New Van Owner

spiderman

Hi guys. I need some help here if possible.

I have just purchased an Elddis Crusader Tornado 2011 spec is here

http://www. downshirecaravans. com/pages/?title=2011_elddis_crusader_tornado_used_4_berth_caravan

I have got no idea what sort of car that I need to tow it. I'm guessing 4x4 but is there anything more economical?

How do you go about choosing a car that is not too over or under powered?

Sorry about these basic questions bit I got to start somewhere :)

Thanks

You could do worse than look at tbe top of the page and click on the Advice section and then Towing a caravan.

You wull need to know the MTPLM of the caravan which is recommended not to exceed 85% of the kerbweight of the tow car and must not exceed the towing limit of the car declared on the car's V5.

Also look at www. whatowcar. com

How will you get the 'van home?

Oh and :welcome:

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Tks gellyneck - was relying on my memory!

Graham

Thanks Guys, I'll take a look

The 'van is local to me and in storage. It's not the one in the link I posted but is the same. I've purchased it from my mum because she needs the money as my dad has just passed away :(

Dad loved caravanning, I've owned various camper vans before but never a caravan. Learning curve!

Sorry about your father but I'm sure you will enjoy it as much as he did!

Graham

Rather than trust info from web sites and tow match sites (often crazily wrong) I'd say it was worthwhile, as the van is local, popping down and checking the weight plate. It's usually near the door. On it will be a MIRO (basically what the van weighs empty but with some essential kit) and an MTPLM (the most the van is allowed to weigh when loaded.) The MTPLM is the important one: if you could post that on here I guarantee you will get plenty of suggestions as we all nominate our favourite tow cars.

It's nice that the van stays in the family and I hope you get a lot of fun out of it, sure you will. Give us that MTPLM and we'll get going.

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

Welcome, sorry to hear your sad news. Regarding towing your caravan it's all down to personal preference mate, some folks like 4x4's and others like to tow with a car of some kind.

There are pro's and cons for both and only you can decide on which best suits your unique circumstances.

Defender 90  cruising along with a Coachman Laser 640/4.  :)

I like 4 x 4's as we use CLs all year round and a four wheel drive is often handy for pulling off soggy sites: plenty of them these days. As Scotsstag says it is personal preference: more important is to get a car with sufficient kerb weight and power to pull your van safely and comfortably.

Your van is 1445 MTPLM so going on the Caravan Club's recommendation of 85%, you want a tow car with a min of 1700 kgs kerbweight. Don't trust car salesmen, you'll get better advice from members here so do double check here (if you want to) before purchasing.

Not wanting to push the early Sorentos, but mine is not 4x4 but can be 'switched' into 4x4 mode - which I've only ever done once.

But as a 4x4 type it is an excellent towcar with spare pulling capacity. But there are lots of others out there and you will have other criteria such as driving to work, fuel consumption, taking family, budget etc.

Only you can truly decide.

Graham

Is the 1618 off the plate? Wispman has it as 1445, quite a difference. I've tried using towcarmatch, what towcar, both clubs (USELESS) tow matching calculators, and have come to the conclusion that for caravans you need to check the plate and for cars put em on a weighbridge. So much wrong information out there.

(Please note, NOT having a go at Wispman.)

Spiderman

Firstly condolences on your sad news.

I still think that whattowcar gives you a good starting point for matching a car and caravan.

As you'll see there are differing opinions (and that doesn't mean they are wrong!).

Once you've ran the match you then need to fine tune to your needs \ aspirations.

To "confirm" the on paper weights wispy has actually quoted the MIRO @ 1445 and you've noticed the MTPLM is 1618.

You'll also want to think about the noseweight available on the car options and how this can be achieved with your caravan choice.

Suggest you run the rough match on options on the named website and then ask for members on here for further opinions \ advice. Note, you will receive varying opinions as these will be based on differing needs \ aspirations.

Cheers

Hi Spiderman,

Out of interest, what did your parents tow the caravan with? That might give you a good starting point.

4x4 (or SUV) are genrally good in terms of weight and pulling the van out of wet grassy places but you lose out on fuel consumption and driving fun and they are usually more expensive to buy (age for age). There are definitely heavy "normal" cars out there that would do the job and most of them are quite deisirable!

I got 1445kgs from OP's link, but that was kerb weight. Looking at CT's own list of specs I find the 2010 Tornado as 1650 so OP' sfigure must be about right. That's a fairly heavy van and implies a Towcar kerbweight of about 1940 kgs. I'm not sure you can find a saloon car of that weight.

Maybe SUV or 4x4 is the route but would like to know what your father used to tow it?

Graham

As an example our Lunar has an MTPLM of 1680 and we pull it with a Hyundai Santa Fe at c86%.

Not suggesting you go for this car, we think it's great, but gives you an indication of the size \ weight of car you'd be looking at.

many estates / saloon / people carriers will pull this fine - there's no need for a 4x4 "because you have a caravan"

I've been there, had the 4x4 - infact, a '56 plate Sorento - terrible MPG (around 30 without the 'van - 24 with) - terrible reliability (new steering rack at 50k and new gearbox at 58k) and i had owned it from new!

that being said, i've not yet towed with my new car (been a motorhomer for 2 years) but don't see any issues.

just take your time if you're new to it all - what did your folks tow with? - can you not borrow that for the time being?

Al.

many estates / saloon / people carriers will pull this fine - there's no need for a 4x4 "because you have a caravan"

I've been there, had the 4x4 - infact, a '56 plate Sorento - terrible MPG (around 30 without the 'van - 24 with) - terrible reliability (new steering rack at 50k and new gearbox at 58k) and i had owned it from new!

that being said, i've not yet towed with my new car (been a motorhomer for 2 years) but don't see any issues.

just take your time if you're new to it all - what did your folks tow with? - can you not borrow that for the time being?

Nobody has said there is need for a 4x4 "because you have a caravan", just as many others have "been there" and are very happy with their 4x4's.

Defender 90  cruising along with a Coachman Laser 640/4.  :)

Nobody has said there is need for a 4x4 "because you have a caravan", just as many others have "been there" and are very happy with their 4x4's.

again, I've ben there too - but if you read the 1st page, even the OP says he's maybe better off with a 4x4. - my statement was, there is no need for a 4x4 because you have a caravan!

Al.

Perhaps ADG might help with some suggestions of estates/saloons/people carriers that are heavy enough to safely tow this van ?

Land Rover is now back towing.