Gas Connections

Realist

Hi all,

My tourer is now pitched and I want to use the large bottle gas but the gas feed coming from under the front of the van is to short.

Can I just get longer gas pipe, change it and job done?

Thanks.

Edited by Realist

Thanks,

Realist.

Yes as long a its designed specifically for that purpose and has passed all the relevant regulations.

Check regulations on the site and your insurance as there are requirements of gas cylinders being secure so they don't get knocked over and pull on the gas pipes. You might need it to be chained secure. You will just need a longer pigtail and a gas leak test then.

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

450mm is the maximum length for a touring caravan pig tail .

I did here of one site at the start of the season last year telling all seasonal caravaners that all gas bottles must be inside the gas lockers and not next to the caravan and the reason was insurance and the LPG gas regulations .

Olympic caravan services.
Approved mobile workshop covering wrexham northwales shropshire and west cheshire.

mob 07827738671 land line 01978 710 943

www.olympiccaravanservices.com    enquiries@olympiccaravanservices.com

Yes I have read up on the pigtail lengths and the site I'm on allows large bottled.

I intend to do as follows:

1) Cut off the old orange gas pipe from the van and save the regulator.

2) Extend the orange pipe so it reaches outside just enough to reach the new large bottle.

3) Use flexible conduit to protect pipe from rodents etc.

4) Reconnect new orange pipe to van and regulator and connect to new bottle.

5) Chain bottle to fence that's at the side of the van to secure it.

6) Place some sort of cap to the top of the bottle to protect the regulator from interference but make it breathable and removable.

Hope the above reads ok.

Thanks,

Realist.

How old is your caravan is it pre bulkhead regulators? its the bit about orange pipe that concerns me

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Its a 2005.

The above is a assessment as I have not had a good look at the pipework (not had time to visit van) but will be this weekend coming.

Will have a closer look then.

PS,

It has a bulkhead regulator from memory when I changed the bottle last.

Ummmmmmmmmm just realisted no orange pipework on my van just a pigtail direct from the regulator!

So how do peeps extend for bigger bottles?

Edited by Realist

Thanks,

Realist.

450mm is the maximum length for a touring caravan pig tail .

I did here of one site at the start of the season last year telling all seasonal caravaners that all gas bottles must be inside the gas lockers and not next to the caravan and the reason was insurance and the LPG gas regulations .

I don't think there are any regulations defining the length as many static caravans have their large bottles placed outside. When we were on a seasonal site, we had a 45kg bottle placed inside the awning with the hose to the connection. You are correct about many sites requesting that bottles are kept inside the gas locker, but probably not for LPG regulations or insurance. More than likely the reason is that gas bottles can be an eyesore and if a large bottle for obvious safety reasons in case the bottle falls over on a child.

You would need to be very careful altering the gas and regulators . Your connecting high pressure gas from the bottle to regulator.

Anything happens and your insurance will be invalidated if you had a fire you would need any alteration carried out by a gas fitter and certificated to satisfy a insurance company.

As said you breach any gas regulations and cause injury in a explosion you can end up behind bars.

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Found a 1. 5m pigtail on eBay going to visit van and see if that would be long enough, if not I'll get the biggest bottle that can fit the locker and go from there.

Thanks,

Realist.

There is no legal requirement to have a bulkhead mounted regulator but the NCC has such a requirement if the caravan is to conform to NCC approval.

Bottle mounted regulators are permitted for touring caravans regardless of whether they are permanently sited or not.

Edited to simplify wording.

Edited by beejay

You would need to be very careful altering the gas and regulators . Your connecting high pressure gas from the bottle to regulator.

Anything happens and your insurance will be invalidated if you had a fire you would need any alteration carried out by a gas fitter and certificated to satisfy a insurance company.

As said you breach any gas regulations and cause injury in a explosion you can end up behind bars.

Dave

It seems as if you are saying that one should get a qualified gas fitter to change your bottle when it is empty? Surely adding a longer pigtail is not an alteration?

450 mm Maximum pigtail . It would be a Modification to exceed it to a standing cylinder .

Dave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

There are regulations on free standing cylinder on tourer sites because of the movement of traffic . . Totally different regulations for statics with free standing cylinder that are housed at the side of the caravan with automatic shut off valves and restricted access by traffic . .

Dave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

The regs for sites are a different situation and are specific to sites,they don't apply to touring caravans used for private use and not available for hire.

knarf

Edited by KNARF

Purchased a longer pigtail but I don't think its long enough.

Edited by Grandpa Steve

Thanks,

Realist.