European Car Insurance Cover

I've just taken out my car Insurance with Admiral.

They must be buying business at the moment as they beat last years CC price of £290 by £102.

Yes over 33% reduction.

They only do 90 days European cover but that covers our needs for this year.

One thing to point out. . when the policy documents arrived they stated that whilst they provide 90 days of European cover it can only be taken in batches of 30 consecutive days.

I immediately rang to cancel (within the 14 day cooling off period) and was told they'd provide me with a letter saying all 90 days could be consecutive,

Two days later a letter arrived with a the Admiral letter heading stating just that.

Hope this may help someone.

G.

Hi G, Thanks for that will give them a go in April as my CC Ins comes up in May :)

Dave

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

Forgot to say. . took the insurance out through Compare the Market so SWMBO is getting a baby (Oleg) Meerkat!!!

£102 saved and a bucket full of brownie points too!!!!

Gotta be a good deal!!! :lol::lol::rolleyes:

LOL.

G.

Cover it in chilli sauce and feed it to the dogs then Graham. ............

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Wouldn't waste good chilli sauce (Dave's Insantity Sauce and Mild to Wild's Psycho Juice being the hottest I have!) and we don't have a dog. ..... so the good lady will have to take ownership of it!

G.

I've just taken out my car Insurance with Admiral.

They must be buying business at the moment as they beat last years CC price of £290 by £102.

Yes over 33% reduction.

They only do 90 days European cover but that covers our needs for this year.

One thing to point out. . when the policy documents arrived they stated that whilst they provide 90 days of European cover it can only be taken in batches of 30 consecutive days.

I immediately rang to cancel (within the 14 day cooling off period) and was told they'd provide me with a letter saying all 90 days could be consecutive,

Two days later a letter arrived with a the Admiral letter heading stating just that.

Hope this may help someone.

G.

Shouldn't any changes be incorporated into the policy schedule and certificate as these are the contractual documents?

Shouldn't any changes be incorporated into the policy schedule and certificate as these are the contractual documents?

Hi Beejay,

Neither the Policy Schedule or the Certificate of Motor Insurance make any mention of cover in Europe.

The following appears in their "Guide to your admiral Cover" booklet.

"Your policy automatically includes an International Certificate of Motor Insurance. This
provides cover for up to 30 consecutive days, in a single trip and up to a total of 90 days
in a year. Please call us if you think you may exceed these. We may be able to arrange
additional cover (subject to our Underwriting criteria and a charge).The International
Certificate of Motor Insurance is only valid in the following countries:
Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland,
France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania,
Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Cyprus, Republic of
Ireland, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland."
So I contacted them, as they requested, and they issued me with a letter on official Admiral Letterhead paper saying (and I quote)..
"I can confirm that under your certificate of motor insurance you are covered to drive in Europe for up to 90 days per policy term and this can be up to 90 consecutive days if required."
So as far as I'm concerned. .. the job's a goodun!!
G.
Edited by chapmag

Being using Admiral for 3 years no one ever comes close to them at renewal time :-)

Edited by digger65

Shogun SWB, Adria Isonzo +Dwt Paradies 280 . ... 78% match. Pitchin next to you sometime. ..!!!!

I will keep to the theme that Graham started ( now that's a change).......observations from a Doctors Surgery.

I have to see the Doctor or Nurse minimum of once a week these days. ...however, someone kindly donates loads of modern US & UK magazines, mainly motorhoming, to the surgery. ......today I was reading two copies of MMM which is probably the biggest of the British magazines. .... Two points came across regarding Insurance abroad. .....most of the people don't check that 90 days cover could be in one stretch or three as they don't read their policies. Lots of those who do extended trips don't tell their insurers either. ......

Funniest, was a couple who go to Austria or thereabouts skiing every year, but are incensed that RP want to charge them for the whole trip, all they want is cover from home for 4 days and another cover from base to home for another 4 days "We park up on site and don't move for two weeks and if we want to go anywhere we use the ski bus" . .......they don't take into account the fact that they could both break their legs etc. ...........Anyway, MMM advised they had had a ring round and nobody else was prepared to issue such limited cover,,

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

"I can confirm that under your certificate of motor insurance you are covered to drive in Europe for up to 90 days per policy term and this can be up to 90 consecutive days if required."
So as far as I'm concerned. .. the job's a goodun!!
G.

I would be very careful. A lot of insurers provide you with only the legal minimum - ie minimal 3rd party - for non-UK use. You may be OK but I would check that your full cover is extended to continental Europe.

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2, 1986 Honda XBR500

I would be very careful. A lot of insurers provide you with only the legal minimum - ie minimal 3rd party - for non-UK use. You may be OK but I would check that your full cover is extended to continental Europe.

Thanks for the concerns Ian. . but Fully Comp whilst in Europe is was one of my top reqts when I set off upon my annual search for Car Insurance!

G.

Edited by chapmag

This is a very good point. I came away from CC car ins a few years ago and went with Nation Wide fully com and was told you are covered for Europe, but when I had an accident it turned out the cover was only 3rd party and took me 2 years to get sorted and paid out. So if you go for fully com make sure to ask for like for like when in Europe. I always ask when ever I change Insurance companies. Be warned.

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

Being using Admiral for 3 years no one ever comes close to them at renewal time :-)

If you have any domestic or car insurance with LV, try them. They were way cheaper. They also do annual travel cover <very> competitively

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville