Ford C Max & Focus 2.0 Tdi 140Bhp V 163Bhp

dustypete

hi folks, seen a couple of cars I quite like, at the moment we have a 2010 ford mondeo 2. 0tdi 140bhp towing lunar quaser 462 1208kg fully loaded, the cars are ford c-max & ford focus estate both 2. 0tdi but not sure which to buy 140bhp or 163 bhp, owe mondeo 140 bhp copse very well but some times I feel it needs little bit more especially the long climb from the south france coast upto and over millau viaduct, there seems to be plenty of 140bhp cars about but 163bhp cars are a little more expensive and harder to find, so is it worth the effort, the question is is the 163bhp that much better than the 140bhp . ..thanks in advance

try and have a test drive of both sometimes the gearing can be high so even though you have 163 over 140 bhp you still may have to change down on long hill's or keep the rev's high enough to be at top of torque band and does the higher price warrant an extra 23 bhp.

LUNAR LEXON DS ROYAL HERCULES MOVER, 2017 Seat Alhambra 184 se lux & SSANGYONG REXTON 2. 9 RUNNING ON VEG OIL. 1982 HONDA CX500EC. YAMAHA XJ600S. 2006 FORD KA

Why not 'chip' what you have already. will be MUCH cheaper than a new car ?

Power unit at front all the time, Van behind (hopefully) some of the time unless I'm reversing then it's all the other way round . .... Or is it?

Our 140hp SMax struggled going over the Auvergne to the south of France. Our caravan however weighed 1600kg. Millau wasn't a problem ironically enough, not even when going up to the plateau on the old route past Macdonalds.

It was fine everywhere else just at the higher altitudes and climbing those long steep hills in central France. It made it but frequently had to drop right down the gearbox.

Looking at it from a realistic perspective we had train weight of over 4 tonnes and only 140 hp so it's hardly surprising. ..!

You should be ok towing 1208kg with either car, but what if you change caravan and want a heavier one?

Pc forum recommend 80 pounds feet of torque per ton, which I find is about right from personal experience.

http://www. practicalcaravan. com/advice/how-choose-towcar

I would still go for the most powerful version though as it makes towing more relaxing.

Edited by xtrailman