C C Baltic Wharf To Close At End Of 2014?

Glen and Les

Heard today from an unofficial source that Baltic Wharf will be closing at the end of the year and the fact that the CC website gives a closing date of 4 Jan 2015, may well confirm the fact. Have no idea if another club will take it over, as happened with the Bowness Site, or whether the land will be used for other developments.

Anybody wishing to visit, but never been lucky enough to get in, should book a few days in November (still available) while you can!

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

How sad ! It is in a perfect position for the centre of Bristol. We spent a week there for the first time a few weeks ago in January and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves despite the weather. The cycling was excellent too. As above - it is prime real estate !

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

That would be a big loss to the hobby; its a brilliant location for a near unique camping experience, one as suitable in winter as summer.

Had been for years regular users in mid November, one of the few places where it works in that damp month. Even that proved too difficult getting a weeks slot over the last three years.

I thought it was City owned, hence being open to non members; seems strange they would value anything more from it than keep it as a tourist facility.

There is on going discussion on the CC web site This is what they posted in Nov

poolebob

Good evening, Baltic Wharf is still on the network for the foreseeable future so don't worry about your booking next year. As I mentioned earlier the site is closing for a very short period in January to do some essential maintenance but is as brief as possible so we can get members back onto one of the most popular sites on the network. Enjoy your visit. Natasha

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry:

• 3 weeks later...

Just been posted on the CC website.

Baltic wharf is likely to close the end of the year.

The council tell the club they badly need the land for a new local school.

A closure date will be given when all becomes clear.

The Council and club are working together to find another possible site in the area.

Dave formerly DaveBelcanto

Just been posted on the CC website.

Baltic wharf is likely to close the end of the year.

The council tell the club they badly need the land for a new local school.

A closure date will be given when all becomes clear.

The Council and club are working together to find another possible site in the area.

Not quite how I read it. According to the CC, The Council has given forewarning that it will be needed for a school but It will be remain open until at least the end of 2014.

Poolebob

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry:

Where do I find the info on the CC website? Have looked but can't find it!

Thanks.

Edit - I've found it! Thought it was an official "news" item, but found it in the discussions.

Edited by Glen and Les

Pity it has come to this, as I said earlier its location made a lovely and unique camping experience.

That it is to become a primary school greatly surprises us. It location is fraught with dangers from the water and busy road. Its small size and location IMO present insurmountable difficulties in providing both a viable school with any outside space and pick up and drop down facilities for mothers. It is not like primary aged children can simply alight or be collected from a vehicle, the mothers [carers] need to take them to the classroom, so proper large scale parking is needed. Don’t we know with the local primary school!

I have to also comment that I was not aware of a direct local housing conurbation to feed a primary school, the nearby apartments I feel would have a more mature occupancy, simply to afford them.

I read they are seeking alternatives but what they are losing simply has no real alternative to the package it offered, view, water taxi, pub, public transport, cycleways, walk ways, convenience store etc.

Big loss.

Edited by JTQ

Pity it has come to this, as I said earlier its location made a lovely and unique camping experience.

That it is to become a primary school greatly surprises us. It location is fraught with dangers from the water and busy road. Its small size and location IMO present insurmountable difficulties in providing both a viable school with any outside space and pick up and drop down facilities for mothers. It is not like primary aged children can simply alight or be collected from a vehicle, the mothers [carers] need to take them to the classroom, so proper large scale parking is needed. Don’t we know with the local primary school!

I have to also comment that I was not aware of a direct local housing conurbation to feed a primary school, the nearby apartments I feel would have a more mature occupancy, simply to afford them.

I read they are seeking alternatives but what they are losing simply has no real alternative to the package it offered, view, water taxi, pub, public transport, cycleways, walk ways, convenience store etc.

Big loss.

Doing more research into this and reading the local councils education plan

It shows a need for more primary places by 2016 and talks about moving St Georges school to a larger location on harbourside.

I agree that it does seem odd that they have earmarked the site for building a school for primary aged children. Hopefully the Club are successful in getting another site with good transport communications in Bristol. Baltic wharf is in a lovely position but it is quite small and always fully booked. This has caused some negative posts on the CC forum as people are saying that as they can never get in they don't care what happens to the site!! Strange sort of attitude.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

• 3 weeks later...

Bristol City Council have just released details of the new school to be built on the Baltic Wharf Caravan Club site. Apparently the CC site is relocating.

Full details in the Bristol Evening Post on Tuesday 25th of March.

Edited for spellings!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Thanks, several of us were interested when it was first announced. ..I believe the site was never owned but leased by the people that used to have a factory there.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Great site will be sadly missed it has a unique location and in my humble opinion is the best site in the network very hard to book but you have to play the caravan club game to get a booking though ?

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

What a waste of a prime site, even if the council didn't want a caravan site they could have done something more fitting than plonking a school on it

I suspect the people of Bristol would prefer a school to a caravan site.

We've always fancied a few days at the site but it has always been fully booked when we've had an opportunity. It does seem a shame that we're losing city sites - Crystal Palace is still scheduled to go in 2018.

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2

What a waste of a prime site, even if the council didn't want a caravan site they could have done something more fitting than plonking a school on it

Trouble is a new school is needed for the area to satisfy local demand for school places and this is one of only a few bits of council owned land that are left after large areas of council land were sold off for luxury flats/offices etc all around the docks area.

• 4 weeks later...

There is an "e" petition up and running to try and sway Bristol City Council to reconsider the closure of this jewel in the CC's sites network. You may want add your support.

http://epetitions. bristol. gov. uk/epetition_core/community/petition/2706

Bristol City Council have given notice to the Caravan Club to vacate the Baltic Wharf site. This is, to us, the perfect campsite, right on the river with a short walk or ferry ride in to this very interesting, historic and vibrant City.

The Council made the decision behind closed doors and the local traders have only just got to know about it. Bristol Ferries and SS Britannia particularly are very worried about the effect on their businesses.

So - if you agree that it shouldn't be closed please sign this petition and send it on to other forums you belong to and to friends who'll sign.

We have to get up to 3500 signatures before the council are required to open the discussion to the public. This morning we had 616 so we have a way to go yet.

Some more links about the campaign below

Link to BBC radio interview: bit. ly/1tD5a3F

Twitter: @SaveBristolCamp

Thanks

Steph and John

As I understand it, they are building a new school on the site, more important than relocating a caravan site, in my opinion of course, don't really see the problem.

Phil,

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

I have signed but the present site is small and nearly always full and difficult to get to.

Perhaps a better site might be found which can accommodate more vans. i

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

Within a short distance there are a number of brown field sites suitable for building a school.

Baltic wharf is well used and loved by many caravaners.

Penman

Petition signed and was aware of the proposed closure, although, like others, never lucky enough to get a pitch!