C Class Coupe Tow Car?

Pmcnicoll

I haven't gone insane, I hope. ...

Hoping to get our first van later this year. Really keen on a Sprite Major 4FB weighing in at 1343kgs, heavy for a first timer I know, but we like the fixed bed and larger bathroom.

I need to replace my 1-series, and have spent hours trawling through new car stats. I need to keep the Train weight below 3500kgs being the young whipper-snapper that I am. So every time I find a tow car with sufficient kerb weight to hit the 85% recommendation, I lose out on the total weight. The C class estate being one of the cars that falls into this trap. The saloon is an option, although slightly short on the kerb weight. Then I noticed the Coupe. It appears a perfect match - 83% and a GTW at 3428kgs - based on my preferred spec - C220 CDI Executive SE. This would be a brand new, company car, so got to make the right decision first time round.

But is it really practical?? It is rated to tow, and a healthy max tow weight at 1800, a tow bar factory fitted is an option. Is it to good to be true - an attractive coupe with stunning economy for my day to day travelling, and an ability to tug a decent caravan around for the holidays?

Grateful if someone could either tell me I am being stupid, or agree with choice - *confused face*......

Cheers

Paul

2014 BMW 420D M Sport Auto (electronic tow bar)

2015 Eriba Triton 420

The distance between the centre of the rear wheels and the towball is quite long on the C class this could lead to excessive pitching on undulating roads.

Try to find a vehicle with minimal distance between rear wheel centre and towball. It's one of the reasons that most MPVs and 4X4s are good tow cars, they tend to have wheels at all 4 corners rather than have large boot overhang.

Pete
Range Rover(s) towing Buccaneer Caravel

Try this. http://www. towcar. info/index. php. Even if the precise vehicles are not there you can adjust the values to suit.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

The 85% is only a recommended guide . As said the problem is trying to find a tow vehicle with a GVW under 2157kg to be under the 3500kg MTW.

A lot of people tow with Mondeos in your position as they fit the requirements.

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

With a kerbweight of 1615kg and a max gross weight of 2085kg 170bhp and 400 nm towing 1343kg ( all figures from the mercedes brochure ) it would seem to be a match made in heaven, enjoy it, I know I would.

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

Have a look at the figures for the D4 V60 Volvo they would appear to be just right as well. They are a good tow car and really comfortable especially in auto geartronic form.

You`ve seen a car you like, it ticks all the boxes, its a suitable match - go for it!

You could spend the entire summer looking at everyones suggestions on here and still be no further forward.

My only (personal) concern regarding the Merc would be the amount of boot space for all the junk equipment we take with us, but then not everyone travels like we do!

Go for it. Angus is right. Don't forget that most of your time will still be spent without the caravan on the back anyway. Company car means you get to swap it in a couple of seasons anyway.

We started off with an Alfa Romeo (which also slipped in under the 3500 weight limit) and it made an excellent towcar (only thing lacking was 4wd). I seem to remember soom doomsayer on here saying it was far too sporty for towing or some similar nonsense.

The distance between the centre of the rear wheels and the towball is quite long on the C class this could lead to excessive pitching on undulating roads.

Try to find a vehicle with minimal distance between rear wheel centre and towball. It's one of the reasons that most MPVs and 4X4s are good tow cars, they tend to have wheels at all 4 corners rather than have large boot overhang.

Thanks for the advise. 4x4's tend to tip the scales too far to stay under 3500kgs, and as a company car the taxation will be hefty. As for an MPV, I still want something that makes me look young and hip!

The 85% is only a recommended guide . As said the problem is trying to find a tow vehicle with a GVW under 2157kg to be under the 3500kg MTW.

A lot of people tow with Mondeos in your position as they fit the requirements.

Dave

I looked at the mondo but it comes in 23kgs too heavy - shame as it is a decent motor.

With a kerbweight of 1615kg and a max gross weight of 2085kg 170bhp and 400 nm towing 1343kg ( all figures from the mercedes brochure ) it would seem to be a match made in heaven, enjoy it, I know I would.

I like your style! :)

Have a look at the figures for the D4 V60 Volvo they would appear to be just right as well. They are a good tow car and really comfortable especially in auto geartronic form.

Worth a look, thanks for that one. I'll have a look at my local dealer as soon as.

You`ve seen a car you like, it ticks all the boxes, its a suitable match - go for it!

You could spend the entire summer looking at everyones suggestions on here and still be no further forward.

My only (personal) concern regarding the Merc would be the amount of boot space for all the junk equipment we take with us, but then not everyone travels like we do!

Thanks, good sound advise. We are only a couple, no ankle biters yet, so not a huge concern about boot space - we have managed with the 1 series relatively well.

Go for it. Angus is right. Don't forget that most of your time will still be spent without the caravan on the back anyway. Company car means you get to swap it in a couple of seasons anyway.

We started off with an Alfa Romeo (which also slipped in under the 3500 weight limit) and it made an excellent towcar (only thing lacking was 4wd). I seem to remember soom doomsayer on here saying it was far too sporty for towing or some similar nonsense.

Thanks :). It feels like a good choice - it needs to be a car firstly, and a tug on occasions. Sure I will get some odd looks if I get that combo, but I like to stand out from the crowd. :)

2015 Eriba Triton 420

Thanks :). It feels like a good choice - it needs to be a car firstly, and a tug on occasions. Sure I will get some odd looks if I get that combo, but I like to stand out from the crowd. :)

I don't know about odd looks, more like longing looks I would have thought. Now if I get rid of the dog one of those would do me quite well.

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

Go for it. I've got an e class estate, and its great. Rear can be a little soft and a little bit of movement at the rear, mainly due to the overhang and soft rear suspension.

Little tip, if your company insist on a oem towbar, check out the cost, as for me to got retro fit thru merc was over 2k, as merc insist upon additional coolers. But if you speak to a salesperson, they actually encourage you to go elsewhere! If you go factory order, they will put the coolers on in the factory.

Lastly, try to get the 7 speed auto if you can. Makes towing a dream, and tbh merc manual gearboxes aren't good and tow less than the auto. Check whether the 220 is a 6spd, if so, try to get the 7, its a peach!

Hi There

I changed to a C220 CDi (sports) last year (not a new one but the latest body dhape) and it has been a dream to tow with. My Avondale is 1350mgw adn the 170+bhp of the 220CDi loves it.

As to the overhang metioned, I get less rocking than with my previous Laguna, I think that MB suspension is better, plus haven't the latest C classes got clever suspension on all versions ( the estates had that on previous years)??

I'd go with it, plus you are only towing a brief percentage of your driving time !!

:)

"keep your motor running"

caravan: Avondale Avocet ( 2006) - tow car: Renault Laguna (2007) - play car: Mercedes 300SL (1988)

Hi There

I changed to a C220 CDi (sports) last year (not a new one but the latest body dhape) and it has been a dream to tow with. My Avondale is 1350mgw adn the 170+bhp of the 220CDi loves it.

As to the overhang metioned, I get less rocking than with my previous Laguna, I think that MB suspension is better, plus haven't the latest C classes got clever suspension on all versions ( the estates had that on previous years)??

I'd go with it, plus you are only towing a brief percentage of your driving time !!

:)

Thanks for your input, just what I wanted - someone with first hand experience. The MB brochure states -

Agility Control with Adaptive Damping System

(standard). The Agility Control suspension with Adaptive Damping System offers an ideal blend of cornering ability and comfort. Its dampers automatically adjust to the requirements of the situation or surface, enhancing damping levels and optimising stability particularly on poorly made road surfaces.

Is this what you are referring to. Talk of poorly made road surfaces is encouraging - living in Scotland means a daily battle with poorly made roads!

2015 Eriba Triton 420

Thanks for your input, just what I wanted - someone with first hand experience. The MB brochure states -

Agility Control with Adaptive Damping System

(standard). The Agility Control suspension with Adaptive Damping System offers an ideal blend of cornering ability and comfort. Its dampers automatically adjust to the requirements of the situation or surface, enhancing damping levels and optimising stability particularly on poorly made road surfaces.

Is this what you are referring to. Talk of poorly made road surfaces is encouraging - living in Scotland means a daily battle with poorly made roads!

Looks identical to what I have on my e class estate.

Page 15 of yours shows this http://tools. mercedes-benz. co. uk/current/passenger-cars/fleet-e-brochures/c-class-coupe. pdf

So basically self levelling suspension. Works like a dream, especially when towing!!

Page 28 of this will show you the same pic as yours

http://tools. mercedes-benz. co. uk/current/passenger-cars/e-brochures/e-class-saloon-estate-swp. pdf

Car gets my vote. Go for it!!!!

Might be also worth checking the price of a towbar fitted by MB and local fitters if there is any extra rear strengthening with rear cross members required or extra fans to maintain the warranty .

A little while ago someone found a towbar was £2k for a merc as it required extra cross members .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Might be also worth checking the price of a towbar fitted by MB and local fitters if there is any extra rear strengthening with rear cross members required or extra fans to maintain the warranty .

A little while ago someone found a towbar was £2k for a merc as it required extra cross members .

Dave

I had a dealer fitted towbar on our E-class Estate and cost about £800 if I recall.

Land Rover Discovery Sport 180 SE Tech 2016 - Fuji White

Coachman Festival 640/6 - 2011

Just go do the test - it's not that hard! - i hired a trailer on the morning of the test (as i didn't have access to a box trailer at the time) took my dad with me so I could tow, went to the test centre, passed the test and took the hire trailer back.

You'll need L plates for the front of the tow car, rear of the trailer and extended mirrors set up for the examiner.

Simples.

Al.

I thought I read the trailer test was changing ? Cant find any reference to it online .

EDIT.

Extra rules for the trailer test

You must tow a minimum weight for the practical test.

Trailers must have a minimum real weight of 800 kg and carry a minimum load of 600 kg of aggregates or 1 intermediate bulk container (IBC) of 1,000 kg or 600 kg capacity when filled with water. You can read more about rules covering load requirements.

The trailer must have an MAM of at least 1 tonne. The examiner may ask for evidence of the trailer’s MAM, eg the manufacturer’s plate.

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

i've recently changed from an audi a4 1. 9 tdi to a merc c250 estate sport plus amg. with it being the sport plus its slightly lower than a standard c class but the springs are stiffer so it doesn't make much difference.

towbar wise I would recommend the witter detachable with 13 pin elecs and use an adapter if needed. doing it that way no bumper cut is needed and sockets are hidden when not in use (all be it the socket is tight to get out, have to pull on lower edge of bumper, it saves cutting the bumper which is perfect on a company/lease car)

the dedicated kit is well worth going for, again plug and play, no wires need to be cut and can be used on other mercs (think e class aswell for sure) it does need to be coded in to the vehicle tho

• 2 months later...

Back again! So finally sorted the deal for the company car. £35k budget, my choice, no rules. Same requirements exist, diesel, economical, great to drive solo (I spend hours on the A roads of Scotland for work), enough oomph for an overtake (see previous note), and able to tug 1350kgs or so, but remain under 3500kgs GTW.

The C Class coupe was a firm favourite, but then the new C Class Salon launched and it's a stunner. Slightly lighter than the coupe, but not enough to cause concern. Another option is a 4 series BMW, but it's getting quite light, despite again having good towing credentials.

Decisions, decisions. ...

2015 Eriba Triton 420

I'd always go for the MB :)

"keep your motor running"

caravan: Avondale Avocet ( 2006) - tow car: Renault Laguna (2007) - play car: Mercedes 300SL (1988)

Guest Benzowner

All I have driven for the last 25 years is Mercs, hence the handle :D I have towed with a W124 E Class Coupe, no problems and currently tow with a B Class W245 not the new shape, won't tow my van but the old shape does. 30mpg when towing, overall 39mpg. Go for the C Class, they are great cars and fit a detachable tow bar.

The lead time on the merc c-class saloon are long, end of May before they get one for the showroom, then months of wait till I get mine. BMW have them ready to go, with £2. 5k worth of free extras before I even haggle. Just uncertain what a 420d would be like as a tug, and can't find any reference points for anyone that's tried. Although, the new convertible in under cover testing was spotted towing a trailer http://www. carmagazine. co. uk/upload/28876/images/300x200/four001. jpg.

I have tried to work it through in my head. The 420d weighs enough to make it suitable for towing 1300kg comfortably. It is rated to 1500kg with decent nose weight.

I have even considered the dimensions - compared to an Insignia Estate

It's 27cm shorter

The gap between the wheels is about the same

The gap from rear wheel to bumper is shorter - this should all make it a stable tug, shouldn't it?

2015 Eriba Triton 420