How To Get Scratches Out Of Plastic .

Scoobz

Hi, just got my new tug on Friday . Took my son to school this morning and while he was getting out of the car his sports bag caught the dash,causing a scratch about 5 inches long. Anybody know how I can get it out,or is it going to be a costly job. Cheers Scoobz.

Its the depth of the scratch that decides whether or not it can be polished out!

Most polishes will deal with "hazing" type scratches (http://www. theguardian. com/technology/askjack/2008/may/08/satnavorgp)

but deep scratches mean replacement.

You might want to consider the carbon fibre look alike stick on stuff if the scratch is too deep. You will have to do it all to match but it will look really swish. ..Peter

Peter and Sandy pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 565 with

2016 Ford Kuga 2. 0. 180 ps. Titanium Nav.

Retired and loving it.

I took a chunk out of the plastic trim on the door leaving a hole.

A smart repairer who does interior trim came to me and sorted it for I think £50. Couldn't see where he had done it.

So no need to replace plastic trim if damaged.

Poolebob

Edited by poolebob

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry:

if its only a light scratch try a heat gun but be careful might need to heat it up then leave it before heating up again

I fix model plastic cars as a sort of hobby and to just purchase all of the stuff needed to perform a smart repair would cost as much as a smart repair to be performed by a professional but with guaranteed results. I would avoid any form of heat unless you really know what you are doing, it's the fastest way to destroy plastic forms. :D

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

A picture would let me give you a professional opinion, I teach Smart Repair.

hi screenman, how do you upload picture. Sorry not very Computer savvy. Cheers Scoobz

It's a light scratch on the passengers side of the dash board.

hi screenman, how do you upload picture. Sorry not very Computer savvy. Cheers Scoobz

It's a light scratch on the passengers side of the dash board.

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/89466-posting-pictures/?hl=%2Bposting+%2Bpictures

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Just ignore the scratch, it's only the first of many and won't affect any trade in price to any great degree.

Take the money you would have spent on a repair, or replacement and go have a good meal instead.

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

Thanks wunny, I think you might be right, I've never had so many cups of teas since my son done the scratch.

So let us start again. What sort of car, hard plastic or soft vynil, textured with a regular pattern or leather style, colour. Now before I started a repair I would need to find the answers to those questions.

Now position has another factor, can I get my spray cans far enough away from the damage or will the windscreen be in the way.

If you can figure out a way of getting a picture up I can tell you if it is doable or not.

I would not live with it if there was a way of having it repaired for a few quid.