A W S Conciliation Service

millerhouse12

I've put this in the Bailey slot because it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else but isn't strictly about Bailey. I've documented on here previously the problems I had when a local Bailey dealer "repaired" my carvavan and left dents in the roof and a mis-aligned awning rail. They denied responsibility for the dents and wouldn't refit the awning rail. So on 5th November 2013 I raised a formal complaint with the AWS Conciliation Service. I received a brief email acknowlegement on 10th November which contained no details about how the complaint would be handled, how long it might take or anything else. The AWS website contains no information about the process. By the time the email was received, the dealer had phoned me to say that they would refit the awning rail and would have a look at the roof when it went into the workshop. He claimed Bailey were out of stock of the rail & would contact me when it became available. So I emailed AWS to tell them - no reply. Because the inital form contained limited space to detail the complaint, I sent a further letter on 20th November along with a DVD to give a better idea of the problems. No reply. By the end of December, I'd heard nothing from the dealer so emailed Bailey to find out if there really was a delay - Bailey confirmed the rail was in stock, so I copied the email to AWS with a plea for information on what would happen next. No reply. Contacted the dealer on 7th January who claimed that I'd made a booking on 3rd December to get the job done on 13th January! No I didn't. Nonetheless, took the caravan to the dealer who kept it for 2 weeks claiming that the new awning rail had been damaged & a replacement had to be ordered - full marks for inventiveness. Picked up the caravan on 27th January - new rail OK but roof not mentioned so I asked and was told they weren't going to do anything about it. I was not really surprised & immediately fired off another letter to AWS with an update requesting the complaint be actioned and another plea for, at least, an acknowledgement. Still no reply. So I'm left not knowing what AWS are doing or how long it will take. I am utterly appalled at the total lack of communcation by the AWS Conciliation Service and wondered if anybody else has had any dealings with them in the past. It is hardly surprising that manufacturers and dealers treat their customers with contempt when the body supposed to be overseeing the workshop scheme cannot be bothered to do its job. It would be interesting to know just how many complaints are upheld and whether any dealer has ever been removed from the scheme as a result of a customer complaint. Sorry for the rant, but I'm totally frustrated by all of this.

John M

Edited by millerhouse12

2017 Skoda Superb Estate 2. 0 Tdi 190; 2014 Swift Challenger 530SE + Powrtouch Evolution

Perhaps more of us should complain instead of accepting poor repairs.

As for materials arriving damaged that's very possible.

I had a farce were 3 pairs plus one single, of wardrobe doors were fitted over the first two years due to warping.

And I saw at least two pairs delivered to my house (to be fitted) and unpacked there to find them damaged in transit, the corners were crushed due to poor packaging.

After that the dealer unpacked them at the dealership.

The warping problem I sorted myself as the dealer appeared incapable, but was happy to keep changing doors, I can only assume it was a good earner for them.

Edited by xtrailman

AWS is a trade scheme administered by the NCC with some involvement of the 2 main clubs. It's main aim is to support the industry and it charges service companies to achieve 'accreditation'. Despite its rhetoric it is definitely not a consumer body.

The work carried out to your van would appear to come uder the Sale of Goods and Services Act 1982. I would not presume to give you advice, but if it were me I would not be wasting any more time with the AWS. I would commence proceedings in the County Court, but I would do it without further delay. If you check out how to make a Money Claim Online or the Small Claims Track on Google you will find a lot of very useful information. In the past I have used this to sue a car hire company and a mobile mechanic. I found the process very easy to use and as long as you have a legitimate case and document it clearly you should be OK. Incidentally I won both my claims and received full payment plus costs.

think you wasteing your time mate seems there are alot on here who buy there new van knowing its going to be faulty thats what they like lol lol

AWS is a trade scheme administered by the NCC with some involvement of the 2 main clubs. It's main aim is to support the industry and it charges service companies to achieve 'accreditation'. Despite its rhetoric it is definitely not a consumer body.

The work carried out to your van would appear to come uder the Sale of Goods and Services Act 1982. I would not presume to give you advice, but if it were me I would not be wasting any more time with the AWS. I would commence proceedings in the County Court, but I would do it without further delay. If you check out how to make a Money Claim Online or the Small Claims Track on Google you will find a lot of very useful information. In the past I have used this to sue a car hire company and a mobile mechanic. I found the process very easy to use and as long as you have a legitimate case and document it clearly you should be OK. Incidentally I won both my claims and received full payment plus costs.

The fact they have not had the coutesy to send a reply shows what an unprofessional orginisation they are!

I have said before on other posts. DONT WASTE YOUR TIME with the likes of the NCC and others in THE TRADE and I include the CC and C and CC.

The NCC is an organisation for "the boys" and look after their own, the trade pay big money to join the NCC and they are not going to cut the hand off that feeds them.

I had considered using the Small Claims Court, but one of the problems is that this was a warranty repair and therefore cost me nothing. I am much more concerned that this dealer gets to suffer in some way, but it will be difficult to use the court as I haven't actually suffered any financial loss. I have considered getting a quote for the roof to repaired (replaced?) but as I've recently discovered, the roof damage isn't going to reduce the value of the 'van at trade-in. (I've had some quotes) so it's debatable whether I would win, especially as I have no cast-iron proof that the dealer was responsible for the damage, something which they are clearly relying upon. In addition, if I understand the advice on using the Small Claims Court, you stand a better chance of winning if it can be shown that you have exhausted all other avenues. Rushing to litigation benefits nobody. I'm more concerned that the AWS Conciliation Service looks as though it is a con, despite being promoted by the trade and both major clubs, which was why I asked if anybody else had used them. Experiences, good or bad would be useful if anybody has had the misfortune to call upon their services.

John M

Edited by millerhouse12

2017 Skoda Superb Estate 2. 0 Tdi 190; 2014 Swift Challenger 530SE + Powrtouch Evolution

I had considered using the Small Claims Court, but one of the problems is that this was a warranty repair and therefore cost me nothing. I am much more concerned that this dealer gets to suffer in some way, but it will be difficult to use the court as I haven't actually suffered any financial loss. I have considered getting a quote for the roof to repaired (replaced?) but as I've recently discovered, the roof damage isn't going to reduce the value of the 'van at trade-in. (I've had some quotes) so it's debatable whether I would win, especially as I have no cast-iron proof that the dealer was responsible for the damage, something which they are clearly relying upon. In addition, if I understand the advice on using the Small Claims Court, you stand a better chance of winning if it can be shown that you have exhausted all other avenues. Rushing to litigation benefits nobody. I'm more concerned that the AWS Conciliation Service looks as though it is a con, despite being promoted by the trade and both major clubs, which was why I asked if anybody else had used them. Experiences, good or bad would be useful if anybody has had the misfortune to call upon their services.

John M

In view of your comments John I suggest you stop wasting your time. It's up to you. I wouldn't describe using the County Court after being ignored for some considerable time as "rushing to litigation" but we all have our own opinions. I think very few caravan owners are fooled by the AWS scheme. Good luck with whatever it is you are seeking to achieve.