Camping In The Forest

Hi all,

Has anyone out there had experience of "Camping in the Forest" sites?

Are they on a par with C&CC sites, with whom they seem to be associated?

In particular, I'm thinking about their Postern Hill site, near Marlborough in May/June.

TIA, John

Hello johnaldo

We use this site oftern to try out new thing,s ( an wing,s etc) not far for us,

You will find the walk back from town up the hill a bit of a climb,,,

Take your bikes some very nice rides around the forest.

Joe.

There are a total of 17 "Camping in the Forest" sites across the UK but only 2 are located in Scotland, so my experience of them is limited and I have no knowledge of the one at Postern Hill. The ones in Scotland are quite similar to C&CC sites and of course they welcome tent campers as well as caravanners. The one thing I dislike about "Camping in the Forest" sites is that they require people to pay the full cost of their booking at the time of booking. That doesn't bother me too much, since I never book more than a few days ahead, but it might be a disincentive for people who book a long time in advance.

We fight not for glory, nor for wealth nor honours . ..

but only and alone we fight for freedom,

which no good man surrenders but with his life.

The one thing I dislike about "Camping in the Forest" sites is that they require people to pay the full cost of their booking at the time of booking.

That doesn't seem to be the case Highlandman . .. looks to be 25%, like the C&CC. (T&Cs)

John

OK Johnaldo - I stand corrected.

It's a good few years since I stayed on a Camping in the Forest site and my information may well be out of date.

We fight not for glory, nor for wealth nor honours . ..

but only and alone we fight for freedom,

which no good man surrenders but with his life.

Although this is a local site for me its still one we visit regularly. Please don't expect a swish toilet block, the facilities are a bit basic, but this reflected in the prices. One of the main attractions is stepping out of your door straight into the forest, which is full of pleasant walks. Walking into to town isn't far but best catch the bus back as its a steep climb. The only time we didn't like visiting Postern hill was during a Bank holiday and it was full of new campers with their £100 camping kits, very loud voices and suicidal kids on bikes.

Quality valeting of caravans and motorhomes www. motorhomevalet. co. uk

Can anyone comment on what the actual site is like?

I know there's a clue in the name "Camping in the Forest" . .. but is it one of these really closed-in, under the trees, places like Kendal or Coniston CC sites?

From the Google aerial view it doesn't look too bad, but not always easy to be sure.

Further comments gratefully accepted.

John

I don't know what Kendal or Coniston sites are like but Postern Hill is reasonably open space with trees dotted about but mostly around the perimeter. Why not have a look on Google maps, its quite clear where the site is. One thing that may detract for some is the proximity of the main road.

Quality valeting of caravans and motorhomes www. motorhomevalet. co. uk

We've just booked into Beddgelert in Snowdonia for Easter, the reviews look good and the area looks really nice.

Volvo XC90 D5 AWD, Lunar Ultima 615,Towing at 62%

You have a second chance at life it's called tomorrow!

The main part of the site is in a large clearing in the forest. There are some areas under trees but not many. There are no numbered pitches you simply find a suitable space and pitch up. There are ehus in some areas but not all so if you need one you have to make sure your cable will reach. Only one toilet block, no shower. Toilet block closed in the winter.

Jim

I think they open the toilet block from whit weekend.

Jim

The main part of the site is in a large clearing in the forest. There are some areas under trees but not many. There are no numbered pitches you simply find a suitable space and pitch up. There are ehus in some areas but not all so if you need one you have to make sure your cable will reach. Only one toilet block, no shower. Toilet block closed in the winter.

Jim

Thanks Jim, spot-on info, just what i was looking for.

John