Weather In France

Hi anybody in France or gone through lately let me know what the weather is like we are taveling

Portsmouth to Caen next Tuesday 18 Feb are there any floods or no go areas from Caen to Bordeaux

Thanks

Saw the French news on tv at lunchtime (11th) floods from Brittany to Corsica! Could not understand the French though, my wife was translating some of it.

I would be interested in how they are coping, better than us I hope.

Try ViaMichelin for route info. I think they give weather.

Google Floods in France and see lots of hits, I see Venice is under water again.

Why does copy-paste not work?

p. s. take the water wings

Chris in Warwickshire, Elddis Odyssey 482 (2008), Mitsubishi Outlander diesel, 2017

One of my mates lives just North of Bordeaux I will ask him tonight. .

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

As soon as we have a disaster here all news from abroad ceases. A pity, because it would be interesting to see how they cope, as Chris says.

Hyundai Santa Fe CRD auto + Burstner Belcanto 525 TL

http://www. oldagetraveller. net/

. ...........

Why does copy-paste not work?

p. s. take the water wings

Probably IE 11. Suggest you try Chrome

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I was going to come back this month from via Spain Bordeaux, St Rochelle and over the channel from Caen, a French lady staying on the same site as me in Spain warned me off due to floods, her daughter lives in La Rochelle and her garden was underwater, they have the same problems we have weather wise . I couldn't get much in the way of replies from any of the Caravan sites I wished to stay with so in the end I put my Caravan in store brought the car back via Santander and will go back for the Caravan in June, return via France as per plan A

Coachman Amara 500/5 pulled by Rover75 Diesel Auto.

Try meteofrance. http://www. meteofrance. com/accueil Their equivalent of the Environment Agency gives warnings http://vigilance. meteofrance. com/ (This page updates frequently, so if you are reading this in June it won't show flooding in Finistere and three others.)

Edited by BFM

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

Friends of mine who store there caravan in Southern France have had it destroyed by flooding!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Found some information on one of the French sites for the worst affected areas. Apologies for my schoolboy translation that may not be perfect.

Gordon.

General Commentary on the present situation in the country:

For several weeks the country has been affected by heavy and lasting rain. In Brittany, a succession of disturbances has created major floods on the Vilaine river. The rains on Tuesday (11/02/14) have generated moderate increases of the water courses at the tip of Brittany. The spread of floods continues on the downstream part of the Vilaine basin where the levels are still serious.

In the Landes region, Poitou-Charentes, the Loire area, the North, Central and East-central, some slight effects have been observed following the rains at the beginning of the week but overall the situation is gradually returning to normal, but with levels that are still high on most of the rivers.

In the south-east of the country, the levels are still on the decline along water courses where it has retreated recently.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

A couple of days before sailing I recommend checking the Brittany Ferries Tweets to see if your ship will sail. They've cancelled a lot of crossings recently due to bad weather, but they should email you about this.

http://www. brittany-ferries. co. uk/news-views

Land Rover is now back towing.

Our caravan is stored near Chateauroux, and we spoke to the storage owner on Saturday and he reported that his garden was a quagmire, and the ditch at the roadside of the garden was now a roaring torrent!

Have just had this from my mate who lives just inland North of Bordeaux. .

"Bonjour mon ami,no snow as yet plenty of rain and wind and turning very cold.

With regard to your pal travelling from Caen-Bordeaux should be no problem,in fact forecast for next tuesday is light rain and sunny spells all the way down,there are rivers around here and Bordeaux on flood alert,but he should be fine,its mainly been the Brittany atlantic coast thats borne the brunt."
Hope this helps. ..as a long time caravanner he would have been aware of the possible problems. .
geoff

A couple of days before sailing I recommend checking the Brittany Ferries Tweets to see if your ship will sail. They've cancelled a lot of crossings recently due to bad weather, but they should email you about this.

http://www. brittany-ferries. co. uk/news-views

Mine was cancelled from Santander on the 1st Feb but went a day later and they both e-mailed and text me, so they did all that could be expected, I applaud the good level of service.

Coachman Amara 500/5 pulled by Rover75 Diesel Auto.

Thanks, yes I do use IE11, habit I suppose.

Chris in Warwickshire, Elddis Odyssey 482 (2008), Mitsubishi Outlander diesel, 2017

Hi thanks for all the replays this really helps as we are so looking forward to getting away for a couple of months sunny good weather hopefully not that its that bad here in North Yorkshire we have been very lucky here

Came back yesterday Caen- Portsmouth. Sea force 5-6, gusting 7. Take a pill, for seasickness. The boat was fairly steady, but Brittany are all large ships. Wind is from the west- ie, headwind until you pass Avranches.

Calvados and Manche were all soggy, but there was no standing water anywhere. It seems OK down to Bordeaux, the autoroute is largely inland. Shipbroker's post( from a friend in Bordeaux) says that it's OK there.

If you're going to buy diesel, the Total station immediately outside Ouistreham- just after the first roundabout, on the right hand síde of the róad- sells it for e1. 28, about £1. 04/litre. They take English cards, I'm told.

Tim

Hi thanks for all the replays this really helps as we are so looking forward to getting away for a couple of months sunny good weather hopefully not that its that bad here in North Yorkshire we have been very lucky here

Well my bit of North Yorkshire is getting lashed in a sleet storm. ......just had a Swift with full set of bikes and a surfboard pass me on A168. ..wonder where he was going??

geoff

Hi thanks Drummond for that update we travelled down from Nth Yorks thursday afternoon to Bicester and from Bicester to Southampton friday morning with no trouble apart from heavy rain think we hit a lull in the winds last night was a bit hairy we are at Colden Common near Eastleigh winds 80 to 90 did not sleep much but its all calm again again now just tucking into a fry up

Les

Forecast is good for tomorrow.(south coast) sunshine & light winds. :) :)

van Bessacar 625 towed by Mercedes M class 3. 2 cdi.

we do 6mths at home (winter) 6mths touring (summer)

Retired & loving it.--------- :D Adventure before Dementia. :P

If you have access to satellite look at Euronews (508 on Sky) and watch their news bulletins. You may get a surprise.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville