Wind!

paulthomas

I hope no-one is towing or pitched up around here (Cheshire) at the moment. The strength of the wind is phenomenal.

Three trees blown down on the A34 on my way home. One unlucky Audi driver with smashed windscreen and wing mirror had a lucky escape,just alongside Capesthorne Hall,when large branches struck his car.

Sitting at home now and have heard 4 emergency vehicle sirens in the last 5 minutes.

Take it easy one and all.

We had extreme gusts earlier possibly 80s according to reports on local news, spilt my coffee in the van it was wobbling around so much, had to stick to "small ships wets" this afternoon - sailors will understand

I think if I had booked a site for today I would have cancelled it for today at least. I am close to you Paulthomas and can confirm the wind is horrendous with the trees in our back garden waving about like a flag but the house and the van on the drive seem to be standing up well to it. We travelled on the A34 past Capesthorne a few days ago when we visited our daughter in Stoke on Trent.

2004 Citroen C5 2. 0ltr diesel auto VTR and 2011 Bailey Orion 430/4

Do you think I should put my handbrake on the van yet?

:D

H.

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink:

Well we were off on Friday to South Devon, but looking at the wind I think we will be cancelling as I hate towing in high winds!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

I'm really cross with myself. Original plan was to stay at Llandudno area and then get to Holyhead for a trip on Ulysees to Dublin - it would have been fantastic in these seas, but, due to the £1 offer at Dover-Calais, I re-arranged the plan, so have stuck to it and am currently in Notts in the 'van, en route to Dover. That said, perched on the hill top at Bron Y Wendon might not have been all that safe. The journey down was not too bad at all, considering.

It's very windy here, but I suspect nowhere near as bad as the North West and Wales. Had to turn the telly up to cover the wind noise!

Hope everyone stays safe.

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Haha Paul, I will just leave the chocks there for now ;)

H.

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink:

"small ships wets" this afternoon - sailors will understand

Sippers shippers, if at sea the goffers would be pounding the f'csle. All hands below decks, hold on to your dinner,

When on ex northern wedding in the North Sea in hurricane Frederick we lost an anchor, the accommodation ladder, the Gemini dinghy and 2 danbouys not to mention both SeaCat covers, Hermes was holed, Ardent (RIP) had the bridge windows fail flooding the captains, XO's and several officers cabins (lol) the knock on effect meant several junior rates lost their bunk.

Exercise was called off, defence stations cancelled so had a practice for channel night prior to entering zgothenburg where we spent all our 6 wks savings in 2 nights !!!

Its really bad here too.

The local weather station has issued a weather warning, saying if you're american go to the storm shelter straight away, if you're british you'll need your wellies when you take the dog out.

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

KontikiKid - I was telling my wife (over supper tonight) your ferry hobby so expected you to be oop here int North at Heysham or Stranraer.

Imagine my horror to find you've chickened off and are heading to Dover instead!

Here in Cumbria, tis a little bit breezy and the top of my incinerator bin has been blown off.

Somehow, we'll manage!

But we feel so lucky and our thoughts are with those thousands of people with flooded homes looking at a very difficult next 12 months.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Its really bad here too.

The local weather station has issued a weather warning, saying if you're american go to the storm shelter straight away, if you're british you'll need your wellies when you take the dog out.

In Cheshire wellies are for wimps. :) Edited by paulthomas

I had pre booked the Dover stuff. Had I known this was coming, I assure you I would be aboard the mighty Ulysses - she marches on regardless Holyhead to Dublin .

A close friend has just told me "you are mad Russell, totally mad". I can't help it if I don't get sea sick!

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Leave Paul's willies alone - they're lovely as they are!

Graham

I pad predictive text. .....honest!

Hehehehe !!

Just looked outside and wind is picking up. Its gone from "a bit breezy" to "quite breezy".

We don't do Storm Force 9 or Severe Storm 10.

We go up to 11 - like Spinal Tap!

Graham

It's rough here in Blackpool. I've not known wind like this for a few years. Driving home from work on the M55 the wind blew me from lane 2 into lane 3, thank god nobody was overtaking me. I was sat behind a lorry because I didn't dare overtake it, it's wheels were lifting off the ground. Now have at least 9 fence panels blown out in the garden, suspect more will be gone by the morning. Hope the caravans OK in storage.

<p>2007 Sterling Cruach Cuillin & 2016 Volvo XC60 SE D4 190

Hehehehe !!

Just looked outside and wind is picking up. Its gone from "a bit breezy" to "quite breezy".

We don't do Storm Force 9 or Severe Storm 10.

We go up to 11 - like Spinal Tap!

We North Westerners are experiencing a slight draught.

We go up to SF 12. ....so there!

Its shaking the caravan a lot on the drive, I've put the car at the side of it but it hasn't done much to help.

I've closed the curtains now so I can't see it ;)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Sippers shippers, if at sea the goffers would be pounding the f'csle. All hands below decks, hold on to your dinner,

When on ex northern wedding in the North Sea in hurricane Frederick we lost an anchor, the accommodation ladder, the Gemini dinghy and 2 danbouys not to mention both SeaCat covers, Hermes was holed, Ardent (RIP) had the bridge windows fail flooding the captains, XO's and several officers cabins (lol) the knock on effect meant several junior rates lost their bunk.

Exercise was called off, defence stations cancelled so had a practice for channel night prior to entering zgothenburg where we spent all our 6 wks savings in 2 nights !!!

Had a similar one up north on exercise in a hurricane, Intrepid had a boiler put out from a wave down the funnel and lost a radar, on the ambuscade we had cracks all round the signal deck letting water in, macgregor hatches leaking, it ripped the rad point off - amazing to see 1/4 inch steel ripped by sea, too rough to work - hands to drinking stations! KontikiKid would've loved it!

we are going to Patterdale Hall CL in the lakes Tuesday. the forcast is better for next week. we live in Blackpool my husband is a roofer and our phone has never stopped ringing by people with damage done by the high winds. he is semi retired now as he is 66 and climbing on roofs is a younger mans job. he feels guilty about going and letting people down but I want us to enjoy our caravan as much as possible now. we have just purchased a new pursuit should take delivery in march. cant wait. wont be taking our mobiles with us though.

Hi just arrived at our seasonal pitch must have been very windy in North Yorkshire. The caravan is turned 3 steadies hanging in mid air. Our keter outside store roof off and doors broken. Contents all over. Glad I missed it

Lunar Delta RS, Ford Explorer. Ford Ranger