Caravaning In Cold Weather

KeithBold

Hi everyone,

We are headed up to fort William, site Linnhe Lochside, for half term. Fantastic snow up there now. This is the first winter we've had the win and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips. For example is it sufficient to leave the heating

on to prevent any water freezing. And I will probably disconnect the aquaroll overnight and store it in the car. Is that necessary? It's a vey affordable way of getting a skiing trip in. We can't stretch to the half term agent prices. Any tips at all would be most welcome. Regards, . ... Keith

Keith, I'm in my caravan just now, Invercoe site in Glencoe. It's only a few miles to Fort William from here. It's not cold enough for your water to freeze up so don't worry about it. I would only be concerned if it was minus 5 and below, it's plus 2 or 3 at the moment. Leave your heating on slightly overnight to keep the temp nice inside.

There is loads of snow on the mountains here but only at a higher level.

Anton

Anton

Thanks for your reply. I'm reassured now. I just hope the wind drops for the long tow but nothing to be done but wait and see with that. I hope you enjoy your stay. ,thanks again,..Keith.

I'm getting mine ready now for a trip next week. Have heating, shower, etc Home from home. I'm on a business trip and don't fancy paying the £100 a night hotel fees.

Nice little place just on the south side of Manchester. Close to where I am working, and close to Derbyshire for a spot of R&R. All for a tenner a night inc EHU. Love it !!

Power unit at front all the time, Van behind (hopefully) some of the time unless I'm reversing then it's all the other way round . .... Or is it?

I'm getting mine ready now for a trip next week. Have heating, shower, etc Home from home. I'm on a business trip and don't fancy paying the £100 a night hotel fees.

Nice little place just on the south side of Manchester. Close to where I am working, and close to Derbyshire for a spot of R&R. All for a tenner a night inc EHU. Love it !!

Good for you ! I used mine for years when I was working, being self employed it saved on Hotel bills . When I lived in Spain and worked in London I used to stay in my Caravan in Chertsey during my business trips, . pleased I am not doing it now, I would bet the Caravan and camping club in Chertsey is under water ! anybody heard ?

Coachman Amara 500/5 pulled by Rover75 Diesel Auto.

I prefer the caravan to a hotel any day. I think my son would prefer an expensive hotel but the sure we'll be at is £20 a night on the edge of a loch. Fantastic.

How lovely to be going to Scotland.

I have read somewhere that you can raise the aquaroll off the floor (polystyrene tiles or something similar) and cover it with a padded high vis jacket which are cheaper than an insulated cover. Always fill up a water bottle at night and keep it inside for that early morning cuppa, just in case.

Enjoy!

"Mavis" 1992 Elddis Force 2 towed by 2011 Vauxhall Meriva 1. 7 CDTi - Just me and my dog

“Dogs come into our lives to teach us about love. They depart to teach us about loss. A new dog never replaces an old dog; it merely expands the heart. If you have loved many dogs, your heart is very big." Erica Jong

Off on our third trip of 2014 on Friday!

With your aquaroll, stand it on some insulation and wrap it in a coat, with the pump being encased in one of the sleeves. That will protect it enough.

Keep the heating in the caravan on low!

Now get out and enjoy!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Keith, I'm in my caravan just now, Invercoe site in Glencoe. It's only a few miles to Fort William from here. It's not cold enough for your water to freeze up so don't worry about it. I would only be concerned if it was minus 5 and below, it's plus 2 or 3 at the moment. Leave your heating on slightly overnight to keep the temp nice inside.

There is loads of snow on the mountains here but only at a higher level.

Anton

Lucky you Anton wish I was pitched beside you :angry: Would imagine the Pap of Glencoe will be covered in snow. .... Mind and tell Ian, Ian the Fireman was asking for him ?? Stayed at Invercoe one Winter when the Temp never raised above -3 ,-4 all weekend. ... Down to one outside tap to serve the whole site. Saying that I was the only occupied van with a mad ice climbers TENT next to me . .I wrapped a auld padded jacket round the gas cylinder which surprisingly worked. . Got the odd fluctuation first thing in the morning. I just kept my water in the shower cubicle but as I said this was extreme touring. .. Before you set off I always ramped up the heating a day before getting the chill out the soft furnishings and van. . Think it warms the van up a lot quicker when you arrive on site. A electric blanket is a must believe me. ...... By the way Invercoe is 15 minutes away from the Ski Runs at Glencoe Mountain Resort. Ballachulish and GlenCoe village a brisk walk from the site. .. If your a skier it is your duty pop into the Clachaig Inn a famous watering hole for awe they mad skiers and ice climbers. ... Where ever you stay . .... Enjoy. .... ;)

GAS . ..... :angry:

post-30743-0-84614300-1392202804_thumb.png

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "

We're off for a few days next week and hoping to bring the caravan to home from storage before we go to give it a bit of a warm up.

Just a bit of advice for the OP - make sure you have propane gas (red bottles) as the blue,butane, will not work in low temperatures. Also make sure you have enough of it, as you could lose electricity with all the bad weather around at the moment and the gas will take a bashing!

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

We're off for a few days next week and hoping to bring the caravan to home from storage before we go to give it a bit of a warm up.

Just a bit of advice for the OP - make sure you have propane gas (red bottles) as the blue,butane, will not work in low temperatures. Also make sure you have enough of it, as you could lose electricity with all the bad weather around at the moment and the gas will take a bashing!

The auld GAS debate. ... Sure I have been here before. .. Propane is as you is better in low temperatures but to honest has to be prolonged very low temperatures before I would consider changing. ... I lagged my Butane with a quilted jacket and worked just fine. ... Sometimes a bit of fluctuation at the cooker gas ring but cleared itself and all worked well. ....

GAS . .. :angry:

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "

We're in the Peak District at the moment, had a massive dumping of snow yesterday, but most of it's gone now due to heavy rain.

Never had no problem with anything freezing, apart from my poor fingers due to putting extra rope on the awning due to the strong gales.

All good at the mo, but I can't settle.

Hyundai Santa Fe 2. 2 Premium Auto 2010 - Sterling Eccles Moonstone 2005 - Kampa Ace Air 300 2016

You're all quite brave towing in this wind. It will need to drop a bit fir me.

You're all quite brave towing in this wind. It will need to drop a bit fir me.

Keith, returning to your original question. ..........if I think there is a chance of freezing (like advice already given) I raise the aquaroll of the ground using a couple of lengths of 2x1 timber and I have an old padded anorak that I put round it with the pipe passing up one of the sleeves and a bit of gaffer tape to keep it all in place. We have caravanned in -7C without any freeze-up.

Thanks for the tips. I was going to purchase an insulated cover but I can save £30 with an old coat.

Thanks for the tips. I was going to purchase an insulated cover but I can save £30 with an old coat.

Saving money always works for me, especially when it is something that won't get used very often! Oh yes, it always helps to make sure your waste isn't full before you settle down for the evening.

Paint a couple of toes on the wooden block and Spielberg might be chasing you for intellectual property rights!

:D:D:D

We have caravanned in snow and blizzards and only had the aquaroll freeze up once. I filled the kettle from the last working site tap and used the hot water to top up the aquaroll and thaw it out. The later vans are better at keeping the heat inside than those from the early 90's and before.

2004 Citroen C5 2. 0ltr diesel auto VTR and 2011 Bailey Orion 430/4

If you are caravanning in snow, make sure that the snow does not block up the heater or refrigerator flue or air intake.

If you are caravanning in snow, make sure that the snow does not block the heater or refrigerator flue or air intake.

Anton A82 closed at Tyndrum, ,,,,, Yippee ! Yippee !!

GAS, ,,,,, :angry:

6 hours to get home Smeeshy!!!!

Set off up the Glencoe pass road at 13:00 in worsening blizzard conditions. Reached the stopping point where busses stop for the tourist,just before the Saville cottage and had to do a U turn, road was blocked ahead. Headed back down to Ballachulish and round the coast towards Oban. Heard the road was closed at Tyndrum. Eventually abandoned the caravan with friends at Taynuilt and returned home caravan less!!!

Think I'll give up on winter caravanning as I got stuck in snow at Tyndrum at exactly this time last year.

Invercoe was beautiful as per usual.

Anton

Edited by Anton88

Anton

We are off tomorrow . .. but just to Starthclyde Park . .. so hopefully won't get snowed in there.

2018 Swift Elegance 580  towed by a 2018 Volvo XC60 D5 Power Pulse R Design