No Claims Not Correct.

MonkeyMark

My wife has just renewed her insurance and has an issue that I'd like opinions on please.

Oh her renewal it showed 9 years no claims. It should be 19. They stated they cap them at 9 so won't issue a certificate for any more. My wife has had to insure with another company using 9 years and it's increased the premium by about £80 which will of course affect coming years too.

My instinct is to speak on her behalf and harass the life out of them until they issue a correct certificate and cover any costs incured when altering the new insurance.

What would you do?

Just beginning our adventure. 95% of my time on CT I use my phone. As a result correct spelling and grammer will be used sparingly. This is due to fat fingers. Please don't let it bother you.

Found this on Comparemarket: looks as though it wouldn't make any difference having 19.

What happens after five years?

Some insurers let you earn no claims discounts for up to five consecutive years - others let you build up to nine consecutive years. After this, additional years won’t see your discount increase, although it will protect the level of bonus you already have.

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

Found this on Comparemarket: looks as though it wouldn't make any difference having 19.

What happens after five years?

Some insurers let you earn no claims discounts for up to five consecutive years - others let you build up to nine consecutive years. After this, additional years wont see your discount increase, although it will protect the level of bonus you already have.

She has gone with LV who stated an £80 difference between 9 and 19 years.

Regardless of difference or not I can not see what right they have to do this.

Just beginning our adventure. 95% of my time on CT I use my phone. As a result correct spelling and grammer will be used sparingly. This is due to fat fingers. Please don't let it bother you.

Do you have your previous insurers proof of NCD?

Was this from the previous year?

If so, some insurers will accept this (and the restricted NCD from current insurer) as proof of longer no claims.

I was researching my car insurance last year and had 18 years no-claims. ....was told by everyone either 9 years or 7 years is maximum they look at now. ...even if still with original insurers.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Let us know how you get on Mark. I hope you are successful because if I can get my 45 years of no claims recognised I should be able to get my insurance for nothing. :D

We fight not for glory, nor for wealth nor honours . ..

but only and alone we fight for freedom,

which no good man surrenders but with his life.

I was under the impression that NCD did have a maximum no. of years because it becomes meaningless from an underwriters point of view whether you have 9 or 49 years NCD, you are a careful driver and that's it.

It's like the number of years you have lived in your present house for credit checks. Are they bothered whether it's 10 years or 25 years, you're obviously not a moonlight flitter.

It's interesting that LV gave different quotes for 9 and 19 years NCD. Perhaps a reverse sales pitch from an operator who has power to negotiate, and he got it wrong. All of the companies I have been with have a maximum no. of years, after that it makes no difference.

Gordon

Nissan Qashqai 1. 6 dCi (130 PS) + Avondale Rialto 390-2

It's interesting that LV gave different quotes for 9 and 19 years NCD. Perhaps a reverse sales pitch from an operator who has power to negotiate, and he got it wrong. All of the companies I have been with have a maximum no. of years, after that it makes no difference.

Had the same "issue" with LV when renewing fathers insurance online a couple of years ago.

I had a very similar situation with LV.

Initially I entered my NCD on the website and then they asked for proof. Previous insurer only quoted 5 yrs NCD.

I ended up having to track back a number of previous insurers and provided LV with the companies and policy numbers and they were then able to accept what was needed.

Hopefully you will have the documentation to be able to do that.

Regards,

Stephen

Olympus II 620-6 & Mitsubishi Shogun

Follow us on FacebookInstagram and Twitter

Going to go through the paperwork later. Some insurance companies take over 9 years into account (upto 15 I believe) though it may not make much of a difference.

For several years all my insurers have stopped at 9 yrs NCD, as far I remember

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

For several years all my insurers have stopped at 9 yrs NCD, as far I remember

I am of the same opinion. Insurance NCD stops at 9 years

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

since reaching 9 mine has always said "more than 9"

Edited by clairendave

A seemingly problem free 2010 model Adria Altea 542dk that has more than its fair share of use.

Strange I am insured with LV. On all my paperwork they work to a maximum of 9 years. Got an on line quote and the max they allowed was 9

Poolebob

Exactly. I'm with them too. Nine years, that's it

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

I was with CC last year . .. I put 11 years into their Proposal. .. the Certificate came out at 9 years!

I've now moved to Admiral and told them I have 12 years NCB. .. I've provided them with the details of the CC policy so I wait to see what they recognise.

Tempted to re-enter the Admiral proposal with 9 years rather than 12 to see what happens. .. watch this space!!

G.

P. S. Just checked and Admiral just asked if I had more than 5 years without accidents!

Edited by chapmag

Guest Benzowner

NCD has nothing to do with the premiums you pay. If you have protected NCD, for example, and you have an accident, your NCD will remain the same but your premiums will likely increase. Insurance companies give nothing away.

NCD has nothing to do with the premiums you pay. If you have protected NCD, for example, and you have an accident, your NCD will remain the same but your premiums will likely increase. Insurance companies give nothing away.

That's exactly what happened to my neighbour when his missus pranged his car!!

G.

Try getting a quote with 1 year NCD then with 9 year NCD 'cos You WILL find a difference in the premium.

It is true that some insurers may increase the premium after a claim despite a protected NCD. Some will accept the protected NCD rate when getting new quotes despite any recent claim(s).

My grand daughter had a claim settled 'knock for knock' as they decided there was not enough evidence to settle in her favour. Her car was a write off so she had to start a new policy. The same insurer accepted her protected NCD and actually reduced the premium for a similar replacement car.

Write to them asking for disclosure under the Data Protection Act. That should be a complete print out of your file. Whether the new Insurance company will accept it is another matter.

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

Guest Benzowner

Try getting a quote with 1 year NCD then with 9 year NCD 'cos You WILL find a difference in the premium.

We were discussing 9 years NCD not the difference between nil and 9 years, keep up :D

I rang my new Insurer (Admiral) to say that my previous insurer (CC) showed my NCB as 9 years when it was actually 12 years (as I'd said in my proposal).

They said no problem we recognise that some insurers stop at 9 years!

These days most car insurance companies share details across one database platform. ... so they have your history anyway!!

G.

Edited by chapmag

My wife has just renewed her insurance and has an issue that I'd like opinions on please.

Oh her renewal it showed 9 years no claims. It should be 19. They stated they cap them at 9 so won't issue a certificate for any more. My wife has had to insure with another company using 9 years and it's increased the premium by about £80 which will of course affect coming years too.

My instinct is to speak on her behalf and harass the life out of them until they issue a correct certificate and cover any costs incured when altering the new insurance.

What would you do?

As you are not the policy holder they do not have to discuss the policy with you unless you are your wife's appointee

As you are not the policy holder they do not have to discuss the policy with you unless you are your wife's appointee

I've already been given authorisation to have full access.

I've already been given authorisation to have full access.