Jump to content

Newhaven To Dieppe Service -2015 Onwards?


Recommended Posts

Lloyds Loading List today report. ..........



Calais-Dover operator MyFerryLink is now the sole candidate in the running to operate the Dieppe-Newhaven ferry service under a new public concession to take effect on 1 January 2015.



It follows the pull-out last week of DFDS which currently operates the service on behalf of the Seine Maritime Council using the latter’s commercial name, Transmanche Ferries.



P&O Ferries and Brittany Ferries had already withdrawn their initial interest.



A single vessel, the Côte d’Albâtre, plies the route, with two daily round trips. The ferry, theCôte d’Albâtre, is held in reserve. The vessel is owned by the Council as is the port of Newhaven.



Commenting on DFDS’ decision not to proceed further with tender, the company’s VP, Shipping Division, Peder Gellert Pedersen, said: "We do not believe we will be able to satisfy the new conditions laid down by the owners of the route.


"Among other things, the conditions contain an exclusivity requirement, which means that we can’t pool our general resources, our procurement volumes, large fleet and other resources in order to benefit from economies of scale."



Doubts have been cast on the long-term future of the service due to heavy operating losses and growing public sector budgetary restraint.



It benefits from an annual subsidy from the Council of around €14 million in order to balance the books.



The Council has underlined that its decision on whether or not to continue the service will depend on consultations with potential candidates tendering for the new concession.



geoff


Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have traveled Dieppe -Newhaven and return on a few occasions and it did what it said on the tin, but there is a lot of competition out there and Newhaven is not the easiest ferry port to reach by a long way, however I don't like to see our choices being reduced, lets hope that they can reach an agreement.

Coachman Amara 500/5 pulled by Rover75 Diesel Auto.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

although i have used the route a couple of times its not by any means my favourite. odd times of sailing and disembarking being the worst of it - poor facilities at both ends doesn't help - price was the attraction.

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

although i have used the route a couple of times its not by any means my favourite. odd times of sailing and disembarking being the worst of it - poor facilities at both ends doesn't help - price was the attraction.

 

 

Fair comment Ivan. .......not good access in a storm either.

 

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Its the odd times that put me off too, even though we are only three miles from the port and as OAPs we get 20% discount. There was a time when they ran two boats and you could cross over early morning, have a super lunch in Dieppe, visit the hypermarket then evening ferry home. In fact in her younger days my Mum used to be in a country dance group and Sealink used to let them travel free once a month in return for putting on a dancing display. I have to say though I find the crossing itself excellent. Being mainly freight there is always bags of room in the passenger area, no coaches or school parties.

 

What I find more worrying is the future of Newhaven itself. It is very run down already, and it is the French ferry company that owns the port and the beach.


Hyundai Santa Fe CRD auto + Burstner Belcanto 525 TL

 

http://www. oldagetraveller. net/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lloyds Loading List today advises:-


France’s Seine Maritime Council has rejected MyFerryLink’s bid to operate the Dieppe-Newhaven ferry service under a new public concession due to take effect on 1 January 2015.


The Eurotunnel subsidiary had been the only candidate tendering for the concession following incumbent DFDS’ decision at the end of last month to pull-out of the race.


P&O Ferries and Brittany Ferries had already withdrawn their initial interest.


The head of the Council, Nicolas Rouly, told the local media that none of the candidates had been able to meet the terms and conditions of the tender which had been drawn up based on the experience of the current concession over the seven years.


This has seen the ferry crossing benefit from an annual subsidy from the Council of around €14 million in order to balance the books.


Doubtless the new tender had put tougher financial constraints on potential operators.


Rouly appeared to rule out the prospect of the closure of the service which has been mooted over the past couple of years given the heavy cash drain.


"The concession runs until 1 January 2015. This gives us time to present a new project," he added.


He went on to hint that the Council would be looking to attract new investors from the public and private sector to fund the service.


If time does run short with the re-issued tender, the Council could ask DFDS to continue operating the service for an additional year, a spokesman for the Port of Dieppe told Lloyds Loading List.


geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...