Jump to content

Powrtouch Mover Cutting Out.


iancwilx
 Share

Recommended Posts

Our Powrtouch mover has worked perfectly for the past eight years since we bought it, but when we reached our first site of 2014 a couple of weeks ago and put the mover on to get onto the pitch, the motors cut out after a second or so each time I pressed the control button and only moved the van about 3 inches each time.

Strangely, when I run the motors without the rollers touching the tyre, they run perfectly in all combinations without any cut outs at all. It only happens when the rollers are in the "On tyre" position and under torque.

I let the motors run for quite a while in each direction without touching the tyre to see if it would free them up, but the problem persists.

The brakes obviously aren't binding as I had towed to the site with no probs, and we NEVER leave the brake on over the Winter period when the van is left for a few weeks.

 

Any help greatly appreciated guys,

 

~ Wilky

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi, From your description, it sounds like the battery has had it, may be showing a full charge, but you need to get a load test carried out to see if it has dead cells. most battery outlets will offer this service.


Skegness 'The Sunnier Side of Britain'

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Check the battery in the handset, also you could connect the handset using the umbilical cable to rule out a transmission issue between the handset and the receiver.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi just had same problem battery not holding charge when pressure is put on battery has not enough charge, have you tried batteries in handset

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think you guys might have put your finger on it. We've had the battery ten years and I've not topped up the cells for about 18 months. What I find confusing is that the control panel in the van shows the battery giving 12. 6v, but as you say, this can happen but may have failed cells.

 

We'll see what a new battery does, about time I bought one anyway !

 

Cheers,

 

~ Wilky

Link to comment
Share on other sites

try checking what the battery reading says when you press the mover button - I had the same problem with an old battery with our powertouch - when I started the mover the voltage dropped to 6v and the mover cut out

 

I got a good 135ah battery from www. tayna. co. uk with next day delivery

Edited by discodunc
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think you guys might have put your finger on it. We've had the battery ten years and I've not topped up the cells for about 18 months. What I find confusing is that the control panel in the van shows the battery giving 12. 6v, but as you say, this can happen but may have failed cells.

 

We'll see what a new battery does, about time I bought one anyway !

 

Cheers,

 

~ Wilky

If your meter on the control panel is anything like mine forget it, it can read anywhere between 11. 5 to 12. 5v with a fully charged battery buy yourself a multimeter to get a better reading Aldi and Lidl do them cheap. Then check the voltage at the battery when trying to use the mover will give you a better idea. Edited by dave11a
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They also cut out if you are trying to operate too far away from the van.

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've had the battery out and checked the cells. They were all half empty so I filled them with distilled water. I then checked the voltage with a voltameter and it read 12. 6v. output. I've put it on charge overnight even though the "Battery fully charged" indicator light on the charger is on rather than the "Battery charging" light. I have checked the charger is firmly connected.

Do you think the ten year old batteries cells are damaged so that it shows as fully charged but voltage falls dramatically when power is taken.

 

~ Wilky


Just noted Dave11a comment. Yes I'll test battery voltage whilst operating mover tomorrow and see what happens.

 

~ Wilky

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Your battery is knackered, simple as that.

If it has been left, as you say for 18 months with partly dry plates they will be permanently damaged.

The most likely outcome of trying to charge the battery is that it will overheat, and possibly blow up.

Do NOT leave it overnight on charge, unless you want a reshaped garage and acid all over everything.

Do the sensible thing and ditch it NOW

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've just gone out to the garage and taken it off charge !!

Right, I'm going to take the advice and ditch it, it doesn't owe me anything after 10 years use !

Bearing in mind that we have a two berth caravan with standard size battery compartment, any recommendations as to what type of leisure battery would best drive the mover etc. ? The current battery is a "Platinum Lifestyle" 85ah (20HR Rate).

 

~ Wilky

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...