump just kept running constantly - until I was able to show him that the blue lever that switches between the external aquaroll and the on-board tank was set to draw from the on-board tank, which he had not filled, so the pump was just drawing air.

We fight not for glory, nor for wealth nor honours . ..

but only and alone we fight for freedom,

which no good man surrenders but with his life.

Get the dealer to demonstrate that there is no damp in any of the front lockers.

this wouldn't be an issue on a S2 Madrid, only on S1 built before Feb 2011

Make sure you have a complete handover of the van, and don't be scared to ask if there is something your not sure of or didn't understand when explained, the amount of stories i've heard of where dealers basically hands over the keys and waves them off is unbelievable!

Also make sure if has all the bits is should have with it, so Alko jack, Alko wheel lock, TV etc. .

Edited by Caravantech