Gas.....

Timanita

Hi all,

Ok we have a van that is fitted with an easy changeover valve and currently has a small butane bottle attached, I want to get one of these calor light bottles but they only have propane in them. .... . .will the valve fit the same, or do I have to stick with butane. ....? And can I use the butane bottle on one side of the valve and propane on the other. ...?

Thanks for any info.

Tim

I'M OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER. ...But I don't. ...???

Two different animals I am afraid. ....totally different fittings. ..one left hand thread or clip clip on for butane and right hand thread for propane. .........whilst butane is cheaper most caravanners tend to stay with propane year round. ...

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

Dave, the caravan is a 2014 so will have the bulkhead regulator.

All that should be required is the pigtail to connect the gas bottle to the changeover valve.

Two different animals I am afraid. ....totally different fittings. ..one left hand thread or clip clip on for butane and right hand thread for propane. .........whilst butane is cheaper most caravanners tend to stay with propane year round. ...

geoff

Correct, although the propane is left hand thread. Well my Calor one is.

Hi all,

Ok we have a van that is fitted with an easy changeover valve and currently has a small butane bottle attached, I want to get one of these calor light bottles but they only have propane in them. .... . .will the valve fit the same, or do I have to stick with butane. ....? And can I use the butane bottle on one side of the valve and propane on the other. ...?

Thanks for any info.

Tim

Yes you can, just buy the correct pigtail to suit.

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk

BP lite is propane and uses a butane fitting???

nissan xtrail tekna 173 . ....SERIES 2 UNICORN VALENCIA 2013

You need a different pigtail for the propane bottle which can be bought from any caravan dealer.

You can leave the butane one on one side of the changeover valve and have a propane on the other. You don't need a new regulator. The changeover & regulator will work with both butane and propane or one of each

post-11298-0-83556100-1392109653_thumb.jpg

Edited by Grandpa Steve
Inappropriate comment removed

Correct, although the propane is left hand thread. Well my Calor one is.

Check the Calor site then before you use it. ......! It is the pigtail that has a LH thread

geoff

Calor butane and propane in steel cylinders both use a left hand thread. The difference is that propane has the female thread on the cylinder while butane has the male.

Both the cylinder and pigtail thread have to be the same left or right hand or they could not fit together.

That's the one great thing that comes from a globalised economy. ...standardisation. ....

No safety comes first.

Geoff

Hi ya, thanks to all for the info. .....I ended up calling into a Calor center and got a calor lite bottle, with a new pig tail to suit, guy in there says just connect and use either one with the reg, just might be a bit spluttery when you've switched from one to the other but once clear it will be fine.

Thanks all again

Tim

I'M OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER. ...But I don't. ...???

Glad you are sorted. ..

geoff

Check the Calor site then before you use it. ......! It is the pigtail that has a LH thread

geoff

Geoff, Both bottle and pigtail MUST have the same thread albeit left ot right handed or they will not make up.

Geoff, Both bottle and pigtail MUST have the same thread albeit left ot right handed or they will not make up.

Sori but after 30 years I have worked that out. ......it was another poster who queried my query. ......

geff

Sori but after 30 years I have worked that out. ......it was another poster who queried my query. ......

geff

Hi Geoff, as you quoted my post, i assumed you were replying to me? :lol:

Hi Geoff, as you quoted my post, i assumed you were replying to me? :lol:

Its the pills!!

Geoff

Got any spare???? :P

YOU would not want them or what I take em for. ...

Cheers

Geoff

Hello all,

I think between you all the question has been answered but just to add our 2 pennies worth. Modern bulkhead regulators on touring caravans can use either Butane or Propane, just requiring a pigtail with the appropriate fitting on the end. Butane & Propane cylinders have different fittings so when used with a bottle mounted regulator you cannot use the wrong regulator on the wrong bottle. The BP light has a 27mm clip on fitting just like a Patio gas bottle which are both propane. Butane clip on fittings are either 21mm in the case of Calor or 20mm in the case of competitors, so again you cannot fit the wrong regulator on the wrong bottle for safety.

Thanks

Nicola - Calor