Mercedes Benz M L Lpg

sleepyfolk

Does anyone in CT land have (or have had) an lpg converted ML? Been looking at one or two older models and wondered what people's experience had been like from a maintenance, mpg and pitfalls point of view.

we have looked at both 500's and 55's in the past with a view to lpg conveting them. I know someone with a 430 that struggles to get 20's day to day let alone towing. he said we must of been mad to consider them. thing is you get a hell of a lot for your money.

My FIL had always ran mercs until getting his current range rover. never had any issues apart from a faulty valve on the roof mechanism of his sl. main dealer servcing is expensive but its usually not hard to find an independant.

the only other advice i got was from a chap on site that had gone from a newish Jeep to an older ML due to issues on the jeep, he said they did not compare at all even tho they are supposed to be the similar running gear, the Ml being better.

he was ex traffic police and seemed to know his stuff.

A seemingly problem free 2010 model Adria Altea 542dk that has more than its fair share of use.

Seemed to be quite a lot of car for the money to me as well, got rid of my clk 320 which used to do about 15mpg around here, that's why I was wondering if anyone had a 430 or 55 amg already converted to give us some idea of running costs on lpg, thanks for the info, still tempted!

Take it no-one has then?

I have never owner a Mercedes ML, with or without an LPG conversion. However my next door neighbour owned a non-LPG petrol ML for about 3 years. He doesn’t tow anything with it, but was not overly impressed by the reliability and servicing costs of the car. The killer for him was when it started to show signs of wheel arch rust, at six years old. Last year he part exchanged it for a BMW E60 525i which he said is a far better car in all respects.

Having an ML converted to LPG would make little difference to it other than the financial savings, which would easily cover the added cost of an annual gas service. The cost of a gas service varies, but you should expect around £50 to £60 per year. The cost of conversion on a six cylinder car would be around £1,100. Insurers do not add a premium for a professional LPG conversions.

My own car was converted to LPG 13 years ago in 2001, it has now covered 167,000 miles and aside from a few normal LPG service items, filters etc. , the installation is all original. The most expensive of the service items replaced was a new evaporator, that cost £215 inclusive of fitting, but that was after 9 years use.

If you want a good consensus of what to expect running an ML, try joining one of the many Mercedes forums and pose your questions there. As a prospective owner I am sure you will find lots of good advice.

Edited by WindlePoones

Twin Axle Fleetwood Heritage 640 EST - pulled by a dual fuel, (Petrol/LPG) BMW 528i Auto

this may be a stupid question but why are you after a big 55 or 430 to then convert? why not get a diesel 270?? on the old model or the 280 or 300 on W164 shape?

Shazjag, Hubby, 2 Kids, Swift Challenger 590SE 2014,

Mercedes Ml 280cdi SE Bristol

this may be a stupid question but why are you after a big 55 or 430 to then convert? why not get a diesel 270?? on the old model or the 280 or 300 on W164 shape?

Not a stupid question, had a 2. 4 quattro a6 and a clk320 as last 2 cars and just fancy a big V8 but need a standby tug for the van, the antara may be going next year and the wife wants a 3. 2 Audi TT. On the Benz forum, there seemed to be a thought that an lpg converted ml wasn't much different to a diesel in mpg (well cost wise not purely mpg numbers)

I need to get another car to keep my no claims in existence (named driver on antara) so thought I'd get the tug first, I was looking at 2001/2 facelift age 430/500 for not a lot of money or spending a wee bit more on the amg - that's just badge vanity! Quite a few already converted so seemed like a reasonable option.

I've had the w163 270 diesel and the w164 280 diesel mainly used for school runs and shopping but both having to tow a twin axle 6 birth around also.

when I purchased the 280 I still had the 270 for a couple of weeks so had a good comparison on them both. the 280 surprised me so much on the test drive I actually got out and opened the bonnet to check it was a diesel and that it wasn't petrol as its performance was a lot better than the 270.

I've had mainly v6 and v8 petrol's, from discovery's to jaguars but must admit I don't want to part with the present ML as it ticks all the boxes for me and is so comfortable.

I had a v8 discovery converted to lpg and it was the worse thing I could of done. constantly planning routes via lpg filling stations was just too inconvenient and the system had a lot of problems. within 6 months of having it converted I sold it and got a year old S type jag.

After being burnt with the lpg conversion and the souring fuel costs ive been very happy for the last 5 years with the ML's. prior to the 270 ML I had a E class estate diesel also which is probably the only other contender if I were to change cars soon.

have a look at the diesles, you may be surprised by them and not want to bother with the conversion?

Shazjag, Hubby, 2 Kids, Swift Challenger 590SE 2014,

Mercedes Ml 280cdi SE Bristol

I've had the w163 270 diesel and the w164 280 diesel mainly used for school runs and shopping but both having to tow a twin axle 6 birth around also.

when I purchased the 280 I still had the 270 for a couple of weeks so had a good comparison on them both. the 280 surprised me so much on the test drive I actually got out and opened the bonnet to check it was a diesel and that it wasn't petrol as its performance was a lot better than the 270.

I've had mainly v6 and v8 petrol's, from discovery's to jaguars but must admit I don't want to part with the present ML as it ticks all the boxes for me and is so comfortable.

I had a v8 discovery converted to lpg and it was the worse thing I could of done. constantly planning routes via lpg filling stations was just too inconvenient and the system had a lot of problems. within 6 months of having it converted I sold it and got a year old S type jag.

After being burnt with the lpg conversion and the souring fuel costs ive been very happy for the last 5 years with the ML's. prior to the 270 ML I had a E class estate diesel also which is probably the only other contender if I were to change cars soon.

have a look at the diesles, you may be surprised by them and not want to bother with the conversion?

Well that sounds like good advice, good to hear from someone with first hand experience - I should go and try one out, I think because the antara is so unbelievably uneconomical I had veered back to monster petrol engines, I will have a look at some diesels on tinternet and see what's about. Many thanks

Maybe worth a look for a V8 petrol X5 as an alternative to the Merc if you are intent on having a large V8 4X4