£25K And Which To Gamble On?

silverfoxapparently

Layout - end bedroom, front dinette.

Licence held for trailer and big motorhome.

Have shogun 4x4.

New caravan- 6yr warranty, typical british potential warranty issues, paying 20% of the price in vat.

Used 10yr old tag axle motorhome- 1yr warranty, typical potential age problems, possible to get a good deal.

I know you can drag your van and use the car, and take MH to beaches, etc and that age old argument. All sides of the discussion are positive and negative.

But, it still remains as itemised?

Whats your bet on?

In a few years the vehicle starts to age and become less reliable cheaper to change a tow car for a newer model against replacing a MH for a newer model .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Depending on your travel plans, my parents found that dragging the Hymer over on the ferry for an MOT was an expensive pain, when they changed to caravan it was far cheaper to whizz back over in the car, stop with family for a week then go back to wherever the caravan was sited.

Buy British new and be proud to pay the tax, keeps folk in work, but more importantly I have transferred my cash ISA into a stocks and shares ISA and need the ecconamy to keep rocking and rolling along :-)

Selfish me? Yep

Isn't it sad that £25000 on a new caravan doesn't guarantee peace of mind.

Herein lies the problem!

Im as confident about a new caravan as a used motorhome, or even a used caravan!!!!

The only real appeal of a new caravan is the box fresh feel, the hope I can maintain it as best as I can to prevent problems and the long warranty.

Ignoring the "age old argument" also consider the residual value of both after a couple, or more, years.

In a few years the vehicle starts to age and become less reliable cheaper to change a tow car for a newer model against replacing a MH for a newer model .

Dave

Another good point.

These are the more advanced thoughts that im after. :)

Hey Dave

Is he having a pop at our age?

"Advanced thoughts", cheeky blighter! :angry::P

As per subsequent posts one of the key questions is reliability of towcar \ caravan and motorhome.

Given the motorhome is coming with 12 month warranty there could be worry free holidaying with minimal depreciation during this timeframe. Pull the caravan off the forecourt and there's a significant "loss" but I do take your point on replacement cost of the towcar. Would repair costs to the motorhome be more or less than this depreciation?

If anybody knows the answer can you give me 6 numbers less than 50 before Saturday! :)

Herein lies the problem!

Im as confident about a new caravan as a used motorhome, or even a used caravan!!!!

The only real appeal of a new caravan is the box fresh feel, the hope I can maintain it as best as I can to prevent problems and the long warranty.

Following your thread with interest on MH Facts ;) .

We've gone from a 9 month old Lunar delta Ti to a 6 year old Kontiki tag (2008). Lost the Ale heating but other than that, MH quality seems so much tighter and secure but do take your points on damp on an old MH.

Edited by Pebble

2019 Adria Adora Thames

caravan and tow car for me every time

(motor home), once you set up then you decide to go off for the day, got to pack up everything then unpack when back

(motor home & smart car towed behind) 2 x mot, 2 x tax, 2 x insurance, 2 x repair costs

(caravan & towcar) park up, set up, then if you need to go out for the day then just jump in the car and off you go :)

phil

(motor home), once you set up then you decide to go off for the day, got to pack up everything then unpack when back

(motor home & smart car towed behind) 2 x mot, 2 x tax, 2 x insurance, 2 x repair costs

(caravan & towcar) park up, set up, then if you need to go out for the day then just jump in the car and off you go :)

phil

That's me too. I like to go off with the dog walking, come back, wife goes off to shops etc, caravan there on site as a base. If I toured around esp. abroad then I guess I'd go for a MH. This one really is personal preference, no right or wrong answer. EXCEPT, what is this madness of a big MH towing a little car? If you're going to tow get a caravan. The whole point of a MH is surely to jump in and go with NO towing.

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

MH - positives - can just up sticks and go, with far less 'planning that a van requires'. No double depreciation (car and van). Negatives - get to site, but if want to go out for the day, need to pack up every day. Also, limited to places where you can park a MH in. May need to buy a small run around car to drag behind you.

Van - positives - nice shiny new van for £25k. Plenty of space. Peace of mind

Negatives - prob get teething issues, big depreciation potentially, if spending 25k on van would you need to change your towcar? (Ie one of the new slide out vans which weighs up to 2tonnes)

A dilemma I think about occasionally. Don't envy your choices! Hope the comments above help

Edited by milkymarsh

We took the plunge a month ago and part exchanged our 2012 Santa Fe and 2013 Lunar Delta Ti for a 2008 Swift Kontiki. Everything that's already been said about the pros and cons of each is very true but it's down to individual choice. When we get to a site, and this also applied to the car/'van combo, we very rarely stay for more than 5 days in any one place. When we're pitched up with regardless of what we're in, we tend not to leave the site other than walking the dog. With the MH, it's our intention to walk more if we do really want to get off-site or use public transport, taxi (maybe) or even hire a small car for a day. Many of the larger or local to site car hire companies will drop off and pick up at a site which is very handy.

Time will tell if we've made the right move but deep down, even when owning the 'van, we were always drawn to a MH. Hard to explain why, just one of those gut feelings ;) .

2019 Adria Adora Thames

Having had a caravan for 8 yrs we thought that we would try a motorhome,Kept it for 3yrs then reverted back to a van.

The wife loved being able to jump in the car to do her shopping plus sightseeing is much easier in the car.

Spent a fortune on taxis with the m/h. The only plus we could find was setting / packing up with the m/h but to us thats

part of the fun of camping.

Each to his own though & thank god we are all different. which ever you choose ENJOY. ;):D :D

van Bessacar 625 towed by Mercedes M class 3. 2 cdi.

we do 6mths at home (winter) 6mths touring (summer)

Retired & loving it.--------- :D Adventure before Dementia. :P

phil

That's what I found with my MHs. 80k Autotrail Chieftain and car trailer and car . Then a larger 4x4 to tow my other trailers.

Suited me to go back to a caravan but it's down to choice what suits your type of touring . But fuel is a major point also moving a 3. 5T MH against a tow vehicle with costs today.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

The word is touring, if you want to travel hundreds of miles and just stop on site what is the point. We tour, we park the van and go off and see what we have travelled to, we then move on and discover what is at the next port of call.

I have had motorhomes and always towed a car, buses usually take you to the centre of a town when the best things to see are out of town.

Mainly my touring is abroad, camp sites are in the sticks buses are usually none existent, if you want to walk or cycle buy a motorhome, I am old, miles of walking are no longer my thing, went to London last year, bus and tube no change out of £50, do not say get an oyster card as will not do it again and do not live in the UK anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had this dilemma for the past 12 months and I am edging towards a largish MH and 2 bikes on the back. But keep the facility to tow a small car when the need arises.

I find with a MH you have more options to stay at different places and need less planning where you can go. a MH does have drawbacks, but so does a caravan.

Myself and my wife took up cycling last year and both bought electric assist bikes. When we have been out on them last year we went to places we would never go on foot as it was too far to walk and in a car we would have just driven past it too fast. Got panniers on the bike and was are set for a full days traveling. (And I lost two stone) But put it back on in the winter. ....

2011 Nissan Navara Tekna Auto 2. 5 with a 2011 Elddis Super Sirocco behind it

I have had this dilemma for the past 12 months and I am edging towards a largish MH and 2 bikes on the back. But keep the facility to tow a small car when the need arises.

I find with a MH you have more options to stay at different places and need less planning where you can go. a MH does have drawbacks, but so does a caravan.

Myself and my wife took up cycling last year and both bought electric assist bikes. When we have been out on them last year we went to places we would never go on foot as it was too far to walk and in a car we would have just driven past it too fast. Got panniers on the bike and was are set for a full days traveling. (And I lost two stone) But put it back on in the winter. ....

Go for it :D .

We've sold our 2013 Delta Ti t/a and bought a 2008 Swift Kontiki for exactly the reasons you've mentioned. Not regretting it one bit. Should have done it a few years ago but finances didn't permit then.

Happy days :) .

2019 Adria Adora Thames

. ... for what it's worth . .... my twopenneth . ....

. ... is for a Tow and van . .....

. .... but . ... when we retire . .... thoughts maybe on a MH . ...

Cheers

Pete

Mine : Land Rover Defender 90, big, black and shiney.
Polly's : Land Rover Discovery Sport, HSE in Scotia Grey . .......
Towing : A 2011 Coachman Pastiche 545, on the driveway . ....... and now a CT Ninja, too.

I think as said good and bad points for both,cheaper ferries with M/H, you can just stop in a town or village and park up and of course it is quicker to move on, if you only want to stay any where for a short time,but with our caravan as said we can leave the caravan and go off for the day in the car,we have friends who went down to the south of France and did not see many towns as it was to far to cycle from the campsites. In our 70's now never can tell by the 80/s it might be easier with a M/H.