Towing With A Megane 1.4

skegnesspete

hi i dont have any handbooks to spare but has anyone ever towed with a megane mk1 1. 4 16v car is a 51 reg and the caravan is an elddis whirlwind EX300 2 berth 1996 year, is this

car legal to tow this caravan and also can i tow it on a normal category B licence

thanks

Edited by skegnesspete

From what I can see, the Megane has a kerbweight of 1140kg, and the caravan a maximum weight of 1050kg (92% match). However, I can't find the car's towing limit which of course may be more or may be less. . You could use the figures on the VIN plate to get an idea.

However, even if the weights are fine, I'd be more concerned with the 74bhp of power and more so the 114nm of torque that the engine produced when new. Asking the engine to pull over two tonnes might be a bit much.

Whilst the match might be perfectly legal (and well within the Category B driving licence even post 1997), I think that you might find it hard work, and the clutch/gearbox will certainly get plenty of work.

1958 Morris Minor towing 2012 Hobby Landhaus

Welcome to the forum.

Yes it would be legal, but is unlikely to be a good combination or a reliable one.

I don’t have the manufacturer’s technical specs for either your car or your proposed caravan, but smaller cars are generally built to a cost.

With regard to such small cars the suspension, clutches and transmissions are designed to be adequate for the car and four occupants, very occasionally with luggage.

Asking an old Meganne to reliably cope with such an added load may well be the straw that breaks the camel’s back.

This is a link to an amusing small car heavy caravan video clip. ;)

Twin Axle Fleetwood Heritage 640 EST - pulled by a dual fuel, (Petrol/LPG) BMW 528i Auto

http://www. carsite. co. uk/car-data/renault/megane/2001-2002/hatchback/14-16v-fidji-5dr/id/19442

Renault Megane 2001-2002 Hatchback 1. 4 16V Fidji 5Dr

WEIGHTS & CAPACITIES

Weight (unladen): 1080 kg
Loaded Weight (kg): 1595 kg
Maximum Towing Weight (Braked): 1250 kg
Legally you can tow up to a MTPLM/MAM of 1905 kgs on a B licence but not more than 1250 actual weight
I the kerbweight seems to be lower than 1140 as previously stated but that could be the difference between unladen and kerb

As said on paper it can tow it but I think it will be a case of give it a go . You will find it a slow haul with plenty of changing up and down the gears and the strain on the vehicle will depend on the amount of miles you want to tow . If your only going to tow twice a year then you might be fine but if your looking at touring and towing every week it might be better to look at a bigger tow vehicle.

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

As said, its the BHP per ton thats going to let you down. A 12/13 year old car with 74 bhp when new will give you a ratio of about 30 bhp per ton, if you're lucky. You might be ok in Norfolk, but i'd give Derbyshire a miss!!

My wife has a 1. 6 megane & to be honest i wouldn't want to tow much more than our trailer tent with it

Edited by Woodie106

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

thanks for replies car is a 16v 90bhp model it doesn't have a towbar on yet so whether to take the risk of having one fitted to see how the care will cope im not sure if it will be a waste of money. also can someone go into detail about a catergory B licence after 1997 if this setup will be legal to tow, it is just showing a black screen for that link to a small car towing a caravan

thanks everyone

If you can afford to I would change the car, it won't be a comfy tow and it will certainly be very sluggish. A diesel Mondeo, Vectra or other car of that size should do the job nicely.

<p>2007 Sterling Cruach Cuillin & 2016 Volvo XC60 SE D4 190

i was looking at vectras but the 1. 8 petrols i dont really like modern diesels with amount of things that go wrong, so i saw a 03 rover 45 2. 0 turbo diesel (old type non commonrail) with a towbar already fitted for 550 quid will probably have a look

the youtube video is now working that car is knackered now lol

Edited by skegnesspete

i was looking at vectras but the 1. 8 petrols i dont really like modern diesels with amount of things that go wrong, so i saw a 03 rover 45 2. 0 turbo diesel (old type non commonrail) with a towbar already fitted for 550 quid will probably have a look

the youtube video is now working that car is knackered now lol

If your considering the Rover 45 td I would check the towing capacity first as I have a feeling there only rated at 1000kg

2022 Pilote P696GJ for European touring-  2022 Coachman VIP 565 for touring the UK towed by a 2022 Skoda kodiaq Sportline 4x4 dsg 200PS

I've towed an old Carlight with a 2004 1. 4 Scenic (same engine as yours). The Carlight weighs 880 kg empty, 1140 full. Scenic has 1300kg maximum weight behind. Yes, it tows- I had a comfortable 55mph, and going to Basse Normandie up and down the fairly steep hills it was OK.

It's not the modern "I can't feel it's behind me" type of car, but it will get you there, at about the same speed as the lorries!

Can't tell you about the licence, I'm afraid- I passed my test in 1974. :)

Most of the small cars in Normandy have towbars- they all have trailers, loaded to the gunnels. Particularly on Sundays, when the town dump is open.

Edited by drummond

As far as the driving licence is concerned, with a relatively light oufit like a Megane and a 2 berth caravan you will be miles away from the 3500 gross train weight limit that applies to a Category B licence obtained after 1997. If you obtained your licence before then it won't be an issue anyway.

• 1 month later...

hi everyone i have sold the megane and purchased a rover 75 1. 8 petrol that should pull it ok shouldn't it?