Towing In Strong Winds

coolrunner

Likewise. I would never tow in the wind. Now if this current weather is part of climate change and becomes the norm, will our towing days be over?

Hyundai Santa Fe CRD auto + Burstner Belcanto 525 TL

http://www. oldagetraveller. net/

we enjoy caravanning as we all do but if its windy, we cancel and go another day. Wouldn't be worth the worry.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

There is no such thing as climate change !! It's just the earth doing it's thing. We should be more worried about local pollution from bonfires and wood burners.

Saw a lorry nearly go over on the M5 this afternoon - was glad I didn't have the van on the back !!

If you want to know if its fit to tow in the winds that are outside, ask yourself this. ....Would you willingly bolt on 2 x 12 foot by 8 foot sheets of ply on either side of your car and drive around town like that. That's about the same as your van feels in the wind. Someone once told me that a side wind of 70mph will flip a van. Days like today, we will see 100mph wind gusts. Don't forget that when you drive in the wind, you will have to set up and sleep in your little tin box in the same conditions. Caravanning is supposed to be fun, not dangerous. Leave it at home and live to fight another day.

Im back to motorhoming with a scooter on the back again.

There is no such thing as climate change !! It's just the earth doing it's thing. We should be more worried about local pollution from bonfires and wood burners.

Saw a lorry nearly go over on the M5 this afternoon - was glad I didn't have the van on the back !!

I think "the earth doing it's thing" IS climate change!

Wouldn't think of towing in the sort of gales we have had recently.

I was driving in the motorhome yesterday which is obviously a lot more stable than a caravan, but despite the strong winds, it was not bad at all, but that said, I was heading south into the wind, with very little in the way of cross winds. The mpg proved it - down to 19. 2 over 80 miles instead of the usual 28!

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

climate change - yes, is happening - but how much of it is man-made, is a different question!

i towed in strong winds a few years back - we had to come home and couldn't leave the 'van. - but taking time, it was Ok.

Al.

I guess the last brilliant summer was part of climate change and if so bring it on! :D Let it rain all it wants in the winter as long as we have a good summer. :D

I had to tow to Wales in gales a couple of years ago. We were fine; yes, the fuel consumption fell and you could feel the van (smaller than our current one) moving around, but it never felt unsafe. Listen out for the traffic and weather news - when they start to issue warnings about high-sided vehicles - that's now you and you should pull over and wait for it to abate.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

With gusts recorded at over 100mph in parts of the UK yesterday and occasional force 12 hurricanes recorded on the south coast. I wouldn’t even want to be sitting in a caravan pitched up on an exposed site let alone try to tow it.

If it’s windy I stay put. I would no more consider towing on the road in adverse conditions than I would consider putting to sea during a storm, even in a well found boat. :rolleyes:

Edited by WindlePoones

Twin Axle Fleetwood Heritage 640 EST - pulled by a dual fuel, (Petrol/LPG) BMW 528i Auto

At the end of last year we had to tow after a weekend break. Very very frightening we were driving at 30mph on the M62 and the van was moving side to side so much very little traffic past us. I think if my car was anything smaller than a disco it would have took us over. Next time would pay extra and pick the van up another day.

Swift Freestyle S6 TD Pulled by a Land Rover Discovery 3 or SWMBO's Freelander 2.

Sometimes you have no choice but to tow in windy conditions. However the current conditions are unprecedented & I doubt there was anyone towing in Wales or the west side of the country yesterday. In the end it's down to the individual to assess the risk

Les.
2. 0ltr 150TDCi TITANIUM X KUGA + 2016 Elddis Crusader Mistral ( Misty )

" I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong "

Climate change must be good, if it was much colder just think all that rain would have been snow !

Honda CRV 2009 & Bailey Pageant Bordeaux S7, 2008

Driving up and down the M74 M6 M61 and M62 regularly I have driven in gale force and above in the exposed sections often in my 5 decades of driving .

On one memorable trip recently there were HGVs overturned all the way to Leeds.

Overturned on the lay bys overturned into the fields lifting nearside/offside wheels 3 feet in the air.

I was using a Citroen Picasso 7 seater which was rubbish in the wind compared to my Ford Galaxy.

The Galaxy is rock steady in gale force winds!!

Note if you did not drive in winter gales in Scotland you would not get out much :D.

As for towing in winds I would not be doing it!!!

I have towed stock cars and race cars in high winds BUT that's a whole different ball game from towing a plastic garage behind I meant caravan :)

I towed the van upto Scotland the day after boxing day. very high winds but just reduced speed as appropriate. If it got too windy then we would have stopped. We did stop at Teebay for breakfast, it was blowing a gale/raining and we had a job to walk across the car park.

in general the van and car were stable, but it was a tiring drive constantly watching the vehicles and trees etc ahead to judge what the winds were doing. That was the twin axle. The single axle we have is a lot less stable and I dred to think what that would have been like in those winds.

had gale force winds on the site in Scotland with van rocking from side to side, then on 4th Jan when we came home - absolute calm !!

Well we were off to South Devon tomorrow, but have cancelled, as I hate towing in high winds. So the management has decided it will be a hotel instead!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

If it blows my truck at over 40 tons then it's too windy for the van. Even at 15 tons empty it's a bum clencher ride.

H.

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink:

The winds we had around here yesterday, made me think twice about going out in the car never mind with the van on the back.

Just a point of interest, wood burners (wood taken from a sustainable woodland) is very environmentally friendly. No pollution and ash excellent for the veggie patch.

I always change plans than risk everything towing when this bad.

The winds we had around here yesterday, made me think twice about going out in the car never mind with the van on the back.

I thought the same :)

I spent today fixing the greenhouse after a searching for the polycarbonate sheeting :(

I let out the Yorkshire war cry when I had to buy some more. ...HOW MUCH :lol:

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

What sort of wind speed is too much for towing? Obviously yesterday was crazy and I wouldn't have towed. I'm meant to be going away on Saturday and the wind is forecast to be 24mph. Is that ok?

I would at that forecast, I'm happy to 35, 40 if not an exposed route.