Lunar Clubman Saros Special Edition

chrisy

Very true and thanks. As we generally travel as only 2 adults in the car I am planning to keep the awning (24kgs) in one of the rear seats of the car and the compact City BBQ (10kgs?) in seat 4 - all well within the car's chassis capacity. Our clothes, weighing little can live between the van and the boot as they are just a few kgs.

Looking again today at what we usually pack, I actually wonder if we have enough weight to counterbalance the nose weight! Maybe I will need to put the awning in the van so as to achieve the perfect weight distribution as you describe.

• 1 month later...

Very interesting what Mike Wild mentioned about the skylight wiring, as we have exactly the same problem in our SB and of course the dealer quotes the standard reply to most issues, 'never heard of that one before'!! Very frustrating having to get out of bed after reading to turn the main light switch off above the door.

I read in an earlier entry re the alarm just clicking, again we had the same and got 'Sargent' (manufacturer) to send a whole new unit down (very easy to fit and register the remote fobs), however DON'T try to reset with the old unit in close proximity, and fully disconnect the battery.

Our Alde heating packed in, the panel showing a warning overheat message. I spent most of the day speaking to our dealer at Swindon and Alde (somewhere) with all sorts of wrong signals/red herrings, including bleeding the system and topping up with a rare and specific antifreeze - the solution I found in the hand book was to disconnect the 12v supply, you would need fingers like Edward scissor hands to disconnect/reconnect, so the simple solution if you find yourself in this predicament is to simply disconnect the battery for 30 secs, reconnect and turn the boiler back on.

Had a leak to the toilet, doesn't seem quite as good as the old type but posh electric flush works well. Agree the unlocking of the cassette door is tricky.

Be gentle with the front locker door as I have had to have the whole hinge system replaced.

An old omnivent kitchen extractor wouldn't go amiss.

We had a solar panel added if nothing else just to keep the battery topped up for the alarm/tracker and power for the mover.

I have been at stalemate with Lunar and our dealer with the wardrobe door, which I say is bowed and I have to say I have had to very reluctantly accept that this has to be, even though I have seen several others (including the 2015 Clubman) with the same problem, which apparently is 'within the parameters of caravan construction in regard to weight/quality ratios'. There is a new one on order - we shall wait and see.

However, apart from a couple of other minor bits, believe it or not, we're really pleased with the luxurious feel and practicality of the van.

• 3 weeks later...

May i ask the forum a question please. I have a Lunar Clubman Saros, should it have come with clip on covers to shield the side vents in winter. I notice some of the vans at the storage facility have them fitted?

Most vans don't come with winter covers these days, you have to buy them yourself if you feel you need them. Strange that they're fitted to vans in store as they serve no purpose whilst stored. Their purpose is to keep the fridge vent flue warmer, allowing the fridge to work efficiently in cold weather. A van in store usually doesn't have a working fridge.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

AFAIK Lunar don't supply the winter covers - they serve the useful purpose in storage of reducing insects and reducing wind-blown rain use the covers all the time except when the fridge is in use in warmer conditions.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Most vans don't come with winter covers these days, you have to buy them yourself if you feel you need them. Strange that they're fitted to vans in store as they serve no purpose whilst stored. Their purpose is to keep the fridge vent flue warmer, allowing the fridge to work efficiently in cold weather. A van in store usually doesn't have a working fridge.

AFAIK Lunar don't supply the winter covers - they serve the useful purpose in storage of reducing insects and reducing wind-blown rain use the covers all the time except when the fridge is in use in warmer conditions.

I have always wondered on this point as these covers normally come overpriced and with little or no instructions. I have searched before but just tried again and this is a quote from Dometic.

"The winter cover protects against cold air to secure the fridge performance in cold weather conditions".

It would be nice if they were more specific, cold is after all a subjective term.

Personally I think they make sense to use in storage also for the reasons Black Grouse gave. After all if yo have them you might as well use them, not had any stolen as yet.

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

I think the accepted norm is that they can be fitted once the temperature regularly drops below 10C.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

The fridge operating manual supplied with ALL? caravans should give the temperature at which to fit them - it used to be 7 C on Electrolux and early Dometics but changed to 10C on more recent versions - I presume Thetford give the information somewhere.

We have the winter covers to prevent creepy crawlies and mice getting inside the caravan and also just in case we want to go out during the cooler months.

• 4 months later...

Thank you for all your replies regarding the side covers can i now ask if anyone thinks that the ALDE heating pump which is located in the wardrobe is extremely noisy. I understand noise carries at night and it beggars belief that Lunar would fit a pump next to where your head is located on your bed. I believe that the pump can be relocated to near the heating boiler under the settee but at a cost does anyone have any issues. Thanks in advance.

• 3 months later...

Very interesting what Mike Wild mentioned about the skylight wiring, as we have exactly the same problem in our SB and of course the dealer quotes the standard reply to most issues, 'never heard of that one before'!! Very frustrating having to get out of bed after reading to turn the main light switch off above the door.

I read in an earlier entry re the alarm just clicking, again we had the same and got 'Sargent' (manufacturer) to send a whole new unit down (very easy to fit and register the remote fobs), however DON'T try to reset with the old unit in close proximity, and fully disconnect the battery.

Our Alde heating packed in, the panel showing a warning overheat message. I spent most of the day speaking to our dealer at Swindon and Alde (somewhere) with all sorts of wrong signals/red herrings, including bleeding the system and topping up with a rare and specific antifreeze - the solution I found in the hand book was to disconnect the 12v supply, you would need fingers like Edward scissor hands to disconnect/reconnect, so the simple solution if you find yourself in this predicament is to simply disconnect the battery for 30 secs, reconnect and turn the boiler back on.

Had a leak to the toilet, doesn't seem quite as good as the old type but posh electric flush works well. Agree the unlocking of the cassette door is tricky.

Be gentle with the front locker door as I have had to have the whole hinge system replaced.

An old omnivent kitchen extractor wouldn't go amiss.

We had a solar panel added if nothing else just to keep the battery topped up for the alarm/tracker and power for the mover.

I have been at stalemate with Lunar and our dealer with the wardrobe door, which I say is bowed and I have to say I have had to very reluctantly accept that this has to be, even though I have seen several others (including the 2015 Clubman) with the same problem, which apparently is 'within the parameters of caravan construction in regard to weight/quality ratios'. There is a new one on order - we shall wait and see.

However, apart from a couple of other minor bits, believe it or not, we're really pleased with the luxurious feel and practicality of the van.

we've also had problems with the wardrobe door warping and eventually falling off in transit my dealer is getting me a new one, the only thing I can see which could rectify this is a bigger vent or even an outside vent for the alde system.

I have read in this thread that folk have had problems with the stinger alarm system fitted in their clubman vans, I have a Delta RS with the same alarm system and i am having the same problems. .............alarm stopped working completely, dealer said there were two plugs round the wrong way, I cant see how it worked fine when i picked the van up then two plugs swapped over all on their own, Alarm worked for a few days, now there is no arm/disarm bleep although the alarm does trigger via the PIR.

Have any of the posters had any method of repair/fixes for these alarm probs???

BMW X5 followed by a 2014 Lunar Delta RS

My solution to Phantom tracker issues was to remove it from the caravan!

I know that the alarm and tracker are linked to the same control room somewhere, I also know that my tracker does work as it should. The problem i am having is with the alarm disarm/arm beep, i have no audible beep when arming or disarming but if i trigger the alarm by entering the van whilst armed then the sounder does work. My question is. ...............are the alarm sounder and the arming beep one and the same or are there two separate sounders?

BMW X5 followed by a 2014 Lunar Delta RS

• 6 months later...

Hi all, sorry for resurrecting this thread, but we have just upgraded to a saros, and looking forward to going away at Easter.

Are you all still happy with your Saros? Anything that we should look out for?

Which model are you getting?

John.

Shoremeister,

We have the SI,cannot fault it we both love it. Hope you enjoy yours as much as we enjoy ours.

John

• 3 weeks later...

Picked it up this weekend - love it! Cant wait for Easter now!

Previous owners have retired from caravanning and so have left us with their battery, electric hook up lead, water hose all stuff that hubby is chuffed about - but they've taken the toothbrush cup holder! Never mind - gives me an excuse to shop!

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.