Detachable Towbar

Halohodge

Just had a Witter detachable flanged tow bar fitted to my car and I am very pleased how it looks, you can hardly notice that it fitted when the tow ball assembly is not fitted, very neat, only bit showing is the breakaway fixing showing, the socket folds away out of site.

My question is, how secure are they against theft, does anybody know if a van has been stolen when the van and car are parked, say in a service area by removing the whole assembly from the car, I know they are lockable but I was just wondering ?.

Swift Fairway pulled by a Ford Mondeo 2. 0 Business Edition 5 door hatchback

Adventure before Dementia

Our detachable towball has to be put in upside down to engage then pull it up the right way ready for the caravan to

be attached So cannot see it being disconnected towball n all

I had a Witter fitted on my last Jeep and there was a locking keyhole to prevent theft.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

I have a witter detachable fitted on my voyager. Has a lock on it to prevent theft. Not sure how good the lock is as its never been tested. You just have to use the 'never leave your van unattended in services' rule, same as you always would.

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

I have a Witter detachable flange towbar fitted and as others have said it is locked to the receiver fitted to the car.

Personally, I think it would be easier to unhitch \ remove the caravan than to remove the towbar.

Either way we don't leave the caravan unattended at a service area.

suppose it's less nick-able than a bolt-on. - two bolts and you have the 'van and ball complete!

Al.

suppose it's less nick-able than a bolt-on. - two bolts and you have the 'van and ball complete!

The towball on a detachable is still fixed with tow bolts to the detachable head.

The towball on a detachable is still fixed with tow bolts to the detachable head.

Not on any of the detatchables I have had!

Not on any of the detatchables I have had!

My Witter flanged detachable (as per OP) has the Al-Ko towball attached to the head with two single use bolts.

Witter_horizontal_flange_detachable13649

Swan necks \ verticals, I believe, are different and have no bolt attachment.

yeah. but then what? - in the case of the Westfaila on my car, you can't see where the receiver is bolted to the bar (it's way high up in the bumper) - and then you still need to get a hitch lock off to connect it to anything else - what i meant was, flange tow ball, will easily unbolt and re-bolt to any standard flange.

Al.

what i meant was, flange tow ball, will easily unbolt and re-bolt to any standard flange.

As will the Witter towball shown in the picture above. The bolts are completely visible outside of the bumper.

As will the Witter towball shown in the picture above. The bolts are completely visible outside of the bumper.

fair comment :)

Al.

Watched a caravan programme on television this week and they tested some new Audi SUV / Estate, the tow-bar completely swung to the side and away under the car when not in use. .

Looked a neat, practical solution to me.

Although the car was about £50K. . :o

Defender 90  cruising along with a Coachman Laser 640/4.  :)

The reason I chose the flange type is because I have a Pendle cycle rack bracket bolted to the flange, very good but a bit ugly when not in use, I can now remove the whole assembly and you wouldn't know a towbar rack was fitted.

Edited by Halohodge

and how much of that was for the towbar compared to an aftermarket fit? :o

Sorry I don't understand your question, that is if it was in reply to my previous post.

Defender 90  cruising along with a Coachman Laser 640/4.  :)

There have been reports of Discovery 3/4 and Range Rover Sport detachable tow bars being stolen even though they are locked with keys - those in the know always remove them and keep in boot when not being used - there is a thriving market on ebay :angry:

A Vanner without a van due to the demands of DIY and SWMBO - 40 years was a good run though :unsure:

Now a Motorhome Learner with a Fiat Toad :o

I have no option but to remove ours as it obscures the rear number plate if left in place.

A seemingly problem free 2010 model Adria Altea 542dk that has more than its fair share of use.

The Witter flanged detachable assembly is a hefty piece of kit, very heavy, fair weight on car even before you hitch van up.

Just checked my new tow bar electrics by plugging in a trailer board and noticed there is no audible alarm going off, is this a still legal requirement and if so would plugging in the board set it off rather than the van. Fitted by a Witter approved dealer so I assume they know what there doing. Don't want to go back to them as its a few miles away if its not necessary.

the vw fit on my work van has no audible. but it does have a fault light on the dash if something isn't working

A seemingly problem free 2010 model Adria Altea 542dk that has more than its fair share of use.